When Peele B used to win stuff

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Great Plum wrote: This year's cricket team are doing very well - they beat Eastbourne for the first time in 29 years last weekend!
Major result - congratulations to the team.
I think that made it into "The Times" or similar broadsheet - saw a snippet of it..

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Agreed that it is good news the cricket team is doing well. A nice tribute to the memory of Ken Suttle if nothing else.

I remember reading a year or two ago that a Housey boy (? Kruger or similar name) won a Wisden cricket award.

Cricket seems to be looking up at CH. Congratulations to the Master in charge one H P Holdsworth according to Wisden.

Howard was a contemporary of mine (we were in the same Junior House) and was I believe the youngest boy (at that time) to represent the 1st X1.

He was a third former when he made his debut if I remember correctly.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Mid A 15 wrote:Agreed that it is good news the cricket team is doing well. A nice tribute to the memory of Ken Suttle if nothing else.

I remember reading a year or two ago that a Housey boy (? Kruger or similar name) won a Wisden cricket award.

Cricket seems to be looking up at CH. Congratulations to the Master in charge one H P Holdsworth according to Wisden.

Howard was a contemporary of mine (we were in the same Junior House) and was I believe the youngest boy (at that time) to represent the 1st X1.

He was a third former when he made his debut if I remember correctly.
Andreas Kruger was the young cricketer of the year at Wisden...

H P Holdsworth is my dad! :) he was the youngest boy ever to represent CH at cricket in his LE (I just checked with him!)

It is good to see this team doing so well, especially in memory of Kenny...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

marty wrote:Fraser - do you remember putting an injured blackbird in a bag and killing it with my hockey stick? That incident scarred me for life...
Frasercorsan wrote:I have a vague recollection of that, doing my bit for humane treatment of injured animals! You'll be pleased to know I have not killed anything recently, I know just work on weapon systems ensuring they are safe for our guys to operate.
I'm glad...
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Remember me to your dad Great Plum. The name is Andy Miller. I was in Maine A between 65 and 68 (your dad came in 66 to Maine A) and Mid A from 68 to 72.

I saw your dad briefly at the Old Blues versus Old England cricket match at CH.
Last edited by Mid A 15 on Thu May 26, 2005 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Great Plum. Please ask your dad if he remembers shouting at three young boys one cold September afternoon about fifteen years ago to "GET OFF THAT CRICKET PITCH!!!" That's the last time I played hockey at the crease....
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
Frasercorsan
2nd Former

Post by Frasercorsan »

Last edited by Frasercorsan on Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

That seems unfair to me. Somebody might get hurt!
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
dondun
2nd Former

Re: When Peele B used to win stuff

Post by dondun »

We bowled Eastbourne out for 42 in 1958 or 1959. Mind you we had John Snow in the team then.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

John Snow was massively and understandably feared in house games. Luckily I was three years younger so never had to face him in house matches. He had a sodding great run-up, even then, and I remember our Col B batsmen stuffing their 'boxes' down their trousers and then going out to face him with some trepidation. I don't think any of our opening batsmen scored more than a few runs off him before their stumps went skittling, and I do seem to remember that a batsman from another house suffered a broken hand from one of "Snowie's" rising deliveries. I believe he was already playing for the Sussex Martlets (the county nursery team) before he'd left school. Everyone's abiding memory of him in his Test career is the time he barged that Indian batsman out of the way - probably fed up with being hit all over the ground - although there was also a tense altercation with the Australian fans on "the hill" at Sydney.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Quite a character, AND his father was a vicar !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Thinking back on it, Mid A used to win everything when I was there in the 1950s. To the extent that they were always known as School House. Was this because they were blessed with a bunch of naturally talented athletes or because the formidable Arthur Rider put the fear of God up them?