R.N. Chadwick. (Middleton B) [STILL LOOKING...]

Post requests for information about people you've lost touch with, and would like to contact again.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

R.N. Chadwick. (Middleton B) [STILL LOOKING...]

Post by J.R. »

Just thought I'd give this forum a try....

Robert Nicholas Chadwick, (Bob).

Middleton B from around 1960 to 1965.

He came from Richmond, Surrey, and on leaving school worked for a large paint manufacturer based between Richmond and Kingston-Upon-Thames. (the company name escapes me.) It was based almost opposite where the Hawker-Siddley factory was in Sheen. He later became a steward for B.O.A.C, (then BA), working his way up to purser on 747 long-haul.

We stayed close friends until his marriage to a BA stewardess around 1974 when they bought a flat in Sheen and we lost touch.

Anybody got any clues ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Any new punters on here who could help ?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: R.N. Chadwick. (Middleton B) [STILL LOOKING...]

Post by J.R. »

Still no luck, I'm afraid, but I have a funny feeling the paint firm he worked for MAY have been part of the Manders firm.

It was immediately opposite the huge but now defunt Hawker-Siddeley aero works in sheen between Richmond and Kingston Upon Thames..
kittykat
3rd Former

Post by kittykat »

I stumbled upon this and whilst I have no knowledge of your friend I am very local to the area that you are describing.

Hawker Siddley (the became BA and now a modern housing estate) was on the Richmond Road in Ham (the postal address may well have been Kingston, as the boundaries between the boroughs have changed a bit) between Richmond and Kingston.

Should you wish to know the name of the plant where your friend worked I can ask some of the more 'senior members of the parish', as it were. Now, the place where it would have been would be either Kingston Fire Station (locally known as Ham Fire Station) and a Nikon building.

Hope that helps in some small way! :)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

If you could find out that would be great. Now you mention the fire station, you are correct. The paint firm was immediately to the right of the fire station as you looked in from the road, with HS on the opposite side.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Just thought I'd bring this one to the front again !
kittykat
3rd Former

Post by kittykat »

I finally found out some more details about the paint plant:

"Pinchin Johnson & Associates Ltd. was a major supplier of paints for a large range of end-users during the first half of the 20th century. The company was part of the original FT 30 index.

History - The business was founded in 1834 as a producer of oils and turpentines in Silvertown in London. It grew by acquisition buying up competitors such as Red Hand and Docker Brothers. It had larger operations in Europe, Australia, New Zealand and India and smaller operations in the United States of America, Nigeria and the Far East.
Demise of the business

In 1960 it was acquired by Courtaulds who in 1968 went about merging it with the International Paints business which they had acquired earlier in the year.

In late 1980 the Kingston Factory and Offices closed. The site was redeveloped soon after and is now the Head Quarters on Nikon UK"

It was located at 380 Richmond Road, Kingston, Surrey.

There's a Facebook group called 'International Pinchin Johnson (International Paint)', which has some photos and perhaps someone there might be able to help you further.

Hope that helps! :)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

kittykat wrote:I finally found out some more details about the paint plant:

"Pinchin Johnson & Associates Ltd. was a major supplier of paints for a large range of end-users during the first half of the 20th century. The company was part of the original FT 30 index.

History - The business was founded in 1834 as a producer of oils and turpentines in Silvertown in London. It grew by acquisition buying up competitors such as Red Hand and Docker Brothers. It had larger operations in Europe, Australia, New Zealand and India and smaller operations in the United States of America, Nigeria and the Far East.
Demise of the business

In 1960 it was acquired by Courtaulds who in 1968 went about merging it with the International Paints business which they had acquired earlier in the year.

In late 1980 the Kingston Factory and Offices closed. The site was redeveloped soon after and is now the Head Quarters on Nikon UK"

It was located at 380 Richmond Road, Kingston, Surrey.

There's a Facebook group called 'International Pinchin Johnson (International Paint)', which has some photos and perhaps someone there might be able to help you further.

Hope that helps! :)

Many thanks KK. I'll certainly get Jan to troll through Facebook as she is a regular user of the site.

He and his family, (Mother etc), seem to have disappeared completely.
Brusselsprout
2nd Former

Post by Brusselsprout »

Hi John,

Are you still looking?
I think i MAY have found him, via sessions with 192.com & using findmypast.
Go to Facebook and look up Holly Chadwick in Cheltenham. Then look at 2 photos she has posted of her parents.
50 years is a long time but I knew Robert (rat) Chadwick well & i think thats him???
Easier if you contact me directly at (deleted for security reasons. J.R. Moderator) for more details of my 'research'

Regards

Patrick
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Very many thanks Pat.

That is him and I have replied by e-mail.

J.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Brusselsprout wrote:Hi John,

Are you still looking?
I think i MAY have found him, via sessions with 192.com & using findmypast.
Go to Facebook and look up Holly Chadwick in Cheltenham. Then look at 2 photos she has posted of her parents.
50 years is a long time but I knew Robert (rat) Chadwick well & i think thats him???
Easier if you contact me directly at for more details of my 'research'

Regards

Patrick
Entirely up to you of course but you might wish to remove your email address now that John has seen it as anybody (not just CH Forum Members) can see it at present.

EDIT: I have removed it from this quote.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Good thinking.

As Moderator, I have deleted Pat's e-mail address.

Anyone who wishes to contact Pat via e-mail can do so through his profile on this site.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Just for those that have been helping me look for Rob, thanks to Pat and my wifes 'Miss Marple' approach, I have ascertained that Robs daughter, Holly, lives in Cheltenham. Unfortunately, to date, she hasn't responded to tweets and Facebook messages etc.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

After several weeks/months, years, dare I say. I'm pleased to say that I heard from Holly today, who is going to put me in touch with Rob.

It just shows it pays to be persistent.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

R.N. Chadwick and myself are now back in touch with each other !