St matthews day and Mid B 1972

Post any pictures of your time at CH, or pictures of people/places at CH now - what's changed over the past years? What's good/what's bad?

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Mid A 15
Button Grecian
Posts: 2925
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 1:38 pm
Real Name: Claude Rains
Location: The Patio Of England (Kent)

Post by Mid A 15 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:47 pm

AKAP wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote: Mc Connell's son 4 along from Dave Agnew back row and "Bogie" Fryer's son ?extreme left back row.

Michael Powell seated exteme left (not a master's son just another spot.)

Roddy Powell next to Dave Agnew Shearing next to him. Graham Lister tall chap next to HPH.

It's strange how the names come back the longer you look at the picture.
Bert McConnell and Tim Fryer.
It's a bit worrying how you remember all this when it wasn't your house.

The only identification you've given I'm not sure about is the boy next to Rod Powell. I'm not sure but I think his name was Knaggs not Shearing.
For some in the photo I can hear them speaking but can't remember a name.
I've been told I should have been a copper as for some reason I can remember names and faces particularly if I've spoken to them previously.

It's been useful recently with assisting compiling a history of my old rugby club. I've identified quite a few in old photos.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72

AndrewH
GE (Great Erasmus)
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:40 pm
Real Name: Andrew Harrison
Location: Cardiff
Contact:

Post by AndrewH » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:37 pm

AKAP wrote:Paddy McDaid was the older brother.
Des Lockyer and Adrian Gray would be in there.
Interestingly I thought Rex and myself overlapped but he thought we didn't, the photo may prove otherwise.
I will be interested to hear his comments.
Rex was a year ahead of me in Maine A, so would have moved on in the summer of '72
Andrew Harrison
Maine A 1970-73
Lamb A 1973-77

AKAP
Grecian
Posts: 564
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:36 pm
Real Name: Andrew Palmer
Location: Northumberland

Post by AKAP » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:59 pm

I'll do my best with the names in the house photo, perhaps others can fill in the many blanks.
Starting back row left as the camera looks at the picture.

Tim Fryer,Paul Lewis, Howard Holdsworth, Graham Lister, Michael Roberts, Iain Pullinger, Bert McConnell,John Moore, Geoff Searing, Rod Powell,David Agnew,Tim Skinner.

Des Lockyer,Colin Berkeley, Tim Alderson,,Ali Burns,Stephen Ellis, Bill Evans,Chris Harrison,Peter Hayes, Dave Hughes, Nick Houghton-Brown, Martin Land,Paddy McDaid, Andrew Wood, John Sealtiel, Nigel Thomas

Michael Powell,Richard Midwinter,Roger Lane,Ian Bartholomew, Glyn James,Gerald Davies, Jessie Rawson,Harry Spurrier,Keith Stratton, Jimmy Chuang,Howard Hull,Steve Clarke,Michael Burns,Andrew Palmer.

Paul Dunwoody, Ray Chatlani, Chris Baker,Mick McDaid, Mark Burgess, Philip Coad,Adrian Gray,Matthew Scott-Hawksley,Nick Rawlings, Rupert Lane, Keith Searing, Trevor Moore, Jon Steyn.

I'll edit this if people ID any more.
Perhaps HH will help.
No offence to anyone I've forgotten I hope.
Last edited by AKAP on Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:43 pm, edited 10 times in total.

User avatar
Mid A 15
Button Grecian
Posts: 2925
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 1:38 pm
Real Name: Claude Rains
Location: The Patio Of England (Kent)

Post by Mid A 15 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:54 pm

AKAP wrote:I'll do my best with the names in the house photo, perhaps others can fill in the many blanks.
Starting back row left as the camera looks at the picture.

Tim Fryer,?, HH, Graham Lister, Michael Roberts,?, Bert Mconnell,John More,Knaggs, Rod Powell,David Agnew,Tim Skinner.

?,?,?,Burns (Michaels younger brother),?,?,?,?,Hughes,?,?,Paddy McDaid, Andrew (became senior grecian),?,?

Michael Powell,Richard Midwinter,Roger Lane,Ian Bartholomew,Ratty James,Gerald Davies,matron,Harry Spurrier,Keith Stratton,?,Howard Hull,Steve Clark,Michael Burns,Andrew Palmer.

Only ID I can give in front row is Paddy McDaid's younger brother 4th from left.

I'll edit this if people ID any more.
Perhaps HH will help.
No offence to anyone I've forgotten I hope.
Land is on Paddy Mc Daid's right. He spent a lot of time visiting friends in Mid A. The tallish dark haired chap next but one on Paddy's left is Sealtiel (?spelling) I think who played a bit of cricket so HH might confirm! The unidentified bloke in the front row next to Keith Stratton (who was also a housemaster in Mid A) is puzzling. Only name that comes to mind is Fallows who also played a bit of cricket but I thought he left the year before. The chap between Michael Roberts and McConnell is Pullinger I believe.

Michael Roberts sadly passed away a few years ago. There was an obituary in The Blue.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72

AKAP
Grecian
Posts: 564
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:36 pm
Real Name: Andrew Palmer
Location: Northumberland

Post by AKAP » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:42 pm

Mid A 15 wrote:The unidentified bloke in the front row next to Keith Stratton (who was also a housemaster in Mid A) is puzzling. Only name that comes to mind is Fallows who also played a bit of cricket but I thought he left the year before. The chap between Michael Roberts and McConnell is Pullinger I believe.

