any expats?

Section for overseas clubs, those planning travel, or those who are currently overseas. Aimed to provide a means of finding who's in your area, offering support or advice to travelling students etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Is the UK scummy compared to the rest of the developed world?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 26

Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

did i mention i cant wait to escape?
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Hannoir wrote:did i mention i cant wait to escape?
I never knew! ;)
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
tobeconfirmed
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by tobeconfirmed »

To which part of Switzerland did you go Great Plum?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

tbs wrote:To which part of Switzerland did you go Great Plum?
Recently I went to Kandersteg in the Bernese Oberland... I have also been to Crans Montana, Saas Fee and Internlaken...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
JamesF35
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by JamesF35 »

I'm not sure I would have chosen the word "scummy" to describe the UK but, when you live abroad, you certainly become much more aware of what is wrong about UK society. It's a bit like my school reports really: "UK could do much better if it applied itself"
tobeconfirmed
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by tobeconfirmed »

I've just had a quick look at your website, JamesF35, genuinely nice site with some lovely properties. It looks like you have a Good Hand in your business.
Rod Stuart
2nd Former

JamesF35 web site

Post by Rod Stuart »

Can we also have a look at JamesF35's web site? Sounds interesting.
JamesF35
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by JamesF35 »

tbs wrote:I've just had a quick look at your website, JamesF35, genuinely nice site with some lovely properties. It looks like you have a Good Hand in your business.
Thank you. The Mayor assures us that Bonnemain is derived from ancient Breton for Bushes & Stones and has nothing at all to do with the hand of God which is what we originally assumed too !
Tim_MaA_MidB
Deputy Grecian

Post by Tim_MaA_MidB »

lvesey wrote:I have found since emigrating to Australia just over a year ago, that it is far better not to compare places, but to appreciate what each of them have.
I agree... I am moving to Brazil soon and they are so different it is hard to make a meaningful comparision. I can say however, that I do prefer Brazil at the moment, but after I have lived there for a while, maybe my feelings will change.
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

well, ive been in NZ for almost a year now, and i love it. yes, there are some things i miss and i cant deny that it would hard making a permanent move. sure, wages are lower here, its in the middle of nowhere but how many people in the UK can have a morning surf then go to a high profile office job? the quality of life here, in terms of the values people place as priorities is a winner as far as i am concerned.
and at the moment i feel let down and ashamed by my country.
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
lvesey
3rd Former

Post by lvesey »

surfing before work? but it's bl**dy freezing at the moment!

you make a good point though. Having said that, there aren't many institutions like CH in these far flung colonial outposts
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

I flew into Stansted on Thursday afternoon. As we drove down the M11 it hit me as it had hit me every time I came back from Brazil. England stinks; yes, it really smells. It's a sweetish sickly slight odour but enough to want me to turn round immediately.

In this community where I lived since 1980 I might know a dozen people at the outside; in France (where the community is a fraction of the size) I cannot go into the village or our local town without running into many many people I know well. It's a rare day when somebody doesn't copme up the drive or I don't go to a friend's house for an apero or yak session.

There is none of the suspicion one gets in England - they understand I am not about to run off withy their family silver, seduce their daughter or do any one of a hundred nasty things. In England the doors are locked, any approach is viewed with concern. We have heard one side of the terror raid story - obviously there has to be another side but my experience is closer to that of the victims that the "all sweetness and light" police. The French police don't pretend to be nice (though my few meetings with them have been most pleasant).

There can be a problem of language - a problem only if you let it worry you because the locals aren't worried if you make a mistake. There can also be a problem with lack of Oxo and Baked Beans - are you going to worry about a shortage when you can get an excellent, tummy stretching meal for 10 euros (about £6.70p) including wine and wine at under 70 pence a litre.

Hannoir points to NZ wages being lower - they are where I am in France, but the cost of living is proportionately low. Food is especially good according to Northern French ("Ils mangent bien au Sud-Ouest".

OK so my children and grandchildren are in the UK but they look forward to coming out - good weather, comfort, plenty to do and see (see my site from the business thread). For me the days are full - it's a 13 hour day sometimes when the fruit needs picking and processing but then I can take days off, go to see friends in Provence, Spain ....... and there's always the visitors; we had couples from the UK, from Spain and from Australia in one 2 week period just ended. One doesn't get bored in France but in UK there's little to do except browse Lakeside and Bluewater on alternate days.

No, I'm happy there but SWMBO gets homesick sometimes.
Rory
Deputy Grecian

Post by Rory »

I've lived in China for just over 2 years now and to be honest - I'm glad I came out here - although I haven't any plans to stay here for ever... to be honest - at first life always seems better overseas - apart from the financial reasons - its new and exciting and I always had the feeling that there was more to see than just good old UK - and it IS different to live somewhere rather than just go on holiday. The thing I miss most about England is the humour - no one understands British humour except us Brits......I also get to enjoy the best of England when I come back to visit - i.e. drink proper beer etc. etc and don't have to get frustrated by anything cos its just short term. I don't think England is scummy at all - but it is frustrating to live there sometimes - you're not allowed to do anything - and food is really expensive in restaurants - and fags and wine are too heavily taxed - but I still love England - probably more so now that I'm only there for a few weeks a year.
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

yes well. ugh. being back in england is rather rubbish, seeing as i cant get a job and could have got several in NZ! there isnt the friendliness and overall level of respect here neither are there volcanoes and fabulous beaches and glaciers and geothermal stuff on my doorstep.

yep, the cost of living there is lower. i plan to earn in pounds for a few years then go there. i cant wait.

its odd, people say that absence makes the heart grow fonder but its made me realise that england isnt where i want to be. and although there arent esteemed institutions such as CH, if i lived abroad id be happy to help OBs and pupils with anything to do with the country i was in.

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
Rory
Deputy Grecian

Post by Rory »

Hannoir wrote:geothermal stuff on my doorstep
are they left by geothermal cats and dogs ????