Duncan Noel-Paton [FOUND]

Post requests for information about people you've lost touch with, and would like to contact again.

Moderator: Moderators

Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

Every time I see the older Terry Jones on telly, I'm reminded of Duncan.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

(BaA 88-95; Foundation Staff 99-02)
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Good to see you posting on here Tom!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
cscashby
2nd Former

Post by cscashby »

Sergiu Panaite wrote:
Mary Clare wrote:...
Allo allo, another person who was there nearer to when I was. Are those towers still working? I would've imagined they might've broken down or something...
They're still there, although having spoken about them with Tom (Law, currently Tech Manager) the other day they've (fortunately) dwindled in 'popularity' (ie, been banned from use unless really necessary!) as the teabags are very expensive to replace, and the things are, frankly, still quite dangerous!

The live moves were insane; I was around to see bits of the rehearsals... Very scary stuff.

Christian.
Who may be back for at least a day or so to help with the Magic Flute this month...
stage crew
2nd Former

Post by stage crew »

As slight digression to tower-moving - I was a 2nd former at the time of the official opening (or was it the RIBA award cermony?) made in late 1975. In the presence of the Princess Alice.

I remember quite clearly that this involved "live" tower movement and to my dismay, as a member of the audiance, one of the stage crew guys lept about 4 foot from the top of one tower to another as it was being moved away. It still makes the palms of my hands sweat just thinking about it.

I later became part of the lighting sqaud and used to sit in Funky-Dunky's offices that was also the lighting box, pre-sampling the after show-party wine and making illicit calls to the New York dial-a-joke line on his red BT phone (which, during performances, had a silence feature on the bell but augmented with a light in the handle which pulsated when the phone rang)
LHA 75-78
La B 78-82
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

When i started in 1982 I think the towers were already out of action, we talked until 1989 about getting them working again, we did re-install one into the theatre as a fixed feature but not the last couple of sections, I didn't realise they got back in use. WOuld have been nice to see it.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Re: Funky Dunky...

Post by wurzel »

fnky dnky jr. wrote:Mr Cudlipp - oh how the mighty have fallen - 2 budding actors: i was a blood cell in Bodyworks and I seem to remember something along the lines of GCSE Drama... now reduced to IT analysts.

Thanks to all who've added to this thread - us kids (thanks Tim) were chuffed to read wot you said bout our dad! I'll let him know he's still remembered, follies and all. Cheers.
Sam,

I went to a family reunion on my wife's side in Farnham royal a couple of years back and a family tree was wheeled out. I was surprised to see your father on it and I got to add you and kate. So yes i am related to you via my wife's scottish family (by the way you are the only male with the surname according to that tree)
Thornton chimp
2nd Former

DNP

Post by Thornton chimp »

I spent seven years at CH and all my happiest memories are of the theatre and running the department ragged with my incescant mimicking of whatever i had seen that was vile on the television that week, constant attention seeking and infuriating pedantry. DNP, Jeff Mayhew, Paul Ward, Jo Wells, Rob Del Pino, Dom (what the hell was his surname) did everything they could to tolerate and encourage me, even when my project/s were clearly not syllabus prescribed. Duncan as we all know, lives in some wing of a Castle and I'd say he god dam deserves it (helps if your wifes a doctor obviously), he's still good enough to oblige me with a reply if I write to him, and I'd encourage anyone to do the same. I remember his last sermon in chapel, which was called "The Cuckoo" in which he encouraged pupils to be independant, not cry wolf and not userp others or their hard work (At least I think that was the jist, I had to listen to the chap several times every week in tutorials and classes, it was inevitable i tuned out in Chapel-the most uncomfortable of all CH's places to listen to people). One of my favourite memories is asking him for a title for my first play because my mind had gone blank (The senior school was in a spate of pupils writing their own short plays), he looked at me and he said "Reveal!"
I still live in Shellys wood.
greg
3rd Former

Re: Duncan Noel-Paton [FOUND]

Post by greg »

DNP - there's a blast from the past. I had forgotten all about that imaginary ice cube (designed for rapid chest thrusting no doubt, and therefore not totally pointless :) ).

