Olfactory Memories of CH

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

DC
2nd Former

Olfactory Memories of CH

Post by DC »

The other morning I was walking down a road through a wooded area after the rain and the smell suddenly transported me back to The Avenue twenty-odd years ago as a kid walking to lessons. For a moment I almost felt I was wearing the uniform and carrying my books. It made me feel quite emotional as it was a very powerful flashback.

Upon reflection, there are many strong olfactory memories I have of CH from every part of the school. Many that I haven't experienced since but can remember clearly.

Just thought I would share the moment with the forum to hear what people remember and maybe awaken a few memories I thought I had forgotten!
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Yes, the smell in Dining Hall after the floor had been polished is a fairly strong memory.

The smell of the tube, of course,was very distinctive.

Then, for those who were at C.H. during the mid '70s, the smell of a senior house when everyone was furiously burning joss sticks.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

The smell of damp housey coats was always one that sticks in my memory.

And the smell of the wardrobe as well which smelt of a mixture of housey coat and mothballs!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

Post by UserRequestedRemoval »

The smell of the changing rooms after a rugby match was pretty potent but then so was RF!

Liver served up in dining hall was pretty powerful.

The smell of fresh bands and shirt!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Duraglit, which we used to polish the brass, and it made your fingers all green/black too.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

Our teachers were pretty smart, they didn't let us anywhere near cleaning substances, we would only have tried to work out which combinations exploded
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

englishangel wrote:Duraglit, which we used to polish the brass, and it made your fingers all green/black too.
We didn't use Duraglit but Brasso, I think, it definitely came in a red and white tin. The brasses were always calld Bluebells in 6s, after the previous brand of polish. Whatever it was. it did smell!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

There was always a musty/yeasty smell pervading the atmosphere around the dining hall at Hertford that instantly takes me back there. And the smell of Body Shop Dewberry reminds me of the archaeology trip to Egypt on my Deps in 1989.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Katharine wrote:
englishangel wrote:Duraglit, which we used to polish the brass, and it made your fingers all green/black too.
We didn't use Duraglit but Brasso, I think, it definitely came in a red and white tin. The brasses were always calld Bluebells in 6s, after the previous brand of polish. Whatever it was. it did smell!

That smell (Brasso) reminds me of church, because, before I was old enough to attend school, I used to help my Nan polish the brasses at St Saviour's church, Battersea. There was a large brass lectern fashioned like an eagle.

Does anyone remember the smell of the History room at Hertford?
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

I am almost afraid to ask what it did smell like Caroline. You have got my interest peaked though.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:
Katharine wrote:

That smell (Brasso) reminds me of church, because, before I was old enough to attend school, I used to help my Nan polish the brasses at St Saviour's church, Battersea. There was a large brass lectern fashioned like an eagle.

Does anyone remember the smell of the History room at Hertford?
Didn't Miss Mercer smoke Gauloises or Gitanes or something.

Perhaps we had different stuff, I remember Brasso, and have used it, but we had Duraglit, the wadding type stuff from the orange tin.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

soc wrote:I am almost afraid to ask what it did smell like Caroline. You have got my interest peaked though.

Hi soc

Re Mary's reply: Miss Mercer was our History Teacher.

As to what the History Room smelt like: it was a smell like no other I can remember smelling, and I have no idea where it came from.

Maybe furniture polish from the wooden desks, mixed with eau de Gitane or Gauloise?
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

I have felt the same on occassion re. the damp earth/soil/trees smell - that early morning smell at around 6am when it's just stopped raining - often brings back memories of walking up the Avenue to breakfast...

Freshly-polished dormitories at the beginning of term.

The counting house at Horsham has a very distictive smell, which hasn't changed in 15 years

Junior-boys' dormitories - horrible - unwashed boys with no deodorant!

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Katharine wrote:
BLUEBELL. Thank you Katharine, I was trying to remember what we had used at Hertford, while I was considering polishing the brass ornaments my daughter keeps giving me.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

soc wrote:The smell of the changing rooms after a rugby match was pretty potent but then so was RF!

Liver served up in dining hall was pretty powerful.

The smell of badly cooked tripe wafting from Peele Bridge to the sicker was indescribable. Remembering it makes me feel sick even now

The foul stench of well matured sweaty humanity in the tube was a distand second.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!