Gilbert Elliot: where are you now?

Post requests for information about people you've lost touch with, and would like to contact again.

Moderator: Moderators

Zimapan
2nd Former

Gilbert Elliot: where are you now?

Post by Zimapan »

I am trying to trace an old acquaintance of mine who I believe attended Christ's Hospital during the early part of the 20th century. His name is GILBERT ELLIOT (I think with one 'T'). He was probably born around 1910.

I met GE when he was living in Seaford, East Sussex (1970), while working at Fisher & Duforest, a shipping company in Newhaven, which hired casual dock labourers to unload and sort ships' cargo. He also worked as a roadsweeper and as a car-park attendant for Seaford for Seaford District Council. I am also keen to find out what he did before he moved to Seaford.

I think he must have had some kind of artistic training; certainly an artistic bent. He knew about the techniques of etching, for example. I met him often for a drink in pubs in Seaford. He often talked of Ezra Pound and other poets, and spent hours at the guesthouse pencil-drawing. He very occasionally sold one of his drawings. All this seems remarkable for someone who only worked as a manual labourer when he was in his mid-60s.

I think he had a sister or relatives who lived in Rye, I think, with whom he spent Christmasses. He was a very modest, shy man. I don't think he ever married. I took some good-quality colour photographs (slides) of him on the shingle beach at Seaford in the around 1974, with my first SLR camera with the Russian 'Helios' lens, and still have them! He made a great subject to photograph.

When living in Seaford, he was a resident of the Bentley Guest House in Pelham Road, where he rented a room.

I want to know:
  • Whether he is still alive
  • What he did in the earlier part of his life
  • Whether he has any living relatives, and whether they would like the colour photographs
  • Whether he attended CH
  • What subjects he excelled at
  • Whether there are any other records of him or his life
Contact
If you know about this person, or know someone who could help me trace him or his relatives, please contact me a.s.a.p. via this site.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Gilbert Elliot: where are you now?

Post by englishangel »

I will ask my Dad (who was born and brought up in Rye and lived there until 10 years ago) if he knew any Elliots.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
fandaturner
2nd Former

Re: Gilbert Elliot: where are you now?

Post by fandaturner »

Hello Zamapan

Browsing the internet looking for information on the name Gilbert Elliot your request popped up although it wasn't the person I was initially looking for. That one died in 1873.

But I realised that the Gilbert Elliot whom you are asking about was the uncle of my wife and the grandson of the above.
Unfortunately he died of cancer on 26 Dec 1992 in a nursing home in Seaford.

According to information given to us by the archivistof CH he entered the school in September 1916 and left in December 1921

As far as we are aware he had no definite profession he just wanted to paint.

If ther is any further information which we can help you with let us know

Fandaturner