My Lifelong Hatred of Sport: Was CH to Blame?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Bingo the Poop-Eating Dog
LE (Little Erasmus)

My Lifelong Hatred of Sport: Was CH to Blame?

Post by Bingo the Poop-Eating Dog »

I utterly loathe and detest sport as the most moronic activity known to mankind. Even nose-picking is more constructive. Playing sport strikes me as totally and utterly footling (unless you can make loads of money from it), but watching other people play sport is the most preposterously pointless activity of all in my book. I just don't get it. What's so great about sport?

My own attitude was definitely formed as a result of attending CH: that much I do know. The vicious pack instinct that had members of one's own team rounding on one, shouting and swearing, if one cocked up even slightly on the pitch (not that one even wanted to be there in the first place.) The way in which such a totally insignificant thing as a sports match was taken so violently seriously - as if knocking a ball about on a patch of grass really mattered. And then there were all those dismal grey afternoons spent 'supporting' a game one didn't give a toss about. To this day, the distant sound of shouting and whistle-blowing borne on the breeze makes me feel sooo depressed...

Schools probably think that team sports foster team spirit, but boys are pretty much just wild animals which turn on their own kind at the drop of a hat. Sport actually fosters really negative traits, like insane competitiveness and (among supporters) decidedly nasty tribalism. By the end of my seven years at CH I never wanted to see or hear any more sport in my life (not even tiddlywinks or dwile flonking). And as for those all-in-together-boys showers...obviously invented by the same pervert who invented doorless WC cubicles.....I shudder.

Sensitive souls like me just weren't compatible with CH sports etc. I bet there are other folks out there who developed a lifelong hatred of sport, eh?
BTaylor
Deputy Grecian

Post by BTaylor »

So it's not just me!

Those looks of incredulity never seem to lessen when you explain that you don't actually support a football team and have asbolutely no interest in doing so.
Thornton 85-92
Ash
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Ash »

yep, sport sucks... People get far too over into it all I reckon... Particularly money based sports like Formula 1 and Football... It is always the richest team/manufacturer that wins...

Crap sports both of them!

**ducks head, waiting for a barrage of abuse!***
MAINE A/B 1981 - 1986

BRING BACK BAKER
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Football is bad.... mush rather watch rugby or cricket...

Never been any good at sports though!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Well, I have to disagree a bit - I still love watching rugby, and enjoyed playing it too, but that's probably because it's the only sport I ever played to a reasonable level.

I must say, though, there were times I would have happily decked one of my own team for being too 'hearty' and being unforgiving of the slightest error.

I often thought of inviting an opposing team to land one on so-and-so "because we think he's a complete arse too".

My personal gripe was being forced to play cricket - it just took up SO much time which could otherwise have been doing something constructive (such as going to Horsham to buy booze).

So, yes and no, really, I certainly don't hate sport, but its place in life should be kept in perspective.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
eloisec
Deputy Grecian

Re: My Lifelong Hatred of Sport: Was CH to Blame?

Post by eloisec »

Bingo the Poop-Eating Dog wrote:The vicious pack instinct that had members of one's own team rounding on one, shouting and swearing, if one cocked up even slightly on the pitch (not that one even wanted to be there in the first place.) The way in which such a totally insignificant thing as a sports match was taken so violently seriously - as if knocking a ball about on a patch of grass really mattered. And then there were all those dismal grey afternoons spent 'supporting' a game one didn't give a toss about. To this day, the distant sound of shouting and whistle-blowing borne on the breeze makes me feel sooo depressed...
I couldn't agree more! Remember being forced by other members of Col A to play goalie in the house hockey competitions. Was told it was for the good of the House. Load of ~~~. If it was that great I'm sure someone else could have done it. Hated every depressing minute of it. Quite frankly it was bullying under the guise of team/house spirit.
Eloise Carpenter
Col.A 87-94
Chammy
3rd Former

Post by Chammy »

I love sport because i'm naturally good at just about every one *takes a bow* thank you, thank you.

i see what you guys say about not wanting to watch football matches and so on, but what really pissed me off was when the computer geeks in our house didn't bother coming to support their peers and then digging into the pizza we were awarded later.

but they shouldn't make you play compulsory rugger. in the end they abolished our year's squad (U15s) because no one wanted to coach us as we all hated it and we screwed around so much.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Sport itself is not the problem. The problem, as in other walks of life, is that an unpleasant minority can ruin the activity for others by their negative condescending attitude.

As a technophobe, who regards successfully posting a message here to be a major achievement, I have found those that are technologically "in the know" to be as equally patronising and intimidating as the worst kind of "hearty" sports person.

Some people, whatever they do, can't help saying I'm better than you ner! ner! ner! ner! ner!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Tim
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Tim »

This is interesting.

I recently (well, over the past few years) managed to shock both the headmaster of my time (Poulton) and my housemaster (Richard McDonald) because, during my time at CH, I went to every length not to take part in any sporting activity.

Well, almost all, I did represent Sussex (and CH) in athletics chucking a discus, and I ran the 400m AND 200m for the school many times, but as that wasn't cricket or rugger it barely qualified as a sport. Boomer kept it going pretty much single-handedly if I recall correctly.

