Ladies names, Horsham 50-57

Post requests for information about people you've lost touch with, and would like to contact again.

Moderator: Moderators

tub
2nd Former

Ladies names, Horsham 50-57

Post by tub »

Please can anyone help me with the names of:
NT Fryer's wife*. Mrs Fryer had been a nurse in the San until they married. (So sorry to read of NT's death. Incidentally, does any one else remember him as 'Froggy' Fryer?)

Mrs Fryer's fellow nurse*(s).

Phillipa Flecker's sister. My recollection is that we saw Phillipa regulary but only for short periods, and her sister but rarely. Any ideas why? Come on, you young lads aged 77-80, you must know more than I do.

*A quite severely-torn knee cartilage (then known as 'water on the knee') denied me rugby and cricket for most of 54-57. The ministrations of these lovely happy ladies provided a solitary but substantial recompense.
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Re: Ladies names, Horsham 50-57

Post by DavidRawlins »

Phillipa Flecker was away at boarding school, I think, so she only rarely sat with her father in chapel. (Widor's organ piece goes Phillpa, Phillipa and so on). She was much admired.
I know nothing of her sister, presumably she was away as well. Perhaps they went to finishing school somewhere.
Col A 1946-1953
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I caqn only remember 'Bogey' Fryer's wife as a lovely woman but have no idea of her Christian name. Was always known as Mrs Fryer.

NTF's death was untimely after he left CH to teach elsewhere, as | recall.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Philippa's sister = Nichola (Nicky).
:shock:
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

so many ladies ....! The one I owe a lot to was an Irish nurse in the sicker about 1956 - Her Irish magic got rid of a load of warts behind Dr Scott's back
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

I have a feeling that Fryer's wife was Nurse Herbert while at the Sicker but I can't remember a Christian name. Yes, a nice woman as I recall. Every now and again they would invite a couple of boys over to their house for a very welcome and well-cooked Sunday lunch. Fryer was Froggy Fryer while at his Peele house but was always Bogey at Col B. God knows why because I don't ever recall him picking his nose whatever other strange habits he may have had - but that's schoolboys for you.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Phillipa Flecker's greatest contribution to life at C.H. was to sit beside her parents in Chapel, where she made a much more attractive sight than those ghastly murals. I believe, but can't be certain, that she settled in Australia. Phillipa was seen only rarely and Nicky even less.

*A quite severely-torn knee cartilage (then known as 'water on the knee') denied me rugby and cricket for most of 54-57. The ministrations of these lovely happy ladies provided a solitary but substantial recompense." Hmmmm? According to Bryan Magee (BaA 41-48) in his autobiography one night sister (ca.47-48) gave ministrations of a distinctly personal and intimate nature!!

David :shock:
ZeroDeConduite
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by ZeroDeConduite »

From today's CHOBA News:
THOSE OLD BLUES WHO ARE NO LONGER WITH US

...Wendy Fryer CH Infirmary Nurse 52-53
PrepA 1951-2 Peele A 1953-60
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

ZeroDeConduite wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:01 pm From today's CHOBA News:
THOSE OLD BLUES WHO ARE NO LONGER WITH US

...Wendy Fryer CH Infirmary Nurse 52-53
I saw that just a few minutes ago.

I'm just guessing, but would she have been the wife of 'Bogey' Fryer, HM of Coleridge B ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Jtyner
2nd Former

Post by Jtyner »

Hi everyone. I have just found this site and registered.
Philippa flecker and her brother and sister are my cousins. Does anyone know where they are and if they are still alive? We are distant cousins on their mothers side. Thankyou for reading. Its been lovely to read about a small part of their lives.
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

There is a picture of all 3 of them on this twitter link: https://twitter.com/choldblues/media

The photo is of them at Christ's Hospital on Old Blues Day on 30 April so they were all still alive then at least. According to the caption, the ladies had come over from Australia and James from the West Country.

I hope this helps.