Medical Work experience?!

Looking for a job? Want a work experience placement?
Find jobs advertised by Old Blues.
Post a "JOB WANTED" advert.
Advertise your jobs to other Old Blues.
Please delete your ads once expired - all post will be removed after 60 days....

Moderator: Moderators

Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Re: Medical Work experience?!

Post by Mrs C. »

same here, Midget , which is why I used to volunteer in a local charity shop until CH work took up my free time.
You`re quite right about people being mean - we had complete rubbish "donated" (including dirty underwear!) , people asking for discount..and theft galore.

Many pupils also go into charity shops as volunteers.
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
LittleLamperouge
2nd Former

Post by LittleLamperouge »

Going by what's been said - I actually think working in a hospice could really suit me. If I go into medicine, I'm going to have to deal with the fact that I won't save all my patients, and that's a concept I need to get used to. Working in a hospice, whilst most likely quite painful for me who feels things quite deeply, I reckon could be quite the reality check. If I can't hack working there - at least I know becoming a doctor is most likely not a good idea.
If nothing else, it certainly would be an experience.
Post mortems? I never thought of that actually. But I have no idea how to find out about that/know nothing about it...

But thank you so much for your help and advice everyone! Seriously.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

LittleLamperouge wrote:Going by what's been said - I actually think working in a hospice could really suit me. If I go into medicine, I'm going to have to deal with the fact that I won't save all my patients, and that's a concept I need to get used to. Working in a hospice, whilst most likely quite painful for me who feels things quite deeply, I reckon could be quite the reality check. If I can't hack working there - at least I know becoming a doctor is most likely not a good idea.
If nothing else, it certainly would be an experience.
Post mortems ? I never thought of that actually. But I have no idea how to find out about that/know nothing about it...

But thank you so much for your help and advice everyone! Seriously.

Witnessing your first is definitely the worst !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

J.R. wrote:
Witnessing your first is definitely the worst !

I agree JR. My first was a young boy (11 I think) who had been diagnosed and died from leukaemia within a matter of weeks, over the Christmas/new Year holidays. Even though I was a bit 'out of body' (much like when I have to speak in public), I will never, ever forget it.