being woken up in the morning

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Rory wrote:On slang - yer mum - I never used that at school - but its rife in the City.
How bizarre was that! Yer mum on toast, yer mum on a motorbike etc. I thought it was just a housieism. What does it mean in "the City" It popped out involuntarily from my mouth one dinner time as my elder daughter was regaling us with tales of 10 year old relationship traumas. I laughed. They didn't. Surprising what sticks in the brain. And bockers is the other one we still seem to use.

Is there a slang thread elsewhere?
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

cj wrote:Is there a slang thread elsewhere?
Try this : viewtopic.php?t=66
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

How did you do that? I'm not very good with computers. Thanks anyway.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Went to the thread, copied the address from the address bar, and pasted it into my reply.

Believe me, if I can do it anybody can.

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Your Mum - how I remember that.. ;)
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Richard Ruck wrote:Went to the thread, copied the address from the address bar, and pasted it into my reply.

I think you have to be sober !!!!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

J.R. wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:Went to the thread, copied the address from the address bar, and pasted it into my reply.

It helps! :lol:

Talking of which, how is The Bull these days?

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Richard Ruck wrote:
J.R. wrote:

It helps! :lol:

Talking of which, how is The Bull these days?
Jan and I were in there yesterday afternoon.

'Blondie' still in residence and the beer still GOOD !!

Didn't find out its future though.
Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Post by Laura M »

As when I was at CH I was one of the few early risers a feat which I carried on all through my CH career (but naturally have been unable to maintain whilst at uni), my memories of rising are rather restricted to my own alarm clock. However I will always remember the classic stylings of the house staff in Grecians West and how they managed to wake the masses up every morning (being awake and dressed every time meant this was a source of great amusment to me). Miss Larrive a french teachers techniques were based on the clomp up the stairs and on every landing bellow 'It iz ze morning, it iz a lovely day, time to get up' then if you feel there is little activity pick a few select rooms and turn on their overhead lights so the Grecian would have to get out of bed to turn it off. Mrs Fleming had a more personal approach but like Miss Larrive it also involved clomping up the stair and throwing every door open meaning you could hear her coming two floors down. She would then proceed to knock on the door but before a response could be given she'd be in telling you to wake up, (or in my case present a look of total disappointment as yet again she had failed to catch me snoozing).
We girls always had a rather easy time I felt as when male housestaff were on duty we were left alone whereas with the lads whoever it was on duty would go and wake them (or so was my belife).
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Laura M wrote:As when I was at CH I was one of the few early risers a feat which I carried on all through my CH career (but naturally have been unable to maintain whilst at uni), my memories of rising are rather restricted to my own alarm clock. However I will always remember the classic stylings of the house staff in Grecians West and how they managed to wake the masses up every morning (being awake and dressed every time meant this was a source of great amusment to me). Miss Larrive a french teachers techniques were based on the clomp up the stairs and on every landing bellow 'It iz ze morning, it iz a lovely day, time to get up' then if you feel there is little activity pick a few select rooms and turn on their overhead lights so the Grecian would have to get out of bed to turn it off. Mrs Fleming had a more personal approach but like Miss Larrive it also involved clomping up the stair and throwing every door open meaning you could hear her coming two floors down. She would then proceed to knock on the door but before a response could be given she'd be in telling you to wake up, (or in my case present a look of total disappointment as yet again she had failed to catch me snoozing).
We girls always had a rather easy time I felt as when male housestaff were on duty we were left alone whereas with the lads whoever it was on duty would go and wake them (or so was my belife).
Hmmmm. Woken up be a french mistress, better than a bell.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Laura M wrote:As when I was at CH I was one of the few early risers a feat which I carried on all through my CH career (but naturally have been unable to maintain whilst at uni), my memories of rising are rather restricted to my own alarm clock. However I will always remember the classic stylings of the house staff in Grecians West and how they managed to wake the masses up every morning (being awake and dressed every time meant this was a source of great amusment to me). Miss Larrive a french teachers techniques were based on the clomp up the stairs and on every landing bellow 'It iz ze morning, it iz a lovely day, time to get up' then if you feel there is little activity pick a few select rooms and turn on their overhead lights so the Grecian would have to get out of bed to turn it off. Mrs Fleming had a more personal approach but like Miss Larrive it also involved clomping up the stair and throwing every door open meaning you could hear her coming two floors down. She would then proceed to knock on the door but before a response could be given she'd be in telling you to wake up, (or in my case present a look of total disappointment as yet again she had failed to catch me snoozing).

Speaking from "the other side of the door" , as it were, experience tells us that is always the lads who NEED to be woken in a morning!!

(pleased you didn`t mention me there!!)
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Post by Laura M »

Thats ok Mrs C as I said being an early riser I have few memories of being woken up, I do remember you coming to do room inspections though, never a problem there I felt, you'll be pleased to know unlike early rising I have managed to keep up that habit.
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I was always an early riser at school - for my last year when I slept in Maine A, I was never woken up by any member of staff...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Great Plum wrote: I was always an early riser at school - for my last year when I slept in Maine A, I was never woken up by any member of staff...
Errrrmmmmmmmmmmm ????
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

The Morning H*rn