Michael Roberts sadly passed away a few years ago. There was an obituary in The Blue.
I read Michaels obit, all very sad.

The boy next to Mr Statton had a Chinese name and went on to study medicine but I can't remember his name.

Pullinger I now recognise but I'm not sure about the other suggestions.

User avatar
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian
Posts: 3120
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:08 pm
Real Name: Richard Ruck
Location: Horsham

Post by Richard Ruck » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:23 am

A couple of missing first names : Ali Burns and Mick McDaid.

There were two McDaids in Barnes A when I joined in 1972 as a third form squit. Frank McDaid was a year above me, and Pete McDaid was on the second form, so four brothers overlapped at C.H. Frank went up to Mid.B, and Pete to Col.B.

I think Roger Highfield (now Science Editor at the Daily Telegraph) is in the front row, sitting in front of Harry Spurrier. My memory isn't 100% on this, though.

I'm sure that Rex would be able to supply a lot of these names.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?

User avatar
sport!
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 265
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:45 am
Location: West Sussex

Post by sport! » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:04 pm

A later one of Pete in Col B is on here:

viewtopic.php?t=508

2nd picture down, top row, 3rd along
BaB, ColB 1973-80

Maureen Connor
2nd Former
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:38 pm
Real Name: Maureen Connor
Location: Weymouth, Dorset

Post by Maureen Connor » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:38 am

I was at Hertford at the time this photo was taken, but it caught my interest because had my brother stayed at CH a bit longer he would have been in it. He was/is Steven Connor. I'm quite good with names and faces (teacher) and impressed myself by being able to identify Graham Lister in the back row as a contemporary of Steve's. Does anyone remember him?

HowardH
GE (Great Erasmus)
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:38 pm
Real Name: Howard Holdsworth
Location: Horsham

Post by HowardH » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:18 am

Yes I do, Maureen. I saw Graham briefly about 12 years ago at C.H. My fondest memory is that his folks had a Great Dane when I was at school.
How did life turn out for Steve - apart from writing books?

HowardH
GE (Great Erasmus)
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:38 pm
Real Name: Howard Holdsworth
Location: Horsham

Post by HowardH » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:26 am

Now that I have finally got round to this photo....

A few more names :

2nd Row 7th from left : Chris Harrison works for Ernst Young
8th from left : Pete Hayes (lost some toes in Alaska!)
12th from left : Martin Land (how did he never make it in politics?)

I'll keep scouring the depths of my memory.

Maureen Connor
2nd Former
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:38 pm
Real Name: Maureen Connor
Location: Weymouth, Dorset

Post by Maureen Connor » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:02 am

Thanks Howard H for asking after Steve.He's Professor of English at Birkbeck, also Academic Director for London Consortium, so quite prominent in his field. He leaves all the archive stuff to his little sister, but I might persuade him to sign up!

AKAP
Grecian
Posts: 564
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:36 pm
Real Name: Andrew Palmer
Location: Northumberland

Post by AKAP » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:07 am

Hello Maureen
I didn't realise you were Steve's brother. I remember Steve well but can't remember him leaving early. He was a good friend of Graham's (thought of Graham the other day, as his uncle was Peter Osgood, who's death at a family funeral hit the newspapers recently.)
Steve introduced us to chip butties (we had never thought of putting chips in a snadwich before.)
Did look Steve up on the web the other month, I was very puzzled abouth phenomics (or however you spell his speciality area.)
I'm sure more memories will come back with time. Must edit the list of names with Howard's update.

AKAP
Grecian
Posts: 564
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:36 pm
Real Name: Andrew Palmer
Location: Northumberland

Post by AKAP » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:15 am

Howard thanks for putting Peter Hayes' name in. I have looked and looked at the photo, I could hear his voice (still can) but couldn't remember a name.

User avatar
englishangel
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6955
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:22 pm
Real Name: Mary Faulkner (Vincett)
Location: Amersham, Buckinghamshire

Post by englishangel » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:31 am

AKAP wrote:Hello Maureen
I didn't realise you were Steve's brother. I remember Steve well but can't remember him leaving early. He was a good friend of Graham's (thought of Graham the other day, as his uncle was Peter Osgood, who's death at a family funeral hit the newspapers recently.)
Steve introduced us to chip butties (we had never thought of putting chips in a snadwich before.)
Did look Steve up on the web the other month, I was very puzzled abouth phenomics (or however you spell his speciality area.)
I'm sure more memories will come back with time. Must edit the list of names with Howard's update.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"

AKAP
Grecian
Posts: 564
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:36 pm
Real Name: Andrew Palmer
Location: Northumberland

Post by AKAP » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:06 pm

englishangel wrote:
AKAP wrote:Hello Maureen
I didn't realise you were Steve's brother. I remember Steve well but can't remember him leaving early. He was a good friend of Graham's (thought of Graham the other day, as his uncle was Peter Osgood, who's death at a family funeral hit the newspapers recently.)
Steve introduced us to chip butties (we had never thought of putting chips in a snadwich before.)
Did look Steve up on the web the other month, I was very puzzled abouth phenomics (or however you spell his speciality area.)
I'm sure more memories will come back with time. Must edit the list of names with Howard's update.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Oh dear!!!
I didn't realise that Steve was your brother.
(You must realise we went to an all boys school, we didn't know there was such a thing as girls.) :roll:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest