Christopher "Bomber" Nicholson [FOUND]

Post requests for information about people you've lost touch with, and would like to contact again.

Moderator: Moderators

paddy
3rd Former

Christopher "Bomber" Nicholson [FOUND]

Post by paddy »

Anyone know if he is still going strong somewhere? I think he was my favourite teacher at CH - a real inspiration. Good old "Bomber Nick" :)
Rex
GE (Great Erasmus)

Christopher "Bomber" Nicholson

Post by Rex »

Happy to say CWN is quite undiminished and still running amok in Bedford, where he was Master of the Middle School at Bedford Modern until 1998.

When he retired they brought out a small book, A Tribute to Christopher Nicholson, filled with typical tales. Contributors included David Newsome, Michael Carrington, Bob Hailey, Andrew Husband, Stan Malone, Peter Webb and John Shippen. Essential reading...
paddy
3rd Former

Re: Christopher "Bomber" Nicholson

Post by paddy »

Rex wrote:Happy to say CWN is quite undiminished and still running amok in Bedford, where he was Master of the Middle School at Bedford Modern until 1998.

When he retired they brought out a small book, A Tribute to Christopher Nicholson, filled with typical tales. Contributors included David Newsome, Michael Carrington, Bob Hailey, Andrew Husband, Stan Malone, Peter Webb and John Shippen. Essential reading...
... though not, presumably, available at amazon.com... :)
Rex
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Christopher "Bomber" Nicholson

Post by Rex »

No, alas, but I'd be happy to lend my copy if you'd like - just let me know where to send it.
Last edited by Rex on Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
paddy
3rd Former

Post by paddy »

Oh goodness - that's too kind. I don't think, however, that I can be trusted not to forget to send it back. I'm a bit of a dope when it comes to things like that. Procrastination is the name of the game. Hmm - but I *would* like to read it. Let me ponder... and in the meantime, thankyou very much for the offer.
loringa
Deputy Grecian

CWN

Post by loringa »

In or around 1998, CWN was featured on Radio 4 on a series entitled (something like) 'The Nation's Best Teachers.' I think the lesson they recorded was produced especially for the show but absolutely nothing in his style and enthusiasm had changed since he taught me second form mathematics in 1973/4. Twenty five years after the only time that he taught me, I realised that the instructional style to which I aspire is based, in a large part, on his.

I think the series featured at least one other CH master; was it 'Rat' James, former head of Chemistry and one-time RAF fast jet pilot?
paddy
3rd Former

Post by paddy »

Ah - Rattie James! He wrote a proper chemistry text book, if memory serves? Didn't know about the RAF business though. He was reputed to have blown out some/all of the windows of the chemistry lab with an ill-adviced demonstration of the amusing combustion properties of hydrogen. Is that totally apocryphal?