Fashions in Music at CH

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Re: digitising vinyl

Post by cstegerlewis »

kayinbaja wrote:How DO you do that? Which piece of kit do I need to get to digitise my vinyl?
If you have a decent PC and a high spec hi-fi it is quite easy, just take an output from the amplifier on the hifi and feed it into the mic jack socket on the PC (or if you have a sound card the audio inputs)

Then record your tracks using a a utility programme, itunes and Creative software has them built in, or google 'rip tracks from vinyl' and pick up a freeware utility. Just leave the turntable (or cassette player) running at normal speed and go and mow the lawn/watch telly/ have a cup of tea and come back 40 mins later when it is finished.

Now the boring bit, you have to individually segment the tracks from the very large file you have just made, name them, convert to your preferred file type and size and then download to your ipod.

I have only done a couple of cassettes, and it took about 1.5 hours to do 45 minutes of music - I then found out the albums were about £3.99 on tesco.com, and decided life was too short. However that doesn't get more obscure or unique stuff that was only availble when I were a lad.
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Reuben wrote:Although I tend to play (and perform) mostly acoustic fiddly-dee folk music nowadays...
Yay! I love acoustic fiddly-dee folk music :)

We spent a very pleasant and lazy Saturday afternoon last week. Perfect winter weather, and the ground had dried out enough that we weren't leaving our wellies behind with each step.

Daughter's neighbours asked daughter to take some promotional shots for their group (Wintergreen). After the shoot they rehearsed for that evening's gig, outside on one neighbour's verandah. Perfect :) Sun shining, Diana Moo mooing her displeasure at not being invited over, chooks clucking, horses hanging over the fences. Folk music as folk music should be heard.
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
kayinbaja
3rd Former

Re: digitising vinyl

Post by kayinbaja »

Thanks Craig. Have plugged amp into macbook and am off to yoga having left alarm to wake up The Teenager and get him to turn over the vinyl - perfect multitasking! I've managed to replace most of my vinyl with CD, but some of the digitised versions are just horrible, especially Incredible String Band's Layers of the Onion (Caroline, I suspect you would approve of that one!)
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

cstegerlewis wrote:Now you have reminded me I remember you shouting it, but I can't remember who to - was it someone like Dom?
It was Rick Slater, the trade off was I got to say B*****d and he got to shout potato head in a welsh accent, a sly dig at Taffy Williams.

kayinbaja wrote:Thanks Craig. Have plugged amp into macbook.
Hope it goes well but if not I recommend a free program called Audacity for transferring vinyl to digital format on a mac. It's pretty good and has some tools to clean up scratches and noise
Barnes B / Mid A
thoughton
2nd Former

Post by thoughton »

Don't know how i found this forum but anyway...
Very entertaining reading through all the musical infuences that went on at CH. Still listening to lots of them now and yes its great when a true classic pops up during a random playlist on the mp3 player. I remember Jonny Boston getting me into The Smiths, he's playing at the 10 club this saturday btw.
What we listened to was reflected by the songs we tried to play in the various school bands we were in (Adam, Craig..House at pooh corner!!??)
Any memories of these..End of term gig?... Missing singers?
Toby Houghton
Ba A, Thorn B, Thorn A '82-'89
thoughton
2nd Former

Post by thoughton »

JB's playing the 100 club, not the 10 club btw. oopps!
Toby Houghton
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

HOFF HOFF HOFF

How the devil are you? What you doin, where are you etc etc etc???

How could I forget House at Pooh Corner, what an awful name what was i thinking? Heady mix of The cure, the smiths, spear of destiny and REM. Elsewhere on here Craig and I reminisced about singing Liberator....

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII LIBERATE I I I LIBERATE I LIBERATE
Barnes B / Mid A
thoughton
2nd Former

Post by thoughton »

Well, i do still have a C90 (do you remember them?) with some sort of live recording. Micky aint smart but micky aint dumb... So good to hear from you. Lost touch with most although not jonny. still playing a bit of guitar. teaching science of all things. still hanker after being a rock star but to no avail. what u doing???
Toby Houghton
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

HAHA I have a couple of tapes too, need to get them form my parents house and see how fantastic we were!

