Do you or an OB you know live in Yorkshire?

Post requests for information about people you've lost touch with, and would like to contact again.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Do you or an OB you know live in Yorkshire?

Post by englishangel »

I think I will probably end up in West Sussex or Hampshire (near my sister). Husband has no hankering for Yorkshire.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

My current husband is at this very moment putting together his overnight kit for a recce trip to Yorkshire.

I mean... it's a long way away! It's colder! It's positively furrin' parts!

He keeps saying persuasively that I would love being within striking distance of York. Can I see myself as a Northern Granny? Susannah says that I could get another hat and we could "go to the races together!"

The scheme is that we should have a house large enough to accommodate my FIL as well, in the event that he becomes a bit more wobbly...

Actually, I was entranced when watching "The Curse of the Were-Rabbit" to note that that Wallace was reading "Ay-Oop" magazine. Sorry, I know that's Lancashire.

Yorkshire! :shock:
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

It's "ey-up" in Yorkshire.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

As if I'd know, Mary! :lol:
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

We have a new colleague, straight off the plane from 'uddersfield. He's very friendly, and quite loud: keeps me amused as I watch his team of Ockers sitting politely with smiles on their faces, understanding about one word in ten. I have suggested that he talks more slowly, as I have trouble keeping up with him, and the locals have no chance at all, but I believe he thinks that I'm joking.

Today he asked if anyone of them wanted owt, which reminded me of a previous colleague on a business trip to York with a fellow colleague who was from Yorkshire. They stayed with Chris' relatives, one of whom asked David if he would like to go to the pub with them. 'No thanks' David replied, 'I think I'll stay here'. 'Right Lad, do you want owt?' 'No. Thank you. I think I'll stay here'. 'Aye, Lad, but do you want owt'. 'No. Thank you. I don't want out. I'm going to stay here'. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Oh Caroline. That's superb! :lol: (Must remember that one...)
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

Good story Caroline.

I like owt like that...

Liz
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

Hi Everybody ! Thought I'd pop by and I spotted this jolly thread.
Much love to all....it's like a Travelodge Reunion here !

I teach overseas students English. Two of my South American girls ( well women...and Colombian to be precise)
are "Coronation Street" addicts and have a habit of using "owt" and "nowt" and other Lancastrian colloquialisms. Funny !
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

A little off topic but no apologies.

When I got home from work last night son was watching "Last of the summer Wine" where Compo dies. The next program was his funeral and I had to go out half way through so recorded it. Later in the evening husband and I watched the funeral, and it was so moving we sat there with tears running down our faces. I don't suppose much acting was required as they had all been to Bill Owen's funeral recently.

Point of the ramble is that although Husband says Bill Owen's accent was quite good, his use of thee and tha' was dreadful. They are actually the second person singular, (as tu in French) and he used them as plural all the time.
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

Alex you must have responded to my thoughts cos I was about to send you a text to check your whereabouts and wellbeing! Good to have you dropping in....

You met Mick, my other half? He is real East Yorkshire, sometimes at first I was at a loss conversationally around his family and friends but you sort of get an ear for it.

The York accent is different again - Yorkshire but posh.

Having lived in Sheffield and with relatives in Rotherham and Doncaster area I suppose I can claim true Yorkshire roots but have been accused of various other "accents" over the years including London, Midland and Lancashire - I think you tend to pick up the local twang without realising.

When I lived in Germany I was obliged to speak very correct BBC English so it's fun to stray away....

Liz
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Isn't it strange how we have instinctive feelings about particular regional accents? I was quite worried when my daughter Kirri went for a job interview in Northern Ireland - I hated the idea of maybe having grandchildren with a Belfast accent, which I find really ugly. Although my preconceptions are usually quite wrong my gut reaction to a West Midlands accent is 'thick', Yorkshire is 'friendly, but no nonsense', West country is 'down-to-earth' etc. I'm not keen on Liverpool either, which is where Kirri's partner is from, so I wait to see what accent six-month-old Millie will develop (probably Medway, rather than Mersey!). Maria's children will be bi-lingual - her Finnish husband speaks better English than any of us! My father still surprises me sometimes with short vowels inherited from his Lancastrian father (or possibly his Tipperary mother?); the family moved from Manchester to London before Dad was born, 85 years ago. CH actually did a lot of smoothing out of local accents, without consciously trying to. Conversely when I went to college I remember that people tended to keep their regional accents. The first weekend I went home, my father told me that my room-mate was from Manchester - actually it was Oswaldtwistle!, but I had absorbed her accent enough for him to recognise it.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Cap1tana
2nd Former

Post by Cap1tana »

Im in north east Lincolnshire..... does that count??
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

I can hardly believe how fast our move to Yorkshire is progressing.

It's yet to be confirmed, but we should be north-east of York on 26 August!

The cat was born in Wakefield - could be he'll have retained a Northern miaow when he ventures out to make new friends! :roll:
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

Hi Munch

North-east of York sounds very near us!

Liz
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Whoopee!

It was when scoffing down a restorative bun in Malton that I spotted the transport of your friend who breeds the (insert name of alternative variety of Bearded Collie)s!

Was it she who was giving me helpful getting-a-puppy advice on Facebook?

Malton will be our nearby town, and very jolly it looks.

Transport! I shall have to master the use of Susannah's unbelievably complicated baby transportation system - known in primitive times as "a pushchair". The baby is due early October, with a granny on the spot, DV. :wink: