Explanation of the 'Tube'

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

Elvie
LE (Little Erasmus)

Re: Explanation of the 'Tube'

Post by Elvie »

We had some crazy nights in that Sharpenhurst chamber. Candles, music, singing, drinking, smoking.....

We probably also used some incorrect grammar, but I’ll save those tales!
Andrewc
2nd Former

Post by Andrewc »

I still have quite vivid memories of the tube network having spent many happy hours walking and smoking in it. One of my usual activities was removing a light bulb, placing a coin in the socket, replacing the bulb and switching the light back on. The resulting darkness allowing me further protection while I smoked.
I also used one of the rooms to distil grapefruit juice to try and make alcohol. Far better to buy or 'borrow' from home which in the later years I frequently did. Another activity was efforts in tanning rat skins to make a fur coat. Never succeeded in this project.
Over the years (1963-70) I explored every part and was never caught though I did have some near misses. Can anyone confirm that under Big School there was a civil defence installation or is my memory playing tricks?
Andrew Cottingham
ThB 1963-1970
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

Andrewc wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:14 am I still have quite vivid memories of the tube network having spent many happy hours walking and smoking in it. One of my usual activities was removing a light bulb, placing a coin in the socket, replacing the bulb and switching the light back on. The resulting darkness allowing me further protection while I smoked.
I also used one of the rooms to distil grapefruit juice to try and make alcohol. Far better to buy or 'borrow' from home which in the later years I frequently did. Another activity was efforts in tanning rat skins to make a fur coat. Never succeeded in this project.
Over the years (1963-70) I explored every part and was never caught though I did have some near misses. Can anyone confirm that under Big School there was a civil defence installation or is my memory playing tricks?
Never saw it in person but saw a photo of a room with some teletypes on a bench table along the wall and know that it was listed as the shelter for Horsham/West Sussex council in case of emergency - but I saw that picture in the late 70's before actually getting to CH as my dad was in the observer corps and used to sometimes man the small post under/on Denn Hill (I used to have nightmares about the siren going and our family not being allowed into Peele gate to get to the shelter as I hadn't passed the entrance exam)