"In This Place, 1927-2004 - Memories of Christ's Hospit

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

"In This Place, 1927-2004 - Memories of Christ's Hospit

Post by jtaylor »

Just a quick note to point people at the book by Barclay Hankin, released recently - over 350 copies already sold!

I'm not usually much of a book-fan (I've read Harry Potter, and that's about it!) but having been lent a copy, I've been hugely impressed, enough to buy my own copy!

It's NOT one of these heavy-read history books, it's more a collection of short facts/info and 270 photos spanning the last 77 years of CH, including a large number of pictures I've not seen elsewhere.

There's certainly something in it for all Old Blues, whatever their era, as this spans the changes that have happened, right up to the last few years.

Anyone interested in buying a copy, details can be found here:-
http://www.chassociation.org/news.php#240805
£10 per copy, and Barclay is kindly donating all profits to the CHA...

Cheers,

J
Last edited by jtaylor on Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
helen
UF (Upper Fourth)

Re: "In This Place, 1927-2004 - Memories of Christ's Ho

Post by helen »

jtaylor wrote: It's one of these heavy-read history books,
Do you mean it's NOT one of those etc.?

Is there much about Hertford in it?
Any pupil input?

Thanks
Last edited by helen on Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Re: "In This Place, 1927-2004 - Memories of Christ's Ho

Post by jtaylor »

helen wrote:
jtaylor wrote: It's one of these heavy-read history books,
Do you mean it's NOT one of those etc.?
Yes, thanks for the correction (original now edited above)!

J
Last edited by jtaylor on Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

The introduction of the book:-
"This book covers a long period. It arose as a suggestion from Wendy Killner, originating from Old Blues in her Coffee Room. It is not a history book, more a series of illustrated 'memories' aided by occasional rhymes, textual pieces and footnotes. I freely used extracts from "The Blue" and "Housey" and one or two from the Press. CH will sell it 100% in aid of the new CH Association. It will not be obtainable from High Street shops.
Much has changed since I entered CH Horsham in 1927, but sadly it is not possible to cover every aspect, or all the complexities of a very active school. I offer it to Old Blues of all ages or others interested, with just a taste of CH life and people over the whole period." - Barclay Hankin, Chichester, Dec 2004
From my (not thorough) skim-reading of the book, it's mainly CH Horsham focussed, as this is the perspective which the author will obviously have.
There's quite a bit about the merger in 1985, and given that it's pulled from The Blue and Housey there's lots of input from others in articles through the book.
Certainly from my perspective it's provided some fascinating snippets of facts, stories and pictures from before I was at CH, followed by some interesting reminders of my time there, and then some insight into how the school's changed since.

Worth £10 of anyones money I'd say!

Give me a shout if there's anything else I can provide info on,

Cheers,

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992