America!!!

Section for overseas clubs, those planning travel, or those who are currently overseas. Aimed to provide a means of finding who's in your area, offering support or advice to travelling students etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Pitcnj98
2nd Former

America!!!

Post by Pitcnj98 »

Dunno if anyones over here in the US, but I reside in South Carolina, among other states, is anyone else out here?
Pitcher
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

i worked in NYC for 6 months. i miss it. sniff.
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
menace
3rd Former

Anyone in America

Post by menace »

There are loads of OB's in the USofA. Try a message to jbell@ssbb.com - he is the big honcho on the East Coast. I am fairly sure there is a generic newsletter and various get togethers. Personally I am on the Other Coast - along with more than 30 OB's with very loose connections. Feel free to email me if you have any specific questins (I've lived here for more than 25 years now). Patrick H from class of 69 and one half. :D
menace
3rd Former

Old Blues USA

Post by menace »

Check the Old Blues Clubs section.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
menace
3rd Former

Post by menace »

One of the few places I know where you can surf in the morning and ski all afternoon...graham is quite correct, this is a country of the most magnificent scenery. I look out onto a small mountain range (the Santa Monicas) that only top out at 4000 ft just over 1200 m I think. The Getty museum perhaps sums up the culture - a wonderful collection of the best of the second tier. and culture is the biggest hole here - you tend to take it for granted in the UK. On geography - it is not even taught in the schools - they assume it will be acquired by some osmotic process in other studies. Amazing and propounded by people who should certainly know better.
For all that it can be a wonderful place to live, especially here in SoCal, but I even liked living in Connecticut, where I spent many happy years. When things are bad the people are incredibly generous, and the more educated are on a par with most Europeans. Let's not raise the spectre of the UK Health system! At my age and with kids I am grateful to have the service we get here, no waiting three years for minor surgery like my mother did, in pain most of the time. See - it's all about the balance you ar eprepared to support....
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

[let's not get political. i hate having to whoop ass. especially when it's just naive misguided gullable ass, rather than genuinely evil ass]

is it true that only 1 in 3 americans even has a passport? scenery i suppose (amongst many many other reasons).

you guys have 'fair trade' goods over there? it's taken off over here in quite a big way.
The finger to the land of the chains!
WHAT? The land of the FREE?!
Whoever told you that is your ENEMY...
matthew
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by matthew »

A quick look on Google found this:

http://www.gyford.com/phil/writing/2003 ... merica.php

Looks like it's probably less than the third you quote. But Americans can travel a lot further than Brits without one. For a fairer comparison, imagine that you could travel within the EU on nothing more than a driver's licence, and ask yourself how many in the UK would bother with a passport.

I'd *like* to think it's more than 20%, but I'm not wholly convinced.
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

yeah. like was said earlier; there's mountains, prairie, desert, swampland, forests and hawaii all in one nation. i suppose the only thing missing is tropical rainforest, and let's be honest, how many of you have ever been? the closest i've ever come to a jungle is the Eden Project...
menace
3rd Former

Post by menace »

I have driven all over Europe (literally), worked in every major city in Europe, lived in London, Paris, Geneva, Rome and Algiers (yes you heard) - and I CHOOSE to live in the US for all its many faults. The scenery is unparalleled for variety and quality, there are strretches of space you Europeans cannot comprehend, matched only in China, Russia and Canada. The ONLY thing missing is old culture and that carries its own baggage. There is a vitality here that Europe lost sometime before the French Revolution that at least makes life interesting. and yes before you ask there are lots of things I miss, but not enough to make me move back. Actually every time I go back to UK I am astonished at how much more similar it has become to the US - MickyD, Bud etc etc
You have to look at the whole package and on balance I find more to like than not. At least I can attend a sports event without risking my life like the last soccer match I went to. And even cricket - coloured clothes, protective headgear and bottles thrown on the pitch - tell me about it.
lancereyno
2nd Former

America

Post by lancereyno »

I have Patrick's contact information but not others in the US that have visited this forum.

I am the Secretary of Friend's of Christ's Hospital and have contact information for about 140 US Old Blues. I am about to send out our first newsletter. Let me know if you would like a copy either electronic or hard.

Lance Reynolds lancereyno@sbcglobal.net 510-814-1942
Alameda CA
Lance Reynolds
mattyjadams
2nd Former

Treasure Coast Florida

Post by mattyjadams »

I'm currently on the East Coast of Florida on the Treasure Coast. Vero beach area where I'm training to become a flying instructor. Anyone else around here?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I lived in Pennsylvania for 4 years (Bucks County) and they say that you are only Pennsylvanian when you can give someone the route from Blue Balls to Intercourse without laughing.
lancereyno
2nd Former

Pennsylvania

Post by lancereyno »

It's easy enough when you come from w****r's Corner, Oregon.
Lance Reynolds
lancereyno
2nd Former

Pennsylvania

Post by lancereyno »

It's easy enough when you come from w****r's Corner, Oregon.
Lance Reynolds