Dormitory Antics

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Re: Helen :lol:

Post by Laura M »

TheDirector wrote:Do I correctly remember Helen Lyman being convinced (when quite drunk) by Laura Manual to 'confess her undying love to Mr. Mason'? God, the things that I've heard people do to her when she was in west.....
Sadly no that wasn't me I wasn't even there, I was happily next door in the safety of Barnes A, and that is not how you spell my surname!!!!! I'm not a car!!!!
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Re: Helen :lol:

Post by Hendrik »

Laura M wrote:and that is not how you spell my surname!!!!! I'm not a car!!!!
though you did get around a bit......

jokes. :D
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

But back to dormitory antics... back in the days of open dorms with 30 beds...
  • *obviously there was the whole removing bed boards whilst someone was in the bed (I don't think I slept for any of my squits as I was waiting for Eleanor to do it *again* to me)
    *creating a small shrine to an imaginary new god in the wardrobe belonging to the daughter of a vicar to wind up the Chaplain who was on dorm duty that night (that was very funny and she was completely taken in - one of the Grecian's had to put her out of her misery)
    *racing up and down the dorm in a chariot stylie on the laundry bags (Ow to the splinters you could get in your bottom though!)
    *"hurdles" where you ran down the dorm on the beds, vaulting over the wardrobes
    *trying to make your way all around the Lav Ends without touching the floor.
    * putting the obligatory cup of water over the Dorm door in preparation for Mr Higgins' entry
    *swinging from the bars in the ceiling in the Upper Dorms
Etc
FrogBoxed
Deputy Grecian

Post by FrogBoxed »

One of our favourites was to be really noisy, thus causing hapless new junior member of staff to come in *again* and tell us to be quiet, only to find the dorm "deserted" and run off to find us.

Then we'd come out from behind the curtains/out of the wardrobes/etc and get back into bed for the inevitable return of the flustered teacher. Cruel, but enormous fun. :twisted:
Louise Barr Col B 89–96 | Frog Box Design
FrogBoxed
Deputy Grecian

Post by FrogBoxed »

Actually, thinking about it a little further, the most fun thing was to carry out a "dorm raid" on the adjoining house's dorm.

This was standard last night of the Michaelmas term fun, and was a great laugh if you didn't get caught. Apart from the usual skiffing, board-setting and lamposting, the most effective thing we ever found to cause someone an uncomfortable night's sleep was Grape Nuts liberally sprinkled on the sheet.

It doesn't matter how much you brush out there's always more. I swear, that stuff breeds! Even now... I can't eat it because I find myself wondering whose bed it's been in!
Louise Barr Col B 89–96 | Frog Box Design
PeA7
2nd Former

Post by PeA7 »

I remember one night when Mr Torkington (anyone remember how to spell that noise he made???) came into the upper dorm to tell us all to shut up. The UF end of the dorm then proceeded to chase him out of the doorway and down the stairs with pillows whilst making some sort of warcry at him at the same time. I don't think he ever came back to the dorm after that.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Dorm antics

Post by englishangel »

I think we must have been very boring/lacking in imagination/knackered.

The only thing I remember is, on my very first night at Hertford being told some filthy jokes the like of which I have not heard since.

You know who you are!!!
little_r
3rd Former

Re: Dormitory Antics

Post by little_r »

Dorm raides and lamp posting! Bum sliding in the lav-ends by blocking up the drain by the baths and flooding the floor by over filling the baths! Apple pie-ing the sheets of an unsuspecting squit and holding his hand in a glass of cold water when he was asleep hoping he'd wet the bed.. :snakeman: :snakeman: :snakeman:
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

little_r wrote:Dorm raides and lamp posting! Bum sliding in the lav-ends by blocking up the drain by the baths and flooding the floor by over filling the baths! Apple pie-ing the sheets of an unsuspecting squit and holding his hand in a glass of cold water when he was asleep hoping he'd wet the bed.
HAHA Richard, do you remember the meditation and anti-meditation gangs?

Also...
stuffing people into the dirty pants/socks laundry bag
blanket chariot racing - resulting in splinters in the bum
stinking wet socks drying on those weird round radiators
settle banging
the round robin chorus of 'b*gger off'
Barnes B / Mid A
little_r
3rd Former

Post by little_r »

"b****r off" hahaa that was hilarious! I certainly remember settle banging and chariot racing... Talking of radiators i remember the ice forming on the inside of the windows during the winter!