Corporal Punishment......

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I believe Kirby passed away when he was about 97 I believe...

He has the most annoying yappy-type dog...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

All his dogs had very strange names, if memory serves.......
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

In the years I was at CH he had a corgi.
Having one at home myself, I was confident in trying to stroke the thing....
Putting my hand down to it's back, with my housey coat on, it quickly sunk it's teeth into my arm - glad I had the coat on!

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Scone Lover
Grecian

Post by Scone Lover »

Yea Gods, Mr Kirby, that's a name I haven't heard in years. We were all sure that he was never born but was hatched as a specially bred CH Master. And those dogs of his, wow, they were trained attack dogs, I am sure of it.
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

See my post called something like "Anyone remember an old codger dressed in army fatigues?" for a fascinating insight into Rip Kirby
Scone Lover
Grecian

Post by Scone Lover »

I have just read it Robin. It brought memories of hurtling across the long mile trying to get away from the dog as we were spotted smoking. I even remember Mr Sillett occasionally lying in wait on his trusty bike. I once vaulted the science quad pond trying (and succeeding) to escape a Kirby Sillett trap. I only ever got caught once and that was Mr Sillett, grrrr.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Incidentally Kirby's instrument for corporal punishment was a flat piece of wood called "Tickle Toby".
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Re: Corporal Punishment......

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

At 80, and having just done a 13,000ft Skydive, I hope I am approaching middle age !
In my day, Beating was administered by Monitors as well as Masters, Some Monitors used wierd things like stems of creeper, from outside the dormitory window, L M Carey - Housemaster Barnes B used a slipper on Juniors and a cane on the rest of us. I cannot remember all the things I got Detention for (For Which I Got ?) perhaps Grammer, but I remember every sin for which I was Beaten (Better!)
As a Chairman of a State School, I sometimes thought it would be a good thing if -------!!
I shall not name the School, --- but !
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Notorious Neill, it occurs to me you must have overlapped with Bryan Magee. Have you read his memoir of life at CH in the 40s, with its (in places rather shocking) account of corporal punishment?
Th.B. 27 1955-63
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

..... 'tho evem Magee's account pales beside the whole chapter Longmate devotes to Macnutt's use of the cane - opening all doors to get his run-up at full length before yelling "I'm coming!, I'm coming!" (!) and administering his rod to the bare-buttocked boy.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

These stories are a serious indictment of Flecker, who must have heard them, just as he must have heard about some of the paedophiles on his staff. Seaman, when he arrived, wielded a new broom fairly decisively in this area.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

When was Flecker Headmaster, Michael?

Paedophiles amongst the staff? How come he did nothing?
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Angela Woodford wrote:When was Flecker Headmaster, Michael?

Paedophiles amongst the staff? How come he did nothing?
BE VERY CAREFUL, if anyone is considering 'naming names ' !
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Flecker "the Oil" (nicknamed thus following an address wherein he described Housey as machine and himself as the oil) was headmaster from 1935 until he left (with me) in 1955.

Paedophiles on the staff? Undoubtedly - but then the term was not then understood or used in its modern sense - classicists would interpret the word in those days in a far less perjorative light.

One must remember also that the vast majority of the staff were bachelors in an all male enironment, who devoted their life to "the boys". I remember one very eminent educational psychologist (and himself an Old Blue) once remarking, in a very relaxed moment I have to say, that the devotion of the staff toward their charges may have been the mainspring behind some very inspirational teaching. One must remember that the revered MacNutt himself produced some outstanding Oxbridge scholars.

Having read the above, I realise that my psychologist friend (now alas no longer with us) would scarcely have brought himself to make such a remark, even in private, in today's social environment. I am not sure I should even have recorded it here. However, it does make some sense of the widely diverging views among those of us who shared those immediate post war years ar Horsham. For some it was undoubtedly horrific, while for others, like myself, who encountered little of the horror, it was throughout an enchanting and enriching experience. I have commented elsewhere on the forum on a gifted teacher about whom many rumours abounded and abound, but who for me remains a beacon of musical endeavour and excellence. In my case, his behaviour was always friendly but untarnished - and he bought me my first ever pint at the Swan in Pulborough.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

DavebytheSea wrote:Flecker "the Oil" (nicknamed thus following an address wherein he described Housey as machine and himself as the oil) was headmaster from 1935 until he left (with me) in 1955.

Paedophiles on the staff? Undoubtedly - but then the term was not then understood or used in its modern sense - classicists would interpret the word in those days in a far less perjorative light.

One must remember also that the vast majority of the staff were bachelors in an all male enironment, who devoted their life to "the boys". I remember one very eminent educational psychologist (and himself an Old Blue) once remarking, in a very relaxed moment I have to say, that the devotion of the staff toward their charges may have been the mainspring behind some very inspirational teaching. One must remember that the revered MacNutt himself produced some outstanding Oxbridge scholars.

Having read the above, I realise that my psychologist friend (now alas no longer with us) would scarcely have brought himself to make such a remark, even in private, in today's social environment. I am not sure I should even have recorded it here. However, it does make some sense of the widely diverging views among those of us who shared those immediate post war years ar Horsham. For some it was undoubtedly horrific, while for others, like myself, who encountered little of the horror, it was throughout an enchanting and enriching experience. I have commented elsewhere on the forum on a gifted teacher about whom many rumours abounded and abound, but who for me remains a beacon of musical endeavour and excellence. In my case, his behaviour was always friendly but untarnished - and he bought me my first ever pint at the Swan in Pulborough.
Now sadly, a housing complex !

Used to be a nice pub with a nice view down the river.