Sydney - Founders Day Lunch

Section for overseas clubs, those planning travel, or those who are currently overseas. Aimed to provide a means of finding who's in your area, offering support or advice to travelling students etc.

Moderator: Moderators

lvesey
3rd Former

Sydney - Founders Day Lunch

Post by lvesey »

Roger may have posted this somewhere else. If not;

Founders day lunch is on Saturday 23rd September. Aboard the Captain Cook. Contact Roger Wickens (see OB's website).

Anyone travelling through is also more than welcome. Last year lunch turned into afternoon drinks in the Rocks, followed by dinner on Crown St, and some more drinks, i think.
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

Post by UserRequestedRemoval »

Are there a lot of OBs in Aussie?
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

I remember when I thought I would fly over from Auckland for it, but I forgot.

Silly me.
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

soc wrote:Are there a lot of OBs in Aussie?
thye probably can't remember judging by the first post.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

Post by UserRequestedRemoval »

englishangel wrote:
soc wrote:Are there a lot of OBs in Aussie?
thye probably can't remember judging by the first post.
That's a good one EA.

You know, I also wonder if there is a part of the globe we aren't in
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I doubt, even up Everest and at the Poles you can find the CH flag.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

I think there are a few OBs in Oz and NZ, still OZ is such a big place then it wouldnt matter if there was one thing somewhere cos it would be too much hassle for most to get there!
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Hannoir wrote:I think there are a few OBs in Oz and NZ, still OZ is such a big place then it wouldnt matter if there was one thing somewhere cos it would be too much hassle for most to get there!

Greeting from Adelaide :lol:

There is at least one other OB in South Australia - Dr Gribble, who founded the pathology company that I worked for when we first moved here. No nepotism involved in me gaining the position: I never met Dr G, and only realised that he was an OB when I discovered the CH website via FR.

I received a letter from someone a couple of years ago - she was in England at the time, but had been dobbed in to arrange a South Australian gathering. Unfortunately I couldn't decipher her writing sufficiently to uncover a return address for a reply: quite an achievement on her part, as I spend a great deal of time deciphering doctor's handwriting.

Travelling between capital cities in Oz is easy, and cheapish now that we have Virgin flights (thank you Richard B - I love you), and that there is a train from Sydney airport to the city. I would consider attending a gathering in Sydney if I had enough notice to arrange a cheapo flight and accommodation. Will keep my eye on the NSW pages of the website.

Alternatively, if anyone reading would like to gather in Adelaide or surrounds, I would be willing to consider being on the organising committee.
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

yeah i guess the rise of jetstar and virgin means its better. and the sydney train is good, def better than anything in auckland!

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
lvesey
3rd Former

Post by lvesey »

It's only taken me 6 months to reply to this post. Very slow internet connection here you see.

Theres a few permanent Old Blues here, and a few who are here to do the tour of duty.

Founders Day Lunch is nice though, same time same place this year i imagine.