Fashions in Music at CH

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

Straz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Fashions in Music at CH

Post by Straz »

Strippergrams?

Yes, I vaguely remember that sort of thing happening at MM... I'm not sure about one actually visiting me at my desk at the Maker Mansions, although it may have happened. It's all a bit of a haze now...

What I do recall more clearly was Tenpole Tudor marching in to the office and lobbing a straw bale at my head. I think I might have been reviewing singles that week, and Eddie had got a "hot 45" that he hoped I might mention in the column. I believe that there was some sort of agricultural theme to the waxing, hence the straw bale. Crazy times... not 'alf!
Paul Strange
Leigh Hunt A 1969-71
Peele A 71-75
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

Hi Paul,

Definitely remember reading your name somewhere in the Music Press, had no idea you were an old blue! Welcome to the forum.
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

Straz wrote:Strippergrams?

Yes, I vaguely remember that sort of thing happening at MM... I'm not sure about one actually visiting me at my desk at the Maker Mansions, although it may have happened. It's all a bit of a haze now...
ah, the beauty of the t'internet means these things never die. I recently and co-incidentally stumbled on an article by Caroline Sullivan about We've Got a Fuzzbox and We're Gonna Use it when I was looking for details of them re-forming which is how I made the link. The article is in all it's glory here http://fuzzbox000.angelfire.com/fb-data/mm71286.htm

Must say I miss the Melody Maker and the NME, well I've turned into one of thos people who used to write letters complaining about how it wasn't like it was in the old days!
Barnes B / Mid A
Straz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Straz »

Well if Caroline Sullivan says it happened, I guess it must be true... There again, there is such a thing as poetic licence. I'll ask Sullivan next time I see her. We're still in touch.
Paul Strange
Leigh Hunt A 1969-71
Peele A 71-75
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

To be fair to her, she may not remember either as the article was from 1986.

Fuzzbox reforming though, not something I'd have thought was top of many people's lists.
Barnes B / Mid A