James Peto

Post requests for information about people you've lost touch with, and would like to contact again.

Moderator: Moderators

huntertitus
Button Grecian

James Peto

Post by huntertitus »

I have been photographing churches in detail for the past seven years and have found a grave which might possibly be of interest to James Peto. His father was a CH teacher called Morton Peto. The grave is a large family vault in London and the inscriptions read..."Samuel Morton Son of Samuel Morton and Mary Peto Born 25th December 1841 Died 20th February 1842" on one part and "Mary Wife of Samuel Morton Peto Born 29th July 1807 Died 20th May 1842" A sad story that the wife died a mere 3 months after her baby died. I have several photos of the tomb which I could send to James if he is interested in family history and if indeed this is the same family.
AndrewH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: James Peto

Post by AndrewH »

Both Morton & James Peto were reported as being at Ted Bradley's funeral back in 2010.
http://chforum.info/php/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3530
Andrew Harrison
Maine A 1970-73
Lamb A 1973-77
eucsgmrc
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by eucsgmrc »

I've just spotted huntertitus' post from 2013 and I think I can explain the Morton Peto family vault.It will be the family of Sir Samuel Morton Peto https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morton_Peto, 1st Baronet (4 August 1809 – 13 November 1889). He began as an apprentice bricklayer, made an distinguished career, became an MP, and eventually died in obscurity and relative poverty. His particular achievement was as the "general" of one of those mighty armies of navvies who built the vast engineering works of Britain's railways, almost exclusively by man- and horse-power (in contrast to the American use of steam machinery). Britain's campaign in the Crimean war would have been a catastrophic failure without the railway from Balaclava to Sebastopol that Morton Peto's (and Thomas Brassey's and Edward Betts') men built at a phenomenal speed.

I have long assumed that CH's Morton Peto was a direct descendant, but that's based on pure guesswork. If I ever had any evidence for it, I've forgotten!

Or perhaps this is in the "duh, everyone knows that" category, in which case I apologise for wasting your time.
John Wexler
Col A 1954-62
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

eucsgmrc wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:29 am I have long assumed that CH's Morton Peto was a direct descendant, but that's based on pure guesswork. If I ever had any evidence for it, I've forgotten!
Working on my family tree I have assumed/hoped that certain unusual family names were used by at least the next generation.
Your guess is as good as anyone's until disproved.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

jhopgood wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:49 pm ]
Working on my family tree I have assumed/hoped that certain unusual family names were used by at least the next generation.
Your guess is as good as anyone's until disproved.
It is little secret that I was adopted (?twice) even before I got to CH. Those people and the couple who took me in later always kept me informed of who my blood parents were. In the past year, for the first time, I have met members of both families - neither knew about the other. On my mother's side there has almost (perhaps always) been an Ephraim since the mid 1600's - records have not been traced back earlier. That said the last such, my cousin, died just a few years ago.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!