Fashions in Music at CH

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Yes, rap was part of it... but a lot of it was that tiresome Mcing stuff where you just shout over beats...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Great Plum wrote: that tiresome Mcing stuff where you just shout over beats...
McShouting? McRapping? It's the influence of that poisonous American fast 'food' chain. Anyway you're starting to sound like my mother now, GP. You've got to get down wiv the yoof crew, innit. 8)
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

I think he means MCing (or emseeing if you like) which in the old days used to refer the Master of Ceremonies making announcements...

I'll get my coat...
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Not Ronald McDonald, then ?? :cry:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

Great Plum wrote:a lot of it was that tiresome Mcing stuff where you just shout over beats...
which is what the original rapping was. Music, like history just goes in circles. It's like goths today, it makes me smile to see them and remember some of the dodgy clothes and haircuts people had in our time.
Barnes B / Mid A
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

Not the only electronica fan as well as all the goth stuff I was into depeche mode. Me and tim ended up doing the music for a senior chapel when we used to have to do little plays and managed to play black celebration & blaphemous rumours along with the Smiths unhappy b'day, aptly enough given the other thread it was a story of a pupil talking to his parents on his b'day and saying he was fine and his housemaster telling his parents he was fine but in fact he was considering suicide as he was being bullied.

Other bans we were into were REM as Orange Crush had just been released, Iron Maiden (7th son of a 7th son), New Order and if anyone remembers them The Bolshoi, I still remenber playing Happy Boy really loudly out of the window of Tim's study in LHA quiet room after A-levels while all the youger people were going to lessons in the prep block -

Oh, such a happy boy today
Blew my family clear away
(I'm) going to university
What do you think now?
Such a happy boy today
Listen to the people say,
"Joy of joys, oh happy day"

Also there was a shortlived revival of Lynard Skynard & Jethro Tull in LHA courtesy of Ed Battison
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

wurzel wrote: anyone remembers them The Bolshoi
Not only do I remember The Bolshoi I bought the re-issued Friends album just a couple of weeks ago and was listneing to it in the car yesterday!

I remember those days when each house had to put on a piece in chapel. We played Depeche Mode People are People after doing a piece about people not being allowed to be themselves and using the story of a gay couple who wanted to get married not being accepted by society. There was a section where two of us just traded insults across the pews as part of it. I got to shout out B***RD in chapel in front of a full audience which made me immensley happy.
Barnes B / Mid A
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

cj wrote:
Great Plum wrote: that tiresome Mcing stuff where you just shout over beats...
McShouting? McRapping? It's the influence of that poisonous American fast 'food' chain. Anyway you're starting to sound like my mother now, GP. You've got to get down wiv the yoof crew, innit. 8)
No, I have never had to get down wid any bredrin or yoof... tsk... ;)

And yes, I mean MCing!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

adlop wrote:I got to shout out B***RD in chapel in front of a full audience which made me immensley happy.
Now you have reminded me I remember you shouting it, but I can't remember who to - was it someone like Dom?
Craig Steger-Lewis
1982-1989
kayinbaja
3rd Former

Bob Dylan. White rapper extraordinaire

Post by kayinbaja »

In 5s in the 60s we were more of the pessimistic, poetic, intellectual persuasion (i.e. we were crap at sports); Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Blood Sweat and Tears, Velvet Underground etc. and the sound track of the musical Hair, which was not popular with housemistress because the stage show (allegedly) featured nudity, but since the album cover didn't, there wasn't much she could do. Sergeant Pepper gave the Beatles some credibility. We watched the Monkees on TV but can't imagine why - it certainly wasn't for the music, because it was the only programme we were allowed to watch? Because we all fancied at least 1 of them?
Several of my vinyl albums still have "Kay. 5.20" written on them.
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

wurzel wrote:Other bands we were into were REM as Orange Crush had just been released
When Adlop and I went to the Beeb with Terry Clark, REM were about to make their TOTP performance of Orange Crush, but we couldn't get in :evil:

All this talk is making me think I really should get down my complete collection of Mission, Sisters and Depech Mode 12" singles and digitise them......
Craig Steger-Lewis
1982-1989
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Re: Bob Dylan. White rapper extraordinaire

Post by cstegerlewis »

kayinbaja wrote:Several of my vinyl albums still have "Kay. 5.20" written on them.
I think all my vinyl has name and number on it, I really stopped buying it at Uni - I have probably got some with a few other names on as well

Wurzel, how about this for an appropriate Iron Maiden emot :supz:
Craig Steger-Lewis
1982-1989
Reuben
3rd Former

Post by Reuben »

Bolshoi fans may like to know that Trevor Tanner is alive and well in the U.S.A. and has written some great solo material. "Bullish, Bellyache, and Belch" is an awesome 3CD set - I'm listening to it right now. PM me if you'd like to hear some.
Barnes/Thornton 1982-1988
kayinbaja
3rd Former

digitising vinyl

Post by kayinbaja »

How DO you do that? Which piece of kit do I need to get to digitise my vinyl?
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

When I got to uni and ended up doing PA work we used a company called Juice, they shared a warehouse (and some staff) with Tourtec in Northampton. Tourtec did The sisters, Mission, All about Eve, Bauhaus etc and the guy who taught me monitor engineering was a guy called Chris Wood who was 3rd man for the sisters. I had a access all areas pass for the last big NEC gig that the sisters did in the UK (where I nearly knocked the drum machine racks off the stage - poor dr avalanche)