WHAYMAN, Brian and Barbara

Post requests for information about people you've lost touch with, and would like to contact again.

Moderator: Moderators

Rosie
2nd Former

WHAYMAN, Brian and Barbara

Post by Rosie »

I am researching my family history and have just found this site. My cousin, Barbara Joan WHAYMAN, attended the Hertford School from 1927 until 1933. She later came to Australia. Her brother Brian was 2 years older so would have attended in the 1920s at Horsham. I have old photograph albums from these years. I would like to find out how I can discover any information about their school years. Brian was in the Territorial Army during WWII but died as a result of bombing at Beckenham in 1941, along with his mother, elder sister and aunt.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: WHAYMAN, Brian and Barbara

Post by Mid A 15 »

Rosie wrote:I am researching my family history and have just found this site. My cousin, Barbara Joan WHAYMAN, attended the Hertford School from 1927 until 1933. She later came to Australia. Her brother Brian was 2 years older so would have attended in the 1920s at Horsham. I have old photograph albums from these years. I would like to find out how I can discover any information about their school years. Brian was in the Territorial Army during WWII but died as a result of bombing at Beckenham in 1941, along with his mother, elder sister and aunt.
The School magazine is called "The Blue" and has been published since the 19th Century.

There is an archive of old issues I believe at Horsham but I'm not sure how accessible this is. This might be helpful re Brian as it covers all forms of activity such as sport, music etc and also has "House" notes in it. Do you know what house Brian was in?

There also used to be an alphabetical list of pupils produced each year for Horsham in the sixties when I was there. They may have produced one in the twenties too and there may be an archive.

Horsham also used to produce a School calendar. Again if an archive exists you may get some idea of what he got up to.

I'm unsure as to what the situation would be re Hertford back then.

Hopefully Kerren or one of the others may have some suggestions for you.

Good luck!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Rosie
2nd Former

Post by Rosie »

Thanks Andy. Can I email Kerren with a query?
Looking for information on Brian Maurice WHAYMAN and Barbara Joan WHAYMAN who attended Christ's Hospital in the 1920s and early 1930s.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Rosie wrote:Thanks Andy. Can I email Kerren with a query?
You can send her a personal message via your message board at the top of every page.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Rosie wrote:Thanks Andy. Can I email Kerren with a query?
Yes, as JR says there is a facility to send private messages (PMs).

Kerren's user name is kerrensimmonds and that is to whom you should address the PM.

I hope she can help you or point you in an alternative direction if not.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

(topic moved to "Looking for...." section, for better visibility.

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Foureyes
Grecian

WHAYMAN

Post by Foureyes »

Rosie,
You may already have found this, but in case you haven't the details of the death of Brian Maurice Whayman (who I presume to be your cousin) are on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site.
Go to Google and type in CWGC. Enter that site and go to "Search our records." After that it is simply a matter of the name, World War 2 and Army. Having read the first page, click on the name, and that will give you more details.
Hope this helps,
David :shock:
Foureyes
Grecian

B M WHAYMAN

Post by Foureyes »

Further to my previous posting, I have noticed that B.M. Whayman is on the World War Two War memorial at Christ's Hospital, giving his years at the school as 1924 to 1931.

I have done some research into Old Blues recently. The school magazine is "The Blue" which at that period did not carry illustrations. It is possible to glean a little from the House Notes, but generally speaking unless a boy was very good at something, particularly sport, few individuals are mentioned by name. However, one good source of biographical material are the obituaries of those who died in the war.

The lady who, among many other tasks, looks after the library of back numbers of The Blue is Wendy Killner. I suggest that you e-mail her at administrator@chassociation.org explain who you are and ask her whether she would be so hkind as to look in the Blues for June 1942 to June 1943 to see whether there is an obituary of your cousin.

There is also an Old Blue named Rex Sweeny who has an encyclopedic knowledge of the school and its old boys/girls. You could try him on
rex@waitrose.com

Hope this helps,
Rosie
2nd Former

Re: WHAYMAN

Post by Rosie »

Foureyes wrote:Rosie,
You may already have found this, but in case you haven't the details of the death of Brian Maurice Whayman (who I presume to be your cousin) are on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site.
Go to Google and type in CWGC. Enter that site and go to "Search our records." After that it is simply a matter of the name, World War 2 and Army. Having read the first page, click on the name, and that will give you more details.
Hope this helps,
Thanks David, yes I have found him on this site before. He was my first cousin once removed. I have photographs of him in his blue coat and also of him leading the parade one year.
Cheers, Rosie
Looking for information on Brian Maurice WHAYMAN and Barbara Joan WHAYMAN who attended Christ's Hospital in the 1920s and early 1930s.
Rosie
2nd Former

Re: B M WHAYMAN

Post by Rosie »

Foureyes wrote:Further to my previous posting, I have noticed that B.M. Whayman is on the World War Two War memorial at Christ's Hospital, giving his years at the school as 1924 to 1931.

I have done some research into Old Blues recently. The school magazine is "The Blue" which at that period did not carry illustrations. It is possible to glean a little from the House Notes, but generally speaking unless a boy was very good at something, particularly sport, few individuals are mentioned by name. However, one good source of biographical material are the obituaries of those who died in the war.

The lady who, among many other tasks, looks after the library of back numbers of The Blue is Wendy Killner. I suggest that you e-mail her at administrator@chassociation.org explain who you are and ask her whether she would be so hkind as to look in the Blues for June 1942 to June 1943 to see whether there is an obituary of your cousin.

There is also an Old Blue named Rex Sweeny who has an encyclopedic knowledge of the school and its old boys/girls. You could try him on
rex@waitrose.com

Hope this helps,
Once again, thank you David. I will certainly give these two contacts a try.
Rosie