St Matthew's Day 1945

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

vyoudale
2nd Former

St Matthew's Day 1945

Post by vyoudale »

During the War we could not go up to London from Hertford for St. Matthew’s Day, and I think there was no procession or show, but in 1945 the Monitresses from Hertford and, I suppose, the Grecians from Horsham, were invited to the Mansion House for tea and for the presentation of the guinea. It was very exciting for us, and we were given a conducted tour of the Mansion House, including the cellars where all the gold “trophies/works of art” presented by each retiring Lord Mayor were stored. Most impressive! We met the Lord Mayor, who handed us the money, and then we had tea in the main hall, as far as I remember, sitting where we could, even on the floor. It was a fabulous occasion and enabled us girls to meet some boys!

Virginia Youdale (James 1’s and 8’s 1938-1946)
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: St Matthew's Day 1945

Post by Katharine »

Welcome to the Forum - and for telling us a story I, at least, have never heard before. I think Neill the Notorious is about the same vintage as you, so you may have met him there!

Please tell us some more of your memories. Midget will tell you that we have very few contributions from the older Hertford generations. I was there when Wards became Houses but DR had already brought in many of her changes.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

I certianly think that tradition must have died out but whne would be interesting to know. Seemed like a really good event and of course the chance to meet Hersham boys! Hersham boys!

My first encounter with Hertford gals was in my last term when SG (oops me) and School Mointors were invited to the school Speech Day which was held quite early on in the summer term for some reson.
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Welcome to the Forum, Virginia!
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Speech Day was indeed early to Mid June. No idea why.except Hertford had 4 terms and we went home in early July.

I remember this becasue Prizegiving was the last day of Term and in 1972 it was 4th July and 3 years later my University Graduation ceremony was the same date.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

p.s. Welcome Virginia. Nice to show the young ones that nothing changes. In 1945 18 year old girls were thinking of meeting boys too.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

It was in my UV/Lower VI year that the Hertford school moved to four terms, and I was in the first party of girls taken abroad in October (we went to Souillac in the Dordogne) - the very year that the school year changed. It's all detailed in DR's autobiography. And we did have some adventures.. especially on the train coming home when DRW and She Who Would Not Be Named (Miss Richards) had to patrol the corridors to stop Italian/Greek sailors assaulting their precious charges!
I actually left school on 4 July 1966 - we thought it very appropriate that this was the day to celebrate American Independence.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Welcome Virginia. I think you were Senior Mon in 1s in my first year, and I was very much in awe of someone so grownup and sporty. Was Barbara Blake the othr senior Mon?
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Yes Virginia, We must be of the same "Vintage" I only got to London because I was a Bandsman (Captain of Bugles and Cornet )
I only ever (As I have mentioned on other "Topics) achieved the rank of Geography Deputy Grecian, who were notorious for being Thick and Athletic, in '45-'46.
I remember meeting the Hertford Girls, on a couple of occasions, and was suitably impressed, although I have to confess, that, at that age, I was a slow starter, who regarded Girls, as strange, interesting creatures, who didn't play Rugby.
I confess to being a Virgin, until I met my first Wife. I think things were nicer in those days.
She was also Virginia, Happy days for 20 years---until she found somebody prettier than I !
Now married for 33 years to Anne ! ---- End of CV ! If we are ever at an Old Blues Day, we could get together and bore the pants off all the younger OBs with "Ah well, things were so much better in our day ! " Even if they were not !
By the way, He who was prettier, whom she married, was less pretty by then --- I told you -- "Thick and Athletic"
:twisted: :axe: :lol:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Yes Virginia, We must be of the same "Vintage" I only got to London because I was a Bandsman (Captain of Bugles and Cornet )
I only ever (As I have mentioned on other "Topics) achieved the rank of Geography Deputy Grecian, who were notorious for being Thick and Athletic, in '45-'46.
I remember meeting the Hertford Girls, on a couple of occasions, and was suitably impressed, although I have to confess, that, at that age, I was a slow starter, who regarded Girls, as strange, interesting creatures, who didn't play Rugby.
I confess to being a Virgin, until I met my first Wife. I think things were nicer in those days.
She was also Virginia, Happy days for 20 years---until she found somebody prettier than I !
Now married for 33 years to Anne ! ---- End of CV ! If we are ever at an Old Blues Day, we could get together and bore the pants off all the younger OBs with "Ah well, things were so much better in our day ! " Even if they were not !
By the way, He who was prettier, whom she married, was less pretty by then --- I told you -- "Thick and Athletic"
:twisted: :axe: :lol:
Thank you for letting us know. Possibly TMI
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I'm not commenting further !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Geography Deputy Grecian, who were notorious for being Thick and Athletic, in '45-'46.

Yeah, they were known as Jogger Deps.

(Geddit? Ha ha, excuse the anachronism, I think "jogger" in this sense was invented in the 70s.)
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

michael scuffil wrote:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Geography Deputy Grecian, who were notorious for being Thick and Athletic, in '45-'46.

Yeah, they were known as Jogger Deps.

(Geddit? Ha ha, excuse the anachronism, I think "jogger" in this sense was invented in the 70s.)
Possibly to become 'Merchant Bankers' ??
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

OOOOH ! J R ---Merchant Bankers -- now there's a contemporary insult !
Beware ! Remember they were -- and some still are ATHLETIC ! ! :axe:
Wish I had the Pension -- I'd give up the three I have !