The Blue

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

The Blue

Post by Hannoir »

I just got a copy through the mail.

Dull.

Dull.

Dull.

Thoughts anyone? I'd rather have school news. And I said that in the questionnaire.
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

But I was in it Hannah - didn't that make the difference? ;-)

I think there's a thread for this somewhere...

But I think that this Blue is just for the Old Blues (Ie, the 2nd half of the Blue from previous years) but the 'School' Blue (the first half of the old Blue) will come out later on next term and we have to pay for that.
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

If you find it dull, then start contributing, or inviting people to contribute!

It's only as good as the contributors - it's voluntarily edited by John Hopgood, who does a great job for no reward.

I think you need to be a little more constructive in your criticism??

With the split of The Blue, and The Old Blue, the Blue will very definitely be the school magazine, which we'll be able to order (and hopefully download at some point if it doable) with school record and articles.

The Old Blue is going to be Old Blue centric, communicating the hugely diverse interests and activities of the Old Blue community - BUT we need articles!!

Any budding journalists out there who'd like to write an article, John will be really happy to hear from them..

Sorry to come to such a strong defence - but John Hopgood does a great job, puts in huge amounts of time and effort, and I think it's a bit harsh to be that blunt about it!

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

I would agree Julian that it is unfair to criticise John Hopgood as any edition of The Blue is only as good as the contributions sent in, as you imply.

However I, like Hannoir, also voted for the status quo regarding The Blue on the questionnaire yet it appears the decision to change the format is a fait accompli.

However we now have the new formats so we need to try and make them work.

One suggestion I have is to involve pupils who may have an interest in journalism or media studies. They could interview Old Blues and then write an article about them. Mark Thomas is an example who would appeal or at least interest all generations of Old Blues. Andrew Higgins and Sean Davey could perhaps give their perspectives on Premiership Rugby. Jason Flemyng on life as a filmstar etc, etc.

I think the recent "Old" Blue would have limited appeal to someone of Hannoir's vintage. Even I felt quite young reading it! No reflection on John Hopgood as he publishes what he receives. If we are not prepared to contribute where we can then we get the magazine we deserve and cannot really complain if it does not interest us.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Mid A 15 wrote: However we now have the new formats so we need to try and make them work.
Hear hear.
Mid A 15 wrote: One suggestion I have is to involve pupils who may have an interest in journalism or media studies who could interview Old Blues and then write an article about them. Mark Thomas is an example who would appeal or at least interest all generations of Old Blues. Andrew Higgins and Sean Davey could perhaps give their perspectives on Premiership Rugby. Jason Flemyng on life as a filmstar etc, etc.
Excellent idea, and I believe feelers are being put out to some of the more famous Old Blues. The key here is to identify people who know them personally, who can then approach/push them to add a contribution....anyone who has those contacts should contact John direct...
Mid A 15 wrote: I think the recent "Old" Blue would have limited appeal to someone of Hannoir's vintage. Even I felt quite young reading it! No reflection on John Hopgood as he publishes what he receives. If we are not prepared to contribute where we can then we get the magazine we deserve and cannot really complain if it does not interest us.
Definitely true - John's keen to get more younger contributions, on gap years etc. etc. so that people can see some varied age-group contributions, so there's something for everyone in OUR "Old Blue" magazines through the Old Blue community. You'll note that John drew heavily from the Forum, and this will certainly provide one source of info on the activities of some of the younger Old Blues....
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

The Blue and the Ch Association/CH Club

Post by jhopgood »

Just got back from London and happy to receive all the criticism you can throw as long as you back it up with some way to make it more interesting for the whole of the CH community.
You should rememebr that the only ones who got a free copy of the Blue were members of the CH club, whose average age exceeds mine. So it is not surprisiing that they wrote about and for their generation.
Now that it will go out to all Old Blues, I need more variety of contributions.
Rex Sweeny has done a great job trawling the net and newspapers to get items from as broad a population as possible, but he cannot do it all alone and I would be only too glad to have lots of collaborateurs coordinating different sections, so all who want to help please sign up.
BTW, the school took the decision to have one Blue dedicated principally to school news with an round up of OB news. You were not alone in wanting to keep school news.
Also, the recent Blue was done in a 1950/60 style precisiely to show how boring the format used to be, so that the New Old Blue will really hit you between the eyes, contributors committing.
Chuck it at me, I'm old enough and big enough to take it, I just want to get it right for the most number of readers. This is your magazine.
No slanging matches please.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
jhopgood
Button Grecian

The Old Blue

Post by jhopgood »

Surprisingly, the Blue has been going for over 100 years and Old Blue participation for almost as long, all based around the interest in what was going on at CH and what OB's were up to.
At times it has been used for Sports club results, meetings of other OB based societies but this has tended to be reduced as societies come and go. Hopefully news on the progress of the new sailing society will be included in future, just as in the early editions there were reports on the OBRC, which turned out to be rowing.
It may well be that people only become re-interested in CH and former colleagues when they are in their dotage, but the mere existence of this web site would tend to indicate the contrary.
If no-one is interested in the magazine, it will cease to exist, but we now have an opportunity to broaden the subject matter, whilst still being based around the OB community.
No new ideas will mean that we continue the way we are, not something I would want, but there are still readers out there who like it that way.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Another idea, not sure how easy or feasible to do though.

A "what happened to" feature on Senior Grecians. Given the prestige Senior Grecians have within the school most readers of the same era would at least know of them.

Depending on space and participation constraints Senior Grecians from different decades could be featured in the same issue to broaden the interest.

Again pupils with a journalistic or media studies inclination may find it beneficial to get involved.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
FRIDGE
2nd Former

Post by FRIDGE »

How do you actually go about submitting articles to the old blue?
jhopgood
Button Grecian

The Old Blue

Post by jhopgood »

First the easy bit.
I prefer electronic submissions as all I do is read them, then ensure that they are in Word format before putting them all together and sending them off to someone who puts them in a Quark programmme and sends me a pdf for review.
So send any letters, articles etc to either CH, attn CHA, Sara Voice or Wendy Killner, or e-mail to me at jhopgood@tiscali.es.
The address is in previous Blues but not te last one.
I am looking for sub-editors/jounalists/ideas to either look after an interest group, (I already have an offer for music), and would like offers for others. This could mean trawling newspapers/the internet for news on OB's of certain decades, roving reporters to visit OB's of interest etc.
It would be great to get a pupil on board but not as easy as you might think.
Keep the ideas/offers rolling in.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

Sorry I was a bit hasty there.

I think there has been a breakdown of communication between the school and people (unless im stupid) and I was under the impression that they were combining it all into one (still) but making it different. I was still expecting school news really and it came as a bit of a shock.

I think the section as it stands isnt that bad, personally i find the news sections the most interesting and dont tend to read the obituaries bit cos im a young un. More articles for the younger audience would be good, like careers and travelling and stuff.
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
Tim
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Tim »

So how do I subscribe to this sort of thing? I don't think CH has my correct address any more, but they do have my phone number as someone rang my mobile AND landline the other day asking for a donation of some sort. Is there one handy person to contact with my correct details?
Tim Benjamin
PeB: 87-90 :)
PeA: 90-91 :(
MidB: 91-93 :D
http://www.timbenjamin.com
Clements Theory: http://www.clementstheory.com - E-learn music theory!
Study guides and thousands of practice questions for Associated Board Grade 5 Theory
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Try

Wendy Killner

CH Association Administrator

01403