Michael Marland

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

East Gun Copse
2nd Former

Michael Marland

Post by East Gun Copse »

I see in The Times today an obituary for Michael Marland Th A 44-53. he was a larger than life character at school and as head of North Westminster Community School he was seldom out of the news. He was often wheeled on by the media as an expert on Comprehensive education. One year with tongue in cheek he inserted a notice in The Times along with all the leading public schools, announcing the start of his comprehensive school term with the head boy and other leading office holders.

I best remember him at school when he, with some others put on a group of plays in the Easter holidays in the bomb ruins of St Annes church Soho. Looking back it was an awesome undertaking, having to clear the ground of rubble and weeds, erect a stage, obtain seating and other equipment and publicise it. This was apart from producing an rehearsing the various plays. I don't remember any staff being involved in any way. I, like many others was roped in to help with the ground preparation and also the publicity. ( I remember getting on the evening TV news on one occasion) It was quite an eye opener for us curious schoolboys watching and timing the ladies of the street plying their trade across the way. From evidence we found when clearing the site we had invaded their territory and field of operation. I went to two of the performances and they put on an excellant show. I wonder now how they funded the initial costs, did the school act as "angels" or was it parents, money was fairly tight in the early fifties.

Is there anyone who remembers this event?
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Michael Marland

Post by Mid A 15 »

I read The Times obituary. He certainly seems to have been his own man and something of a pioneer.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

I've only just caught up on this, sorry. The play was 'A Shoemaker's Holiday' by Thomas Dekker. I was going to be involved in this (in some insignificant capacity) - MM was going to take the play on tour to Holland! but RAF CCF Corps Camp clashed and I went on that instead. I do remember going to soemthing in St Anne's but can't remember what. Sorry if these reminiscences are scrambled/cross-threaded.

The net is extreme regret at MM's passing - he was a great man and fulfilled the Charge by taking his CH ethos to chldren who would otherwise never have experienced it. One of several headmasters in Flecker's footsteps - Silk, Winter, Peiser etc.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

I think that he was a Roman Catholic, and thus excused Sunday evening chapel. It was alleged that, during the chapel service, he got into the masters' common room from the tube, by using a service lift, and liberated a bottle of wine. If this is true I certainly never got a taste.
Col A 1946-1953
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

East Gun Copse wrote:I see in The Times today an obituary for Michael Marland Th A 44-53.
I best remember him at school when he, with some others put on a group of plays in the Easter holidays in the bomb ruins of St Annes church Soho. Looking back it was an awesome undertaking, having to clear the ground of rubble and weeds, erect a stage, obtain seating and other equipment and publicise it. This was apart from producing an rehearsing the various plays. I don't remember any staff being involved in any way. I, like many others was roped in to help with the ground preparation and also the publicity. ( I remember getting on the evening TV news on one occasion) It was quite an eye opener for us curious schoolboys watching and timing the ladies of the street plying their trade across the way. From evidence we found when clearing the site we had invaded their territory and field of operation. I went to two of the performances and they put on an excellant show. I wonder now how they funded the initial costs, did the school act as "angels" or was it parents, money was fairly tight in the early fifties.

Is there anyone who remembers this event?
I remember this. I went round various offices etc in the area with advertising leaflets which we tried to persuade people to put up. There were a group of us, sent out in various directions. We were all in uniform. I never saw the play. I am glad to learn that it was good.
Col A 1946-1953
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Yes, my uncle (an old boy of the school) took me to see the play at St Anne's in Soho. I think they put on some sort
of medieval passion play and hired a live lamb, which may have been "mock sacrificed" in the plot. I too as a young
lad was agog at the ladies of the street. It was such a pity when they were cleared off in later years to be replaced
by doorway notices like "Ethel, 3rd floor, Walk up".
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

rockfreak wrote:Yes, my uncle (an old boy of the school) took me to see the play at St Anne's in Soho. I think they put on some sort
of medieval passion play and hired a live lamb, which may have been "mock sacrificed" in the plot. I too as a young
lad was agog at the ladies of the street. It was such a pity when they were cleared off in later years to be replaced
by doorway notices like "Ethel, 3rd floor, Walk up".

...... from outside whose door could probably be heard a Mermanring.

I'll fetch my coat..... TAXI !!!!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.