St Matthews Day

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

I think he's loving it Julian! He has been wanting to go for at least two years although just before term started there was a problem (girl related) that caused him a lot of angst. (A week before term started I thought we might never get him there!)

He seems immensely proud of the school and loves the uniform! (He wants to know if he will be allowed to wear it on the plane when he comes home at half term!!)

He has joined the choir and orchestra and read the lesson in chapel at the Taizé service in Chapel. He is looking forward to learning to shoot in the naval section of the CCF. Above all, he seems to be relating well to his fellow students. Though very beautiful, our little village in Cornwall is bereft of youngsters of his age and communications with the outside world virtually ceases at around 5:00 pm. His social life here was almost non-existent and CH has given him something that he desperately needed in this respect.

As I was typing this, a letter from the school has just dropped through the letter box with his first grades. These look very satisfactory and would seem to indicate that his work is not suffering from any pangs of homesickness.

Oh! ... and he told me on the phone last night that he has chosen Dr Wines as his tutor. Though Jonathan is mainly science and maths orientated, he loves his AS history lessons and feels that his vocabulary is expanding by the day!
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Dr wines is a bit of a legend - I had him for Medieval History...

As for the weather in London, well it's already spitting here in Dorking at just after 9am...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

A legend ........??
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Well, he was known as BooBoo as he spoke like Yogi Bear (he's from the US teaching medieval history - I know, strange) but he also runs the Club and is very laid back... especially as we only had 4 in our Med Hist class...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Great Plum wrote:Well, he was known as BooBoo as he spoke like Yogi Bear (he's from the US teaching medieval history - I know, strange) but he also runs the Club and is very laid back... especially as we only had 4 in our Med Hist class...
Smarter than the average bear, then Plum ?

It won't be spitting in The Bulls Head at Lunch time !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Photos and videos from Janet (?forum user name?) are here:-
viewtopic.php?t=706

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Apologies for the poor quality of the pics - my father and I are not the best photographers!!
I expected Julian to post just a couple of the better ones - not all !!
Never mind!
stpandp
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by stpandp »

http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/stpandp@btinternet.com has a few extra St Matthew day pictures (Rock School related - hence the extra ones) - Fiona's my daughter and is now in the UF