Anyway, I shocked Poulton in particular because I met up with him a year or so ago in Switzerland, where I was in the middle of one of my three-seasons-per-year of mountaineering / skiing / ice climbing. Since CH - in fact since Uni - I've got really into this kind of man-vs-the-elements outdoor sport and like to think I've got reasonably competent. I do a lot of rock climbing and general hill walking when not over in Switzerland doing the higher / colder stuff.

I'll watch football / rugby if forced, and if it's England playing I'll get as excited as the next person, pint in hand, shouting at the pub TV.

I really can't get excited about club-level footy though. Dull game, played by a bunch of overpaid, underbrained primadonnas!

Cricket, on the other hand, I've discovered since CH (where it was terminally dull, and in any case, I was off being a real athlete in the summer term!). Magnificent game.
Tim Benjamin
PeB: 87-90 :)
PeA: 90-91 :(
MidB: 91-93 :D
http://www.timbenjamin.com
Clements Theory: http://www.clementstheory.com - E-learn music theory!
Study guides and thousands of practice questions for Associated Board Grade 5 Theory
Rod Stuart
2nd Former

Post by Rod Stuart »

I have always thought watching football, was rather like visiting a pub and watching people drink. utterly pointless.
FrogBoxed
Deputy Grecian

Post by FrogBoxed »

I hated gym. We were forced to wear vile blue "gym knickers" which were perfect for the psycopathic (russian?) instructor to hold one by as another attempt at a forward roll went pear-shaped. Because they were nylon, they took a wedgie to new levels because they had added static... *ouch*

On the other hand I was lucky enough to be at CH when the new sports centre first opened. And even luckier that a member of staff spotted a latent talent for swimming... consequently, when it became clear that I could only throw a javelin when standing still, they gave up and I managed to wangle my way out of most other summer sports to spend about 4 hours a day at the pool. Bliss!

As a self-proclaimed non-sports person, who had been largely put off sport by being forced to stand on a freezing hockey pitch/wear blue gym knickers/go anywhere near the cinder track, it was one of the proudest moments of my life when I was awarded my swimming VIII.
Louise Barr Col B 89–96 | Frog Box Design
helen
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by helen »

I used to quite like 'games' as called them at my local primary school before I went to CH, but after those difficult 7 years I am, like the author of this thread, quite put off, and rather puzzled as to why people get so passionate about it. I hated going to Ashbourne (Hertford era) in drizzling rain and having to endure all that hockey, and then cricket in the summer - ugh.And yes, the knickers were awful, and we had to wear two pairs - linings and the blue things.And terrible saggy swimsuits. As for swimming I was forced to take part in a swimming period despite my feelings of nausea and chills, and ended up in the infirmary with pleurisy, and had to spend part of my precious summer holiday there. The fanatic gym teacher, Miss Park (who lived suspiciously with her macho lady friend Miss King, of the brown brogues and constant jolly good smile) lived in pleated shorts and plimsolls, and put us through horrid physical jerks that i am sure haven't done my joints any good. The only appeal of getting onto a school team was that one could get off the 'campus' every now and then and visit the outside world, and during the half time periods of competitive games one got nice little bits of fruit dowsed in sugar which were never on the regular menu.In my afterlife I disliked the idea that in sport all that we were supposed to teach kids about cooperation and niceness etc. went out the window. It was bad to be competitive - except in sports. It was bad to show pride in achievement - except in sports. It was bad to fight people - except in sports.It was bad to brag about skills - except in sports etc etc.
But in the end, the bottom line and so on - I'd rather people got rid of their excess energies , testosterone and so on in sports than in war. I just don't look at it, or take part in it in any organised or competitive way. The odd game of tennis, the good long walk, and the beach swim on a hot day or a bike ride through the countryside are enough for me. Each to his own I suppose.
I should write a limerick about this but there's too much to say!
Last edited by helen on Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
kaaa
3rd Former

Re: My Lifelong Hatred of Sport: Was CH to Blame?

Post by kaaa »

eloisec wrote:I couldn't agree more! Remember being forced by other members of Col A to play goalie in the house hockey competitions. Was told it was for the good of the House. Load of ~~~. If it was that great I'm sure someone else could have done it. Hated every depressing minute of it. Quite frankly it was bullying under the guise of team/house spirit.
eloise - I too have a lifelong hatred of hockey - at least the bitches didnt make you stand around in your games kit freezing at the side of the pitch for the entire game because you were the substitute! and the cooler kids just bunked off, but I got the sh1t beaten out of me if I did bunk off.

I didnt wear my glasses because we didnt have spare pairs and so it was no bl**dy wonder I was crap when I couldnt see the ball not matter how much the cows screamed at me!

And whilst I was good at swimming it wasnt hockey and so wasnt recognised. I remember the ignominy of having to take swimming lessons because the other girls couldnt swim and I had done my 1000m at age 9! oh listen to me! :D that I can still remember this! :D

Like other posters though, since CH I've been involved in shed loads more sport once I left! eg scuba diving, hiking, rock climbing, more swimming, and loving it.

So in answer to the original question:- no I dont have a lifelong hatred of sport, but I do have a lifelong hatred of hockey.
Andy Friend
3rd Former

Post by Andy Friend »

I'm not sure that my lifelong hatred of sport was started at CH. I just find the whole affair so dull. People can't believe it when you say you don't support a football team. In fact I actually dislike football so much that I don't even watch it when England are playing.

I am predisposed to watching rugby when it's on or golf, but aside from that I can't stand it!!!!
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I'm with Andy when talking about football - it just doesn't interest me!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99