School for scandal or scandal school

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Richard,

any advice gratefully received! Posting a message successfully is an achievement for a technophobe like me.

You must be telepathic because I actually logged on to say that I remember hearing of a master dying in allegedly mysterious circumstances a year or two after I left. That would have been during your time and I logged on to ask if you recalled it.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Scandal

Post by englishangel »

We did have a gardener who was very interested in 'cherries' and pot plants. Both at the same time I understand.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Re: Scandal

Post by Richard Ruck »

englishangel wrote:We did have a gardener who was very interested in 'cherries' and pot plants. Both at the same time I understand.
We just had uphill gardeners.

Sorry, I'll get my coat.....
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Mid A 15 wrote:Richard,

any advice gratefully received! Posting a message successfully is an achievement for a technophobe like me.

You must be telepathic because I actually logged on to say that I remember hearing of a master dying in allegedly mysterious circumstances a year or two after I left. That would have been during your time and I logged on to ask if you recalled it.
If you click on the quote button it will copy all the text from the post from which you wish to quote.

Then you can edit /delete any of the selected text accordingly. Just remember to leave the square brackets and their contents at either end of the quote unmolested, and you'll have a quoted passage underneath which you can add your own comments.

Re. the 'mysterious' death, the only one which sounds likely is that of John Smith, the head of classics, who, I think, drowned himself in a bath in the infirmary, having been admitted suffering from severe depression.

I've really no idea what were the root causes of this depression, but the eulogy delivered in chapel by Revd. Ian Atkinson implied some sense of inadequacy, and of having let people down (this eulogy was reproduced in The Blue).

All very sad.......

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Richard Ruck wrote:

If you click on the quote button it will copy all the text from the post from which you wish to quote.

Then you can edit /delete any of the selected text accordingly. Just remember to leave the square brackets and their contents at either end of the quote unmolested, and you'll have a quoted passage underneath which you can add your own comments.

Re. the 'mysterious' death, the only one which sounds likely is that of John Smith, the head of classics, who, I think, drowned himself in a bath in the infirmary, having been admitted suffering from severe depression.

I've really no idea what were the root causes of this depression, but the eulogy delivered in chapel by Revd. Ian Atkinson implied some sense of inadequacy, and of having let people down (this eulogy was reproduced in The Blue).

All very sad.......

Yes very sad indeed. A good friend of mine read Classics at Oxford thanks largely to John Smith's teaching.

How tragic that, from what you say, his sense of self worth appeared to differ so much from his true worth to others. That is the evil of depression though. It erodes people's self esteem.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Re: scandal

Post by Euterpe13 »

englishangel wrote:
Word was that a couple of the staff were gay but one of them taught me for years and I think it was a load of nonsense myself.

We also had a maths teacher still lived with his mother. The A'Level maths group had hours of innocent fun 'Sharon Stoning' him. He was a redhead which meant he blushed terribly.

There was a catfight in the playground one night when the games mistress accused a Sixth Former of stealing her boyfriend, that was fun. I learned words I use to this day.

It didn't seem strange a the time but it certainly does now, I suppose about 60% of our staff were unmarried females. Make of that what you will. I suppose some of the older ones had lost their 'sweethearts' in the war, but that certainly didn't explain all of them.

Unfortunately, as far as I am aware there is only one other woman of my generation on this forum, I know she would probably have some strong opinions.
Let's face it, Mary, what we would have considered "scandalous" under the aegis of Aunty Dot, is these days par for the course ! We both know which pair of teachers was gay , though not necessarily partners...would have thought one of them, at least , had better taste than that !

I can remember one of my year being "sent home for health reasons" - turned out she was pregnant , I starred in my own personal mini-scandal during the trip to Millau - but again, only in Dot's eyes. This of course had it¡'s up-side when Fanny secretely started inviting me into her study from time to time for a sherry and a fag !

Basically, think we were too innocent/blinkered/walled-in to really get up to much - although I can remember the constant rumours about goings-on in the bathroom in 1s between 2 Mons. ( I have names here...)

Cheers
B.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Euterpe13 wrote: Let's face it, Mary, what we would have considered "scandalous" under the aegis of Aunty Dot, is these days par for the course ! We both know which pair of teachers was gay , though not necessarily partners...would have thought one of them, at least , had better taste than that !

