Catchphrase

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Catchphrase

Post by Deb GP »

From reading the other threads, I've been reminded that nearly every teacher & member of staff has a particular mannerism, cathcphrase, bon mot or the like.

One enduring one for me is an exclaimation from JDShippen "Don't circumsize the Brie, laddie" at one dinner with Mr Whetham.

Or more simply - the way Dr Martin used to start every section of his lesson with "Now Folks".

Remind us of others.
Jeeves
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Jeeves »

Mr. Eason: "ssh"
Mrs. Higgins: "Right"
Mr. Marlow: "Rugby, Football, Cricket... Bosh"
Mr. Philips: "Roll call, gentlemen"
Mr. Bailey: (waking boys by singing) "Good morning... good morning"
Mr. Chandler: "errr... grow up"
Mr. Gamble: "uh-huh-uh-huh"
Mr. McEwen: "mmmYah"

There's loads more, but forgotten them!
graham
Deputy Grecian

Post by graham »

Mr O'Boyle - yeah (at the end of every sentence)
Mr Grimshaw - 'ere chaps

I'll never forget the morning at shoe inspection (how lame was that!) that he said " would the person who wrote KHG is a sh1t on the toilet window see me afterwards!" He was so calm and collected. Good housemaster, if a little square.
stoice
2nd Former

Post by stoice »

Classic Miss Sprosen (Mrs Stamp) - Now what do you think you're doing!

Everyone took the piss but she was a great house mistress, very fair and lenient the older you got.
Stoice
Ba B 92-99
Sophie
2nd Former

Post by Sophie »

oh my god
Mr McEwen what ever happened to him? he was such a dude, used to say sh1t like "rolling on like a roller in the ocean", priroette (sp?) on the desk top and call all boys malcom and all girls shirely. Loved that guy.
LHB 96-02, GE 02/03
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Sophie wrote:oh my god
Mr McEwen what ever happened to him? he was such a dude, used to say sh1t like "rolling on like a roller in the ocean", priroette (sp?) on the desk top and call all boys malcom and all girls shirely. Loved that guy.
Last I hear he was teching French to adults in Brighton - I don't know since then!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Shadow
2nd Former

Post by Shadow »

Great Plum wrote:
Sophie wrote:oh my god
Last I hear he was teching French to adults in Brighton - I don't know since then!
The last thing i heard was when he phoned my house to talk to my dad (Mr Overend) and talked to me for a while about the joys of living in spain. I think he's teaching English over there at the moment, a sad loss to CH.
Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Post by Laura M »

Jenny L-C wrote:
JCR - 'Nitty griitty' 'crunchy detail'
Lets not also forget 'clunking their glasses of mead'
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
FrogBoxed
Deputy Grecian

Post by FrogBoxed »

I can't believe no-one's mentioned "Alles klar".... this was chanted, in unison as "Tom" entered the room regardless of whether he was teaching you French or German.
Louise Barr Col B 89–96 | Frog Box Design