In all fairness I was an abysmal actor, and so spent five years as a techie. DNP was a very interesting man to light a show for(Romeo and Juliet starring Emily Compton and Nick Someone (?)) or do sound for (Hired Man). I remember sitting in the lighting both with DNP sat next to me programming the preset lighting sequences, and DNP pulled off an oscar winning role of "Emotional Director". Whilst waiting for the next set of lights to come up he would very dramatically put his arm on the desk and bury his head in his arm saying words along the lines of "Waiting, waiting, don't let me look until the effect is complete etc etc". I just have this everlasting memory that having almost having had a heart attack over the first six effects that I showed him as they were totally unacceptable, his face would light up and he would cry "perfect, just perfect, at last" - nine times out of ten it would invaribly be the first combination that I showed him! I have to say it was great fun, and the life experience gained working in that theatre has stood me in good stead in the years since I left.

Interestingly, I once asked him why he taught drama, and he told me that he had originally been an English teacher but that when he staged a play with the English department more people commentated on it than on the grades his students achieved, and so he decided to become a full time drama teacher. Perhaps the greatest lesson he taught me, that I try to apply to every situation I find myself in (and its not Eyes, Teeth, T*ts!), is whatever you do just do it in style!

As an aside, although he was a truely excellent director, he didn't direct either of the two plays which I thought were the best that I saw in my time there which were Amadeus which was directed by Dick West, and the Thorn A House Play, the name of which I forget, but which was written and directed by a student (Hagar?) and in the end had Hammer as the bad guy. That was pure gold.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I remember watching Amadeus as a squit and I remember David Newell doing a sterling performance as the other composer whose name escapes me... it was a fanatasic play!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Great Plum wrote:I remember watching Amadeus as a squit and I remember David Newell doing a sterling performance as the other composer whose name escapes me... it was a fanatasic play!
Salieri :)
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

greg wrote: I remember sitting in the lighting both with DNP sat next to me programming the preset lighting sequences, and DNP pulled off an oscar winning role of "Emotional Director". Whilst waiting for the next set of lights to come up he would very dramatically put his arm on the desk and bury his head in his arm saying words along the lines of "Waiting, waiting, don't let me look until the effect is complete etc etc". I just have this everlasting memory that having almost having had a heart attack over the first six effects that I showed him as they were totally unacceptable, his face would light up and he would cry "perfect, just perfect, at last" - nine times out of ten it would invaribly be the first combination that I showed him! "
Those lighting sessions were always legendary, one of the reasons i avoided doing any lighting and stuck to stage management.
Barnes B / Mid A
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

adlop wrote: Those lighting sessions were always legendary, one of the reasons i avoided doing any lighting and stuck to stage management.
Legendary? I'll take your word for that; I would use the phrase "potentially terminal" instead.

I still remember doing the lighting for Pirates of Penzance in the Prep Hall one summer. It was hot outside, the chorus was weak so the stage crew had to lean over to add our voices. Unfortunately I was behind and leaning over a large bank of very hot resistors and pouring perspiration with all the heat (and no ventilation). From time to time there would be a sizzle from under my belly; how I didn't get electrocuted I don't know.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Just spent some time going back through this thread.

I believe the large castle type house mentioned in places is Holmbush House at Faygate which is just off the dual carriageway from Horsham to Crawley.

I'm sure Plum would be able to confirm this. Lovely oldie worldly pub near by as well.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Straz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Straz »

Funky Dunky?
I was third cavalryman on the left in what I believe was DNP's first CH production, 'Indians'.
Performed before the Theatre was completed (1972?), the play was presented in Big School.
I remember Julian Garner (now a playwright) putting in a sterling performance in the lead role of Buffalo Bill Cody.
I also remember that the production featured a number of girls from Horsham High School. This was quite a first for CH, and gave a certain frisson to proceedings.
DNP was terrific, a bundle of energy, inspirational and encouraging to all concerned in rehearsals. I have many happy memories of this production and the after-show party.
Once the theatre was completed, I had some drama lessons with DNP (circa 73/74).
I recall that these included using the school's very first DVD camera and recorder. I probably came over as a complete berk on screen, but again DNP was very encouraging.
A fine teacher, I certainly enjoyed DNP's lessons. And I have a very soft spot for 'Indians'.
Paul Strange
Leigh Hunt A 1969-71
Peele A 71-75
charlesr
2nd Former

Post by charlesr »

Straz wrote:Funky Dunky?
I was third cavalryman on the left in what I believe was DNP's first CH production, 'Indians'.
A cavalryman? I was an 'Indian' and died in the frozen wastes as I recall.

It was doubtless a shock to the CH system to have a cast so large and on a relatively controversial subject.

Sent from my SGP611 using Tapatalk

Charles Rogers (LHA 67-70; ThB 70-75)