Hong kong

Section for overseas clubs, those planning travel, or those who are currently overseas. Aimed to provide a means of finding who's in your area, offering support or advice to travelling students etc.

Moderator: Moderators

peter2095
GE (Great Erasmus)

Hong kong

Post by peter2095 »

Hi All

I'm going out to hong kong in November, is there any must see's?

Also does anyone know the best place to go either in Kowloon or Hong Kong Island to have my suits and shirts made?

Thanks
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

The trams on the island are a very cheap way to sede a great variety of things, last time I was there it was a flat fare for a ride. The Star Ferry is one of the sights and experiences of the place.

ENJOY!!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

If you like sea-food, do make sure you go down to the Kowloon fish market to buy live fish & shellfish ( some of them unidentifiable to europeans !) and have them cooked immediately by the restaurant of your choice.

Also don't forget to take the cable-car up to Victoria Peak - the view from the top is amazing. If you have time, go over to Aberdeen .

I didn't have any clothes ever made in Hong Kong, but there are a vast number of tailors down in Tsimshatsui.

Have fun - Hong Kong is a great " cultural shock " !
B.
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
peter2095
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by peter2095 »

Thanks for the advice

I keep hearing it is a culture shock, can i ask in what sense?
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Hong Kong is humid , noisy, smelly and there seems to be a continual flood of people moving in all directions at any time of the day or night.

The rapid reversion to chinese after the handover of 1997 is noticeable everywhere - but don't let that stop you going into a chinese self-service restaurant - pointing ( with the mandatory smiling) works here, and even if you don't recognise the food, try it anyway. The downside of this being, unfortunately, that you will never been satisfied with so-called chinese restaurants in the UK again...

It's exciting, but also exhausting - I remember my first trip there, I had the Saturday free before moving on to KL and I left my hotel in the morning with a full day's sightseeing planned - but by early afternoon I was so knackered ( the combination of high temperatures and almost total humidity ), I went back to the hotel and collapsed !

On the other hand, the MRT ( underground) is impressive : clean, airconditioned, fast and safe - puts us europeans to shame. If you are there for several days, buy an Oyster card to travel around - it comes with various visitor's discounts.

Don't expect Hong Kong to be cheap, outside of hi-tech goods - everything has to be imported, which bumps the cost of living right up.

Into which hotel are you booked ?

B.
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
peter2095
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by peter2095 »

Thanks for the advice

Booked into the Miramar hotel in Kowloon for 10nights.

I want to get quite deep into the New Territory and have a look around there for a couple of days.

I'm trying to learn a few cantonese phrases just in case i get stuck but i do like the good old smile and point :)

Thanks for your help
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

If you get up into the New Territories, ask someone to point you to the clothing manufacturers - there are some wonderful fantasy jeans to be picked up for a fraction of UK prices ( you will be very popular with the girls back home ...) - lots of businesses have moved to the N.T. because real estate prices are lower.

Otherwise, lots of useful information here :

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/login.html

You can drink the tap-water in Hong-kong, no problem, and if you are watching your budget there are loads of 7-11 shops all over the place.

let us know how you get on...
B.
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

I have sent you a PM
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70