Teacher Memories

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Teacher Memories

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I suppose there are few of us left, who remember "Old Dido" (Actually Queen of Carthage ).
He returned to teach at CH during the War, having joined as a Master on the move in 1902 !
An elderly gentleman, with gravy stains on his waistcoat, one story concernes a pupil entering the class and not knowing that Dido was behind the door ---- "Oh ! I havn't done the old B*******r's Prep
Dido proceeds to the front of the class and pronounces "In my time, I have been called Old Dido and an Old Fool, but never before, to the best of my knowledge, have I been called an Old B*******er ! " --- collapse of Class in Hysterics !
I thought he was a wonderful old chap, teaching Maths and returning from Retirement, to do his bit for CH.
Despite the above incident I think he was well respected.
It was common to imitate his voice,-- which I cannot do in print, but never with malice.
Any other Geriatrics remember him ?
This post shows the time as 11.28 pm ---- IT ain't ! it is 10.28 pm JR Who's watch is wrong ? Daylight saving ?
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Re: Teacher Memories

Post by Ajarn Philip »

On my screen the post was timed at 5.28 a.m. on Friday - I've set mine up for local time here in Thailand. You need to go into your Control Panel (top left under Board Index) and adjust the time settings.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

The time displayed depends on whether you're logged in or not.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL.

The nick-name means nothing to me.

Bearing in mind I started in 1958, would he have been back at Housey then ? And if so, what was his proper name ?

John.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Sorry, Can't remember his real name, We might need an Old Blue from the 39-- 40s are any (Other than Myself-- and I'm not sure !) still alive !!
There was another Master, about whom I felt sorry, Mr Sergeant, who was French and taught languages, He had got out of France in 1940 as the Germans arrived, with very little, except his life.
His Joke, repeated "Ad nauseum" was "In the French Army I was Sergeant Sergeant " He was nice chap, but had no idea of discipline, as the bell went the class headed for the door, with him imploring " Your Prep Your Prep !" the last boy through the door switched out the lights !
It is only later in life, that one regrets these pranks, played on a decent man who had a lot of problems, of which we knew nothing. Too late now, but if he has a PC where he is ------- I'm Sorry ! --- :( :(
John Knight
Deputy Grecian

Post by John Knight »

Neill, I don't remember 'Old Dido' but Mr Sergeant was there in my time - I think!!
It is only in recent years that I am told that Mr McConnell (BaB House Master circa 1949 - 52) had been a prisoner of the Japanese in the war.
John
Prep B 49 / Barnes B 39 - 1946-1952
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Was this the Sam Sargeant who was a long-time hall warden and is visible here http://www.chforum.info/pictures/brianl ... l-1952.jpg ?
Th.B. 27 1955-63
John Knight
Deputy Grecian

Post by John Knight »

michael scuffil wrote:Was this the Sam Sargeant who was a long-time hall warden and is visible here http://www.chforum.info/pictures/brianl ... l-1952.jpg ?
Ah, that is the Sargeant that I remember...
Prep B 49 / Barnes B 39 - 1946-1952
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Two things, Firstly, somebody on the "French Teacher " postings has mentioned a Sam Sergeant, teaching French --- this might be the nice chap to whom I was referring , who lacked discipline ?
I didn't "DO" French, being, as I have said a "Thicko" athlete, I was taught German, which, I may say was quite a good option in 1940 ! (Not many Overseas Holidays !)
Being, after 6 years, reasonably fluent in German, the Army, naturally, made my first Overseas posting to an ITALIAN speaking country --- Libya. (It was then ) Later, when buying rail tickets in Via Reggio, in 2006, I apologised for my rusty Italian, the Ticket Office man said (As they do --) "No its very good ----- but where did you getr that dreadful Sicilian accent ? "
I replied "Well--- there was this girl called Graziella " He raised his eyes skyward, blew a kiss in the air and exclaimed -- "BELLISSIMA !" I love the Italians !
My German, having spent 3 years there , in the Army and having worked for a German Firm, is good, but not good enough as I am always taken for a Dutchman !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I expect Detention, for being "Off Topic" bur I couldn't think where else to put it !
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote: My German, having spent 3 years there , in the Army and having worked for a German Firm, is good, but not good enough as I am always taken for a Dutchman !!!
ALL Englishmen who speak reasonably good German are assumed by the Germans to be Dutch. I've lived in Germany for 40 years and they still think so. I clearly don't sound German, and no one believes any Brit can speak a foreign language, so...
A Dutch accent in German actually sounds quite different.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:
My German, having spent 3 years there , in the Army and having worked for a German Firm, is good, but not good enough as I am always taken for a Dutchman !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I expect Detention, for being "Off Topic" bur I couldn't think where else to put it !
Off topic still, I was born and originally raised in stock-broker belt Surrey.

1958-1963, emerged from CH with what my friends called a 'very posh public school accent'.

Years in the police refined the accent to a Southern accent.

Then several years working in London, a large part in the east end and Barking, managing ex-dockers mainly. That ceased in the 80's.

To this day, if I'm 'Toop North' or away from the South, I'm still asked....

"What part of London do you come from ?"
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

J.R. wrote:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:

Off topic still, I was born and originally raised in stock-broker belt Surrey.

1958-1963, emerged from CH with what my friends called a 'very posh public school accent'.

Years in the police refined the accent to a Southern accent.

Then several years working in London, a large part in the east end and Barking, managing ex-dockers mainly. That ceased in the 80's.

To this day, if I'm 'Toop North' or away from the South, I'm still asked....

"What part of London do you come from ?"
where?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

where what, Mary ?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Where is Toop North?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Anywhere further up than the Watford Gap as far as I'm concerned.