Good to hear from you to. I've lost touch with most people as well though I still regularly see Ian and pass messages to Craig infrequently, so that's most of the band and if you're in touch weith Jonny I feel a reunion gig coming...mmm....perhpas not!!

As for work I run an organisation in Newcastle whose aim is to build partnerships between business and the cultural sector (well arts and heritage) and help both sides see that they can each benefit from it. Quite interesting and still not a proper job like my dad wanted me to get...

Still have hankerings to play music but these days it tends to be me noodling an a Apple mac creating noise...
Barnes B / Mid A
Ash
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Ash »

Good topic!!

I was into all the usual suspects, The Cramps, The Meteors, etc, etc... (I saw the Cramps just last year with Mr Ewen Rubython ... Still amazing)

Also Mighty Lemon Drops, Cocteau Twins, Joy Division, the usual Goth suspects (particularly the Neph) - The Smiths, etc.. Gene Loves Gezebel, Balham & The Angel, The 3 Johns ... . The list is endless - Probably why like Interpol now...

I seem to remember The Violent Femmes being especially popular, as well as the Rezillos/Revillos round our way..

The Marychain were a particular constant for me as well as U2/The Bunnymen/The Alarm and later Spacemen 3 and Loop, who I still rate.

I remember seeing Reuben at a Ride gig (At the Zap in Brighton) many moons ago ;)

I still play in a band to this day (all very Sunday League indie, mind you) - CH gave me a great musical education, if not musical talent - per se :)

http://www.fallingoutofcars.com if you are bothered...
Last edited by Ash on Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MAINE A/B 1981 - 1986

BRING BACK BAKER
Ash
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Ash »

adlop wrote:How could I forget House at Pooh Corner,
Hahahaha ;) ...

Lets not forget Duda'z band with Gupp... This Leather Wedding (hahaha - what a name) ... NONE more goth.
MAINE A/B 1981 - 1986

BRING BACK BAKER
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

Ash wrote:I remember seeing Reuben at a Ride gig (At the Zap in Brighton) many moons ago ;)
I was at one of their gigs at the Zap club along with Kim Willcocks and Jonny Boston. Boo Radleys were supporting. Great gig
Ash wrote:Lets not forget Duda'z band with Gupp... This Leather Wedding
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh I feel soooo much better now.
Barnes B / Mid A
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Ash wrote:I still play in a band to this day (all very Sunday League indie, mind you) - CH gave me a great musical education, if not musical talent - per se :)

http://www.fallingoutofcars.com if you are bothered...
I bothered. I liked 'We Wish You Well'.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

checked the band out Ash, liked the tracks on the site though the new single was actually my least favourite.
Barnes B / Mid A
Ash
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Ash »

adlop wrote:
Ash wrote:I remember seeing Reuben at a Ride gig (At the Zap in Brighton) many moons ago ;)
I was at one of their gigs at the Zap club along with Kim Willcocks and Jonny Boston. Boo Radleys were supporting. Great gig
Ash wrote:Lets not forget Duda'z band with Gupp... This Leather Wedding
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh I feel soooo much better now.
The Boo Radleys in those days were far better than Ride IMHO..... But then both bands went and ruined it... "Wake Up Boo!" indeed.. And that last Ride album. Terrible.

And, No CH band could have been as Po-faced, serious and quite as embarrassing as This Leather Wedding... ;)

What's worse is that it seemed so "cool" at the time. It wasn't. But then neither was dressing in cowboy clothes and covering yourself in flour.. If only the kidz these days had Fields of The Nephilim.... If you are in any doubt about the ridiculousness of Goth, check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbXqXScm0j4

I'll get me spurs...

PS. Thanks for the comments on our music... Some people play golf on a Sunday, we do music ;)

It's actually probably some strange mid-life crisis come early to be honest ...
Last edited by Ash on Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
MAINE A/B 1981 - 1986

BRING BACK BAKER