Sad news - death of Terry Clark, theatre

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Sad news - death of Terry Clark, theatre

Post by jtaylor »

Received from John Denison, via Wendy Kilner.
John Dennison wrote: I am afraid I have to report to you (for circulation amongst Old Blues) the death of Terry Clark, technical manager of the Theatre from 1979 - 94.
There is an announcement in today's Daily Telegraph (19th Aug).
He was diagnosed with terminal cancer last December, and has borne the deteriorating condition with immense fortitude, but now the end has come, peacefully and at home.
He was 64.
He leaves his widow Barbara. The funeral is on Thursday Aug 25 in Norwich.
If you would like further details of the funeral, or contact details, please get in touch with me (email link below) or Wendy Killner at the CHA office (administrator@chassociation.org)

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

That's a shame. He was an amazing impressionist as I remember - he used to do the entire cast of Dad's Army.
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I don't remember him that well but I am sure he always used to smoke a pipe! RIP
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
BTaylor
Deputy Grecian

Post by BTaylor »

A sad day, but full of fond memories.

I spent many a happy hour with him in the theatre. He wasn't one to take any nonsense, adopting the view that if you couldn't take the sh1t in the closed environs of CH, you had no chance in the real world.

He taught me a lot about not allowing people to take the piss.

How many other theatres, school or not, can say their technical director was trained at RADA?
Thornton 85-92
Happy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Happy »

Thats very sad. Terry was a really decent bloke.
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

Oh my. That's very sad. I used to get Christmas Cards from him after he/I had left CH. He was fab. I learnt a lot about working in the real world from him and being on stage crew.
Gripper
2nd Former

Post by Gripper »

I spent 5 very happy, challenging and fulfilling years working on the "crew" under Terry.

I learnt many things, under his guidance, during that time that have benefitted me throughout my life - not all of them suitable for printing!

I have little doubt that all who passed through the same environment will be able to say the same.

A good man - RIP.

Best wishes to 'Bibs'

PIP.
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

Dreadfully late in seeing this but still wanted to add my comments.

I got invovled in the theatre early on in my time at CH and initially started working with Duncan Noel Paton as a production assistant on shows then I got the chance to stage manage. It was funny because there was always an uneasy relationship between the two of them and i think I was meant to be some sort of spy in the opposing camp except I always preferred working backstage with Terry. He was a great guy who taught me a lot and introduced me to The Producers (the Mel Brooks film and now musical). He did a great Eric Morecombe impression which I have a photo of and was very supportive when we put gigs on. He also took a group of us to various BBC studios and we had lunch with a high up BBC exec in the BBC restaurant where I got in to an argument with the exec about my being a vegetarian but still wearing leather shoes.

Anyway Terry was a nice guy. I last spoke to him in about 1995 to get some tips on painting a stage floor. I wanted to see if he had a quick way to do it and he told me in no uncertain terms that I had to get off my arse and just do it!