Less flamboyant CH teachers

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Re: Less flamboyant CH teachers

Post by michael scuffil » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:52 pm

certain restrictions on publishing such information less than 100 years after death

You can publish what you like about someone who's dead. And truth is a defence against libel anyway. So if you wanted to add to the potted biography something like 'lazy and incompetent' or 'notorious paedophile' or 'Common Room Romeo' or 'frequently drunk', there's no reason -- except maybe taste -- why you shouldn't. Or you could write: 'The blandness of this entry is not unconnected with the fact that its subject is still alive.'
Th.B. 27 1955-63

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:21 pm

michael scuffil wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:52 pm
certain restrictions on publishing such information less than 100 years after death

You can publish what you like about someone who's dead. And truth is a defence against libel anyway. So if you wanted to add to the potted biography something like 'lazy and incompetent' or 'notorious paedophile' or 'Common Room Romeo' or 'frequently drunk', there's no reason -- except maybe taste -- why you shouldn't. Or you could write: 'The blandness of this entry is not unconnected with the fact that its subject is still alive.'
I could say something about Albert Pierrepoint, once GB's senior executioner who had respect for the dead. I intend to agree with his view along the lines of...

"Never speak ill of the dead."
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.

Alex
2nd Former

Post by Alex » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:25 pm

More about Ian Sutherland: he was a pleasant young classics teacher and for a year or two in the fifties a junior housemaster of Barnes A, with EA Littlefield as senior housemaster. I imagine that they got on very well, since Littlefield’s passion was cricket. Sutherland left CH for Harrow School and I gather he died a few years ago.

rockfreak
Deputy Grecian

Post by rockfreak » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:53 pm

Mr Halliday was the red-headed art teacher, Michael. I remember him as a rather nice, friendly man who once told us not to be wishy washy in our paintings. Be bold, he advised. Sadly I never quite made it as CH's version of Mark Rothko.

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:21 pm

michael scuffil wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:52 pm

You can publish what you like about someone who's dead. . So if you wanted to add to the potted biography something like 'lazy and incompetent' or 'notorious paedophile' or 'Common Room Romeo' or 'frequently drunk', there's no reason -- except maybe taste -- why you shouldn't.
The classic put down that I heard was a report on a Navy officer: "I have seen this officer sober". Truthful, positive - and character destroying.
“When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive, to think, to enjoy, to love ...”

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 167AD