Gill and Bill Poland

Post requests for information about people you've lost touch with, and would like to contact again.

Moderator: Moderators

annabelle
2nd Former

Gill and Bill Poland

Post by annabelle »

Gill and Bill Poland
For anyone who knew Gill or Bill here is the news as of Feb 2011
I met with Gill late last summer for the first time in over 40 years and sadly life had not been very good to her in many ways, but she was ever cheerful in spite of the fact that she had been diagnosed with cancer - thereafter she came to visit me at home and we spent a long time chatting about the past at CH and what had happened since. She was particularly sad to hear of the death ten years ago of our contemporary Carola Curwen.
Her brother Bill lived for 30 years or more in Italy teaching, he married and had one son, but he too had his own demons to conquer, sadly he died some years ago. Much to Gills regret she was not with him as he had said he was getting better, but he may have been protecting her from the inevitable.
Sadly Gill died on Saturday 12th Feb at home in London, and her funeral takesplace on Thursday 24th Feb at Golders Green Crematorium at 10 am, her ashes will be buried with her brothers. May they both rest in peace.
In an ironic twist, given I had wondered over 40 years what had become of her, her best friend for 20 years, with whom I am now in contact, works in the same University as I do so the world is always so much smaller than we think.
Annabelle Mark (nee Parfitt)annabelle
2nd Former

Private message
Jo
Button Grecian

Re: Gill and Bill Poland

Post by Jo »

Hi Anabelle

I don't remember Gill Poland but I'm sorry to hear of her death. I edit the Remembering (Obituaries) section of The Old Blue, and wondered if you would be willing to write a short obituary for the next issue (up to 300 words or so)? It's probably too late for the issue just going to press but could be included in the next one later this year. If you can remember her house and dates, so much the better, thought the CHOBA office probably has that information too.

I was also sorry to hear from your posting that Carola Curwen had died. I remember her, and I also remember you (and your sister Chlorinda), though I was a few years below you at Hertford.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
ColeridgeA40
2nd Former

Re: Gill and Bill Poland

Post by ColeridgeA40 »

Thanks very much for this information which I have shared with Martin Blake ( Col B) and Julian Wild ( Col A) who were contemporary with Bill Poland at Horsham. I was two years his senior but knew him well as we lived within two miles of him ( in South Croydon). In fact Julian & I watched the Beatles " Magical Mystery Tour" on Boxing Day 1967 at Bill's house as we didn't have television at home. I'd heard that he died abroad "in mysterious circumstances" so much relieved to hear that, although he has died, he was married with an heir.