I can remember one of my year being "sent home for health reasons" - turned out she was pregnant , I starred in my own personal mini-scandal during the trip to Millau - but again, only in Dot's eyes. This of course had it¡'s up-side when Fanny secretely started inviting me into her study from time to time for a sherry and a fag !

Basically, think we were too innocent/blinkered/walled-in to really get up to much - although I can remember the constant rumours about goings-on in the bathroom in 1s between 2 Mons. ( I have names here...)

Cheers
B.
I think Auntie Dot was a bit like Queen Victoria in that respect.

The gardener thing was true though, walls didn't keep him out. The cherry picked belonged to someone we both knew very well. I bumped into her about 10 years ago and she confirmed it.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

englishangel wrote:We also had a maths teacher still lived with his mother. The A'Level maths group had hours of innocent fun 'Sharon Stoning' him. He was a redhead which meant he blushed terribly.
Not the full Sharon Stone, surely ??? :shock:

I thought that old classrooms would be a bit draughty for that......

Almost feel sorry for the bloke - when I was a 21 year-old language assistant in a French school, I had to cope with girls who were only 2 or 3 years younger than me trying out their 'provocative' looks, etc. That was distracting enough!

Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Mid A 15 wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:

All very sad.......

Yes very sad indeed. A good friend of mine read Classics at Oxford thanks largely to John Smith's teaching.

How tragic that, from what you say, his sense of self worth appeared to differ so much from his true worth to others. That is the evil of depression though. It erodes people's self esteem.
Forgot to mention.....

Perfect use of the quote button!!

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Scandal

Post by englishangel »

Richard Ruck wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote: If you click on the quote button it will copy all the text from the post from which you wish to quote.

All very sad.......

Forgot to mention.....

Perfect use of the quote button!!
I always wondered how you did that.

Perhaps you should start a 'help' thread.

Yes, the full Sharon Stone, only in the summer though.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Re: Scandal

Post by Richard Ruck »

englishangel wrote: I always wondered how you did that.

Perhaps you should start a 'help' thread.

Yes, the full Sharon Stone, only in the summer though.
Erm, not much technical help from me, I'm afraid. I'm only a novice at this sort of thing.

Now I really DO feel sorry for the bloke - girls are always that bit more inventive in their cruelty (not that this was notable for its subtlety).

I can't think of any occasion we boys might have had to pop the 'old chap' out during a lesson. The only female teacher I remember was the late Olive Peto - I don't think she would have paid the slightest bit of attention.

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

WOW - THIS THREAD HAS REALLY TAKEN OFF.

As I used to work in the field of Statistics within Local Government. (I know: There are statistics, statistics and damn lies), lets consider the possibilities.

Statistics say that one in ten of all adults are strictly homo/les,

One in FOUR will have strong bi-tendencies.

How many teachers are there at C.H. these days ??

(Hmmmmm !!!) :roll:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

Richard Ruck wrote:Almost feel sorry for the bloke - when I was a 21 year-old language assistant in a French school, I had to cope with girls who were only 2 or 3 years younger than me trying out their 'provocative' looks, etc. That was distracting enough!
i'm going off to be a language assnt in austria in a week. i'm 20, they finish school there at 19, unless they repeat a year or two in which case they'll be my age or older! HELP :!:
helen
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by helen »

englishangel wrote:Unfortunately, as far as I am aware there is only one other woman of my generation on this forum, I know she would probably have some strong opinions.
Just saw this bit. I'm not far off - a little before you, although it sounds as if things had changed quite a lot even then - male math teacher???Amazing. I just looked at your profile though and saw you were in 2's. Tell me, was Mrs. Winstone still there in your time?(perhaps this should be in the 'remembering CH staff etc. section but I dont know if you look there.) If so, what survival strategies did you use?
As for scandals, well, I dont know any of the sexual kind so perhaps anything else does not interest the readers of this thread . . ??Perhaps it is scandalous that we didn't even have the opportunity for a scandal or two.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Hendrik wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:Almost feel sorry for the bloke - when I was a 21 year-old language assistant in a French school, I had to cope with girls who were only 2 or 3 years younger than me trying out their 'provocative' looks, etc. That was distracting enough!
i'm going off to be a language assnt in austria in a week. i'm 20, they finish school there at 19, unless they repeat a year or two in which case they'll be my age or older! HELP :!:
I#m sure you'll enjoy it Hendrik! ;)
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99