Favourite teacher

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

'Phallic' Mathews was the strangest of strange science teachers.

Set the pupils an experiment then pop out for a fag !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
MB1981
2nd Former

Post by MB1981 »

Bomber Nicholson
Dick Dawe
Pinky Palmer
Nick Jones
Pete Farrar
Louis Bardou
Tom Jeffers
Tony Waller

that should do for a start.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

MB1981 - just noticed you are in Fareham - I lived there for 9 years.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
MB1981
2nd Former

Post by MB1981 »

Vonny wrote:MB1981 - just noticed you are in Fareham - I lived there for 9 years.
Going a bit off topic, but yes, I've been down in Fareham for over 20 years now. I'm not local to the area, but I sound like it these days!
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

MB1981 wrote:I've been down in Fareham for over 20 years now. I'm not local to the area, but I sound like it these days!
:lol:

I wasn't local to the area either. I moved back "home" a couple of years back now. Can't say I miss the M27 (or the M275) one bit.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Goatherd
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Goatherd »

Louis Bardou? I remember him saying that Racine "certainly knew his onions". I couldn't take him seriously after that!
Goatherd
Goatherd
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Goatherd »

'Phallic' Matthews; my Housemaster and also famous for the comment: "Don't waste those splints boys; they don't grow on trees"!
Goatherd
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Goatherd wrote:'Phallic' Matthews; my Housemaster and also famous for the comment: "Don't waste those splints boys; they don't grow on trees"!
He of the permanent fag in mouth and nicotined fingers !
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

First time on this website, and the nostalgia is killing me! This particular string will run and run.
John Hall Matthews: junior house master Maine A and asst chaplain - I remember watching the first moon landing in his front room, and I will never forget his efforts to stamp out the more invidious bullying of squits by their "nursemaids."
Bob Hailey: a soccer man, but a gentleman. (Hell, nobody's perfect.)
BSGregory: who inevitably had the m-m-mickey taken something rotten, but was a good housemaster.
Peter Brotherton: as with most of the teachers I remember well, he never taught me (coincidence?) - great guy.
Christopher "S#d" Stace - I remember once raising my hand while holding a handkerchief and being asked if I was answering the question or offering my surrender. He liked sarcasm, but he got me through Latin O level, and I quite liked his style.
Gerald Davies: I played wing forward against him in a Colts v. Masters game. Ouch.
Noel Thingy-Wotsit: the first drama teacher at CH. Thank you, even if I can't remember your surname.
Richard Palmer: another all round good man.
Killer Fry: he always reminded me of Gregory Peck. (Apologies to very young Old Blues.)
And a guy who briefly taught me medieval history who had a very beautiful daughter.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Noel Thingy-Wotsit was of course Duncan Noel-Payton. How could I forget?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Ajarn Philip wrote:First time on this website, and the nostalgia is killing me! This particular string will run and run.
John Hall Matthews: junior house master Maine A and asst chaplain - I remember watching the first moon landing in his front room, and I will never forget his efforts to stamp out the more invidious bullying of squits by their "nursemaids."
Bob Hailey: a soccer man, but a gentleman. (Hell, nobody's perfect.)
BSGregory: who inevitably had the m-m-mickey taken something rotten, but was a good housemaster.
Peter Brotherton: as with most of the teachers I remember well, he never taught me (coincidence?) - great guy.
Christopher "S#d" Stace - I remember once raising my hand while holding a handkerchief and being asked if I was answering the question or offering my surrender. He liked sarcasm, but he got me through Latin O level, and I quite liked his style.
Gerald Davies: I played wing forward against him in a Colts v. Masters game. Ouch.
Noel Thingy-Wotsit: the first drama teacher at CH. Thank you, even if I can't remember your surname.
Richard Palmer: another all round good man.
Killer Fry: he always reminded me of Gregory Peck. (Apologies to very young Old Blues.)
And a guy who briefly taught me medieval history who had a very beautiful daughter.
I'd never noticed the similarity, but now that you mention it !!
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

And where on earth did he get the nickname "Killer"? I can't claim to have had much to do with him other than the resounding echo of his gavel acting as a cue to read grace, but he always seemed to me to be a gentleman.
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

NT Fryer - scrum half for Harlequins - as a Grecian I was sent to take one of his classes on a Match day. The class tried to set light to me but fortunately did not succeed. A long forty minutes. He took over Col.B at short notice when AH Buck was sacked in 1955? 56?.

Fallic Matthews - wore an old sports jacket with his 'office' in one inside pocket (cheque book, letters, papers, all manner of useful things). The jacket was odd colours in front as he had eye problems I believe picked up in the war & often didn't pour straight. I avoided the front row of his class as one never knew what - nitric acid etc - would land in one's lap. No memory at all of him popping out for a smoke!

The lab behind him had belonged to Mr Jarvis who died in harness 1951? He always insisted 'A chemist is a clean animal.'

My favourites? Gad Malins, David Jesson-Dibley; big debts to Bill Armistead, Gordon Van Praagh and Pongo Littlefield.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I seem to remember 'Killer' Fry had quite a glowing military record. Could that have had anything to do with it ? I seemed to remember he held quite a high decoration.

N.T. Fryer was my housemaster, (see other posts), and stories of Mr Buck still resounded around Coleridge in the early 60's. I wasn't aware he was dismissed. Would anyone care to elaborate on this matter ?
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

Was never sure if 'Killer' was justified, but he did win a Military Cross, not sure which campaign.
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989