Once in a lifetime experiences....

Section for overseas clubs, those planning travel, or those who are currently overseas. Aimed to provide a means of finding who's in your area, offering support or advice to travelling students etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Tim_MaA_MidB
Deputy Grecian

Post by Tim_MaA_MidB »

I have enough to be thinking about with my impending emigration without too many flying horror stories thank you!

:shock:
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Tim_MaA_MidB wrote:I have enough to be thinking about with my impending emigration without too many flying horror stories thank you!

:shock:
The stories I could tell you about Manaus ................

After you get used to the heat, humidity and pingas you should enjoy it.

Varig used to be my favoured airline going down there; yes, they were ropey in the 70's, 80's and 90's but I haven't followed their fortunes for 6 years. I suppose it comes down to the commitment of O Estado de Rio Grande do Sul.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Tim_MaA_MidB
Deputy Grecian

Post by Tim_MaA_MidB »

I have been in Manaus for 3 months over the last year and already have a few stories of my own...many are post 9pm watershed quality tho'.

The thing that most non-Brazilians have a problem with, especially in business, is the Brazilians' lack of time-awareness. There is no point in trying to rush about and get a thing done in a hurry unless you want to throw a lot of money at it.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Tim_MaA_MidB wrote:The thing that most non-Brazilians have a problem with, especially in business, is the Brazilians' lack of time-awareness. There is no point in trying to rush about and get a thing done in a hurry unless you want to throw a lot of money at it.
This is not limited to Brazil, we used to say that Malay had no word that conveyed the urgency of 'Manana'. Another expression was 'Rubber Time'.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Tim_MaA_MidB
Deputy Grecian

Post by Tim_MaA_MidB »

hehe... that's good
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Tim_MaA_MidB wrote:The thing that most non-Brazilians have a problem with, especially in business, is the Brazilians' lack of time-awareness. There is no point in trying to rush about and get a thing done in a hurry unless you want to throw a lot of money at it.
No, that's a locality thing. Sao Paulo city is pretty time-aware whilst the "German" states in the south (SC, RGS etc.) are very prompt and don't like lateness. Me? I picked up a Carioca mentality; "there are 3 important things in life - la praia, las panteras e o futbal, though not necessarily in that order". Nothing much else matters