being woken up in the morning

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

eloisec
Deputy Grecian

Post by eloisec »

he used to wear terrible bow ties ...
Eloise Carpenter
Col.A 87-94
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Ian Torkington - "Come on, make a move" - which was replied to by the whole dormitory moving one leg in sync.....most amusing at the time!

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Lamma looker
3rd Former

Post by Lamma looker »

All this personal service in the mornings, how things have changed. In my day (apologies for sounding like an old w*nker) one man woke the whole school; Sgt Usher ringing the Big School bell at 5 to 7.
A healthy mind is a sign of a mis-spent youth
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Sgt Usher

Post by DavebytheSea »

My God! I thought that it was the ringing of Bid School Bell that still woke everyone up! I have been trying to train Jonathan to respond to the distant ringing of a bell as a wake up call in preparation for next September but without too much success! I needn't have bothered if I knew he was to be gently aroused by pretty matrons and such like! It all sounds rather soft to me!

Sgt Usher - "Tush" - ruled our lives. He it was who woke the whole school; he who came round the classes with the attendance registers and notices (his "'ave you got Dyer 'ere" was a classic and on one occasion so enraged Sam Sargent - a frenchman with little understanding of the cockney veranacular - that he ordered Usher out); he who ran the lunch time punishment drills where he forced us to parade "at the double" around the asphalt in full housey; and he who called the whole school to attention at dinner parade (a function now performed by the band). Sgt Usher in his dark blue uniform may have been short of stature, but he was much feared.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Re: post b day wake up

Post by Laura M »

Fenix4500 wrote:I had similar situations Jenny, b day, got really REALLY drunk and ended up getting bundled and all my stuff emptyed all over me (it was half term as i recall)
Actually Matt it was the last day of Lent term, and I had warned you this was going to happen the night before!!!
Jenny I'm sorry about that, but no doubt now you are enjoying being able to sleep in as much as you like!!! (It was rather embarrassing when our period 1 history classes consisted of me and Jean!!)
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
Nyort
3rd Former

Post by Nyort »

Mr Chandler - 7.15, time to get up!

Everyone in unison - Sir, its actually 7.10.

I remember one morning, Mr Chandler was very dippy, and came and woke us all up at 6.15, thinking it was 7.15!

After that, we lost all respect we had for him.
Jobaker
2nd Former

Post by Jobaker »

I was never a good sleeper and I would always be up and dressed before the rising bell. I would often be downstairs in the common room, giving matron and Mrs Buckman the fright of their life when they did their rounds!!! :lol:

I actually really enjoyed the hour of peace and quiet on my own downstairs before anyone else surfaced!

On my Grecians I suffered from pretty bad insomnia and got an average of about 3 hours sleep a night. I would quite often be up in my study at 4am doing physics prep. to get my brain 'warmed up' for the day lol

Jo Baker
LHA (99-01) Grecians East (01-02)

Senior Staff, Christian Survivors Ministries
http://www.christiansurvivors.com
http://www.christiansurvivors.com/forums
Mary Clare
2nd Former

Post by Mary Clare »

I always got up early, especially on my juniors, and went to.... Breakfast Club!! It was the best...
Ba B 97-03/Gr E 03-04

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"
Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Mary Clare
2nd Former

Post by Mary Clare »

Well you see, there were many breakfast clubs.. the 'Matthew Holdsworth' or Maine A one... And then there were the splinter groups... The one I regularly went to after Matt left was led by Mark and Mel, with other regulars such as Kate Atkinson (oh the honour of breakfasting with the SG on your LE!)
Ba B 97-03/Gr E 03-04

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Breakfast club?? Not something that I'm aware of from my day....
What did it involve?

J

(I can hear you all already saying "eating breakfast"!)
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Mary Clare
2nd Former

Post by Mary Clare »

Well yeah... Eating breakfast... I think it was always at 7.15, right at the start of brekkie.... Talked about stuff.... Waffle eating competitions...
Ba B 97-03/Gr E 03-04

Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Well, I sometimes used to get up early to go for a fag before breakfast.

It WAS quite nice to have the place to yourself for a while.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

All I recall about being woken in Barnes B by "B****r" Johnson (an unfair nickname as I know he was not a b****r, just a kind old fellow who couldn't bring himself to beat boys hard like the other teachers did) was that he used to say "Show a leg, show a leg, show a leg" which I believe came from the Royal Navy to find out if sailors had a whore in bed with them.

I don't know if he ever found a whore in the junior house dorm, perhaps he lived in hope.
Rory
Deputy Grecian

Post by Rory »

I thought he'd say "shake a leg".
And he did whack us - although it has to be said he would let you go and find a gym shoe so you would find the smallest possible....
Have to mention a couple of other things from this thread.
Thanks first to the inspired Q&A - what does a breakfast club do?
Answer - eat breakfast. Brilliant.
On slang - yer mum - I never used that at school - but its rife in the City.
I'm trying to introduce it over here "ni de ma" or a much more heavy version "wo tsao ni ma"
Then - Torkington - I remember his beard - a major disaster - and his car???? one of those old SAAB's that no-one (except him) would ever buy.
And the day he showed the boys in Barnes B how to shower naked.....
The whole house came down to check him out.
Matrons - whatever happened to Mrs Van Alphen ?????????????????
And finally - I've read a few mentions of the great Brian Cunningham...
Dodgy beard - but I was one of the first to study Russian as it was introduced as a new option and I didnt fancy doing German.
BC inspired a lifelong love of the language and literature that endures to this day - even if I ended up in China. He was a very good teacher and I am really grateful.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Rory wrote: Matrons - whatever happened to Mrs Van Alphen ?????????????????
Vanny's still around, it seems. Toby was telling me that his mum's still in touch with her.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?