underwear

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

midget
Button Grecian

Re: underwear

Post by midget »

They used to do G&S at the end of the winter term, our upper VI used to go.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

The story used to be that the Upper VI were invited to Haileybury for their winter ball, but the condition was that we had to wear our outdoor shoes. Hence none of us went.....
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

We went to a production at Haileybury of Maria Marten or Murder in the Red Barn. This must have been in the autumn term, 1959. We wore full winter uniform & caps, I think. To stay on topic, I must add that the winter underwear then was a pair of "blues" over a pair of white calico "linings". Winter legwear was a pair of Brettles brown lisle stockings held up by a parent-provided suspender belt. Add a pair of brown lace-up shoes and you get the whole grisly picture. The last place you'd want to be seen wearing that lot would be a boys' school.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

MaryB wrote:

I'm also fairly sure that we were once invited to a dance or something at Haileybury, when in the 6th form, and were told that we could go, but would have to wear Sunday uniform, complete with cherry red blazers. End of story. Or have I made that up? Munch, do you remember it?

I remember that :)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

That was always the story but I never remember anyone discussing it, it was a given, who actually saw the invitation?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

Mr Mulholland took a group to Haileybury once a week for computing lessons. We typed our programs onto paper tape, and left them to be transmitted to the computer (which wasn't at Haileybury, but somewhere in London I think) late at night when it was cheaper. Progress must have been slow as we had to wait till the next week to find out if our programs had any errors. I wrote a program to calculate the sum of a convergent series, but it was returned with a critical note saying that it took too long to run, and had to be interrupted. Obviously it didn't converge fast enough. I was a bit upset, feeling accused of extravagance, but I hadn't been given any guidance on how to estimate how long it would take to run.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

and how long would it take now Mary, blink of an eye?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:
MaryB wrote:

I'm also fairly sure that we were once invited to a dance or something at Haileybury, when in the 6th form, and were told that we could go, but would have to wear Sunday uniform, complete with cherry red blazers. End of story. Or have I made that up? Munch, do you remember it?

I remember that :)
I don't remember it at all! Goodness, I would have been so excited! Illicit makeup emerging from its hiding places! And I bet, I just bet that home clothes would have been smuggled in for the occasion. Unless (moan) we'd have had a strict chaperone...

But then - I was so fat - I would have spent the occasion lurking tearfully by the fire escape...
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""