Work experience wanted... [SUCCESS!]

Looking for a job? Want a work experience placement?
Find jobs advertised by Old Blues.
Post a "JOB WANTED" advert.
Advertise your jobs to other Old Blues.
Please delete your ads once expired - all post will be removed after 60 days....

Moderator: Moderators

Mark1
GE (Great Erasmus)

Work experience wanted... [SUCCESS!]

Post by Mark1 »

Hmmm...
It has always bugged me that CH do so little to help pupils do work experience (unlike most state schools). I mean, of course it is more difficult, since people come all over the UK, but still, it could be encouraged...

Anyway, am on deps, london-based, and keen to do work experience with anything to do with law/economics/politics, even if only for a few days, at some point in the summer...

Any suggestions/offers/ideas :?:
:?
Alex S-B
2nd Former

Post by Alex S-B »

Hi Mark,

I might be able to fix you up something at the Economist Intelligence Unit (sister company of the Economist magazine). Let me know if you're interested.

Cheers,

Alex
Mark1
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Mark1 »

Thanks Alex, see PM reply.

Mark
jamiewalkerMaineA
2nd Former

Post by jamiewalkerMaineA »

hi mark, u written my article on your exchange for the blue yet?
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

If you have success finding something, then do please post and tell us.
Would be good if the forum can be used for this type of thing.

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Mark1
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Mark1 »

Well, I was definitely successful in my search! Thanks to Alex S-B, I spent a week in the EIU, a economic forecasting/analyzing company, exactly what I was looking for, and learnt a lot about it. Definitely a successful use of the forum in enabling old Blues to help current Blues!

I really feel like this sort of connection is to be encouraged, and I want to try to change the official CH mentality to work experience (to actually make an effort to encourage it). I'm not quite sure how this will work, but ideally I would envisage some sort of email database of Old Blue contacts who are willing to advice and make opportunities for current pupils who are looking toward their specific career paths. Obviously this could only happen with the complete support of the Old Blue community, a fair few of whom are represented here, so if you are reading this, please give me your initial opinions/criticisms. :D
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Mark, the whole careers network is being looked at again by the C.H.A. at the moment. It has been recognised that it needs completely revitalising.

The database issue is being examined by the C.H.A. office (perhaps even as I'm typing this), and we're looking to start making progress soon.

It will inevitably take quite a while to reach the stage where the whole thing is functioning as we'd all like to see, but please be assured that this is a priority matter.

We would also hope to talk to the school to try to ensure that the CH careers service and the Old Blues careers network can work together to everybody's benefit.

Also, it would be good if more people used the forum for this sort of thing. It can be very useful, as your experience has demonstrated.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Mark1
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Mark1 »

Thanks Richard, that really is good news for future pupils... Also good to know that minds are thinking alike on the issue - that it's not just me not liking present arrangements...