Fashions in Music at CH

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

Jo
Button Grecian

Re: Fashions in Music at CH

Post by Jo »

The stairs to the dining hall are still there, although of course they don't lead to the dining hall any more, but to the upstairs flats. You can still see where the TV room was, although I gather the room itself is no longer there. I think part of it is an electricity cupboard or something, so the manager told us last year.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

Yes it was! I don't remember using that tv room much but I do remember watching Grease 3 times in there one weekend! :lol:
How odd to find myself with the viewpoint of one of the fore-runners!! A decde before you Vonny, I only remember TotP being watched in Mrs Worley's study in 3's, accompanied by clouds of fag smoke; the TV room was used by the seniors and if someone was smiling kindly on you, then you could sneak up there and drool over M*A*S*H!!

Music was in eth cellar under theScience block - remember Olga (Brown) from 7s who wasa Hendrix freak and the record player in 2's was still the hessian jobbie that you remember Angela! One of 2's, NIf I think, had a Dad in the music bsuiness and she brought the Osmonds into our lovelorn pubescent world!! Crazy Horses I believe!!

Lordy I feel older now! :lol:
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Does anyone remember how many singles could be loaded onto the hessian sided record player? I remember that if too many were placed in position, there would be a hiccup and two or more singles would drop at a time; which would then confuse the needle dropping arm mechanism.

Paint It Black baby! :lol:
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
chaosriddenyears
Deputy Grecian

Post by chaosriddenyears »

fra828 wrote:Bridge Over Troubled Water -Summer 1970. It is still one of my favourites . Sailor by Petula Clarke was always being played in 8's dayroom when I first started at CH in 1967. We loved Those Were The Days by Mary Hopkin .In the early 70's other albums played were: After The Gold Rush by Neil Young, John Lennon's Imagine, Tapestry by Carole King ; also singles of the era such as those by Elton John, Marc Bolan and Rod Stewart plus many others! (We could bring records from home, no tapes or cds in those days!) Kept us in touch with the outside world, Great memories......
Also "My sweet Lord" by Cat Stevens (as he was then). This song is fixed in my mind as part of my first year in Hertford.

The TV room under the Dining Hall stairs was packed on Thursday evenings (Top of the Pops) before (and running into) prep - I remember the Osmonds and later Bohemian Rhapsody.
Some of us went there in a spare moment to watch the old (not cartoon) version of Batman and Robin. So funny...
chaosriddenyears
Deputy Grecian

I don't think the old record players took more than five or six singles at once - we were ever hopeful though!
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

chaosriddenyears wrote:
fra828 wrote:Bridge Over Troubled Water -Summer 1970. It is still one of my favourites . Sailor by Petula Clarke was always being played in 8's dayroom when I first started at CH in 1967. We loved Those Were The Days by Mary Hopkin .In the early 70's other albums played were: After The Gold Rush by Neil Young, John Lennon's Imagine, Tapestry by Carole King ; also singles of the era such as those by Elton John, Marc Bolan and Rod Stewart plus many others! (We could bring records from home, no tapes or cds in those days!) Kept us in touch with the outside world, Great memories......
Also "My sweet Lord" by Cat Stevens (as he was then). This song is fixed in my mind as part of my first year in Hertford.

The TV room under the Dining Hall stairs was packed on Thursday evenings (Top of the Pops) before (and running into) prep - I remember the Osmonds and later Bohemian Rhapsody.
Some of us went there in a spare moment to watch the old (not cartoon) version of Batman and Robin. So funny...
My Sweet Lord was George Harrison. :)
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

Lynn, don't you remember we had such an eclectic record collection in the Study? Elton John -we knew all the words.Faure's Requiem , the Bruch violin concerto and Dark Side of the Moon (which you either knicked from your brothers or was present from them?) and not much else. I certainly had no records of my own and I don't know where those came from.
Do you also remember those music apprecition lessons or general music or whatever they were called? The music staff were possibly compelled to provide this quaint little opportunity which was meant to improve our understanding and appreciation of classical music. I feel the hand of DR on this somewhere. Bless them, they decided to offer us the opportunity of providing the music .I will never forget their faces when Freya Pinsent and Elizabeth ? exposed us to The Who in all its decadent glory.I don't think that was exactly what they had in mind...I think we thought how funny and shocking we were at the time but I expect the staff feigned shock to allow us to enjoy the joke.I hope they weren't offended as they were sweet and meant well..
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

dinahcat wrote: Do you also remember those music apprecition lessons or general music or whatever they were called? The music staff were possibly compelled to provide this quaint little opportunity which was meant to improve our understanding and appreciation of classical music. I feel the hand of DR on this somewhere. Bless them, they decided to offer us the opportunity of providing the music .I will never forget their faces when Freya Pinsent and Elizabeth ? exposed us to The Who in all its decadent glory.I don't think that was exactly what they had in mind...I think we thought how funny and shocking we were at the time but I expect the staff feigned shock to allow us to enjoy the joke.I hope they weren't offended as they were sweet and meant well..
Elizabeth ...French?? This reminds me how one of our class said they liked 'Motown' music, and Miss Tavener misheard it as 'Mozart 'and looked suitably impressed until we all giggled and put her right! One time, there had been an upset in the class, can't remember what about, but someone shouted out : ' put on' My Sweet Lord' 'and it really had a calming effect! I agree that the music staff at that time were sweet and well meaning.
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

Someone in sixes had a copy of Tom Lehrer's songs, which I enjoyed being a very cynical teenager.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

I still have Tom Lehrer's songs on tape and regularly play them.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Class was called Aural Training, taken by Miss Cordery and Miss Taverner... intented to edumificate us musically.
I remember one splendid lesson when I talked Miss Cordery into playing some Bela Bartok - no one else enjoyed it, but I had a ball ! She then actually played some herself on the piano - very impressive!
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

We had Aural training with Miss Sinker in LIV, and the "MUsic Appreciation" in about LVI with Miss Robertson. You haven't lived until you heard her intoning The Erl King "MyFatherohmyFatherIcanheartheErlKingcoming........" Even now I can hear that miserable droning voice (and she was my piano teacher too)
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Oooh! I remember listening to the Erlkonig in German lessons with Mrs Agulnik, sung by Dietrich Fischer Diskau (?sp).
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

The memory of that woman droning almost spoils Dietrich's singing (played to Joe's music group whenever the opportunity arises)
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
chaosriddenyears
Deputy Grecian

dinahcat wrote:Lynn, don't you remember we had such an eclectic record collection in the Study? Elton John -we knew all the words.Faure's Requiem , the Bruch violin concerto and Dark Side of the Moon (which you either knicked from your brothers or was present from them?) and not much else. I certainly had no records of my own and I don't know where those came from.
Do you also remember those music apprecition lessons or general music or whatever they were called? The music staff were possibly compelled to provide this quaint little opportunity which was meant to improve our understanding and appreciation of classical music. I feel the hand of DR on this somewhere. Bless them, they decided to offer us the opportunity of providing the music .I will never forget their faces when Freya Pinsent and Elizabeth ? exposed us to The Who in all its decadent glory.I don't think that was exactly what they had in mind...I think we thought how funny and shocking we were at the time but I expect the staff feigned shock to allow us to enjoy the joke.I hope they weren't offended as they were sweet and meant well..
Yes I do remember the odd collection of records we had - I also had Brahm's 2nd piano concerto. There was also "Venus and Mars" and what was that group we all went mad over? Was it 10 CC or something? One of their hits was "I'm not in love and don't forget it".

The music staff were nice about those appreciation lessons.
Does anyone remember performing Noe's Fludde by Benjamin Britten in the church in Hertford?