Singapore, Melbourne, Auckland and Fiji

Section for overseas clubs, those planning travel, or those who are currently overseas. Aimed to provide a means of finding who's in your area, offering support or advice to travelling students etc.

Moderator: Moderators

icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Hannoir wrote:Ah yes, I see what you mean. Whats Adelaide like? I didnt make it there.
People from Sydney and Melbourne tend to rubbish Adelaide, and I have to admit that when I moved here from NZ, thinking that I was returning to city life, I quickly realised that Adelaide is more of a big country town than a city.

However, I can live here, rather than just exist as I would in Sydney, on a meagre scientist's salary. We have wonderful surburban beaches, surf beaches (complete with Southern Right Whales in winter) an hour from the city, great wines from three regions all within an hour or so of the city. I also feel much less isolated than I did when we first arrived, now that there are competitive airlines flying, making flights affordable.
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

yes, must make a trip sometime then. maybe next year....
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

We visited my sister-in law in Adelaide in April, I agree with the large county town description. Although it does have two universities and lots of good interesting museums. We liked the place.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

AKAP wrote:We visited my sister-in law in Adelaide in April, I agree with the large county town description. Although it does have two universities and lots of good interesting museums. We liked the place.
Actually, we have 3 universities - bit of overkill for a state with a population of about 1 million, in my opinion.

Glad to hear that you liked the city.

Caroline
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:
AKAP wrote:We visited my sister-in law in Adelaide in April, I agree with the large county town description. Although it does have two universities and lots of good interesting museums. We liked the place.
Actually, we have 3 universities - bit of overkill for a state with a population of about 1 million, in my opinion.

Caroline
Both my brother-in law and nephew work at one of them. Does your scientific work take in hoping mice or fruit bats?
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

I also agree that Sydney was more interesting than Melborne, we enjoyed the harbour (as described) and the botanic gardens.
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

I'd just like to go back to Australia actually. Not fussed where. Though I found Brisbane to be a bit dull really.
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

AKAP wrote:
icomefromalanddownunder wrote:

Caroline
Both my brother-in law and nephew work at one of them. Does your scientific work take in hoping mice or fruit bats?
Hell no.

I get to swig red wine all day :-). It's not bad being part of the Department of Wine and Horticulture.

I'm at the Waite Campus of Adelaide University. Hopping mice and fruit bats sound more Flinders - definitely too classy for Univ of South Australia.

Caroline
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Adelaide uni (I think) at least thats on the e-mail address.
Bill lectures medical type studies on anatomy but reserches reproduction in hoping mice!!!!!! Andrew (nephew) is a vet and doing a PhD on a virus in fruit bats (his PhD is with Brisbane uni but his base is at Adelaide uni).

Wine sounds much more interesting for reserch (do they pay you or do you pay them) although Andrew gets to travel all over the southern hemisphere at the government's expense.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

AKAP wrote:Adelaide uni (I think) at least thats on the e-mail address.
Bill lectures medical type studies on anatomy but reserches reproduction in hoping mice!!!!!! Andrew (nephew) is a vet and doing a PhD on a virus in fruit bats (his PhD is with Brisbane uni but his base is at Adelaide uni).

Wine sounds much more interesting for reserch (do they pay you or do you pay them) although Andrew gets to travel all over the southern hemisphere at the government's expense.
Is Bill part of the O&G Department? Worked there years ago - it was all fish and pigs back then, but they may well have moved into hopping mice.

Viruses in bats are big business - there was a bit of scare a couple of weeks ago. Can't remember the particular virus, but I think a horse died from a bat borne, and there was concern that it would infect a human or two. A couple of years ago a Qld based TB trainer and several of his horses died of, er, some virus beginning with H that is transmitted primarily by bats.

I am a PhD student, so get a tax free stipend which equates to the lowest paid Technicians' wage, but also get paid for demonstrating and marking: have to pay tax on that :-(.

Caroline
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Not sure which dpt Bill works in (I think it is the anatomy dpt of the medical school).
Andrew's bat reserch is on the Neeper (spelling?) virus, it is the virus you refer to. He does some spells as a locum vet which probably make him one of the best financed PhD students in Australia.