Housey Slang.....

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

jhopgood
Button Grecian

Re: Housey Slang.....

Post by jhopgood » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:26 pm

Completely off topic, but in 1972 I took a bus from Costa Rica to Miami. On the US border at Nuevo Laredo, I had to go through customs. The customs lady was not amused when I answered "I think I have some aspirin" when she asked if I had any drugs.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)

michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Re: Housey Slang.....

Post by michael scuffil » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:30 pm

Most discussions of Housey slang concentrate on words, but there was also Housey grammar. It particularly affected prepositions and articles.

For example, one went 'back to house', and was then 'back at house'. You went 'up' to school, or to chapel, or to choir practice. And if you were ill, you were 'over the sicker' (this was AL Johnstone's particular bête noire). You were of course 'on' the LFA, or whatever. As a punishment you were 'on silence' or 'down bottom'.

I've noticed that younger OBs on this column refer to having been 'on my deps' or even 'on my squits'. (This is a new departure.)

Are there any other examples of CH-specific grammar?
Th.B. 27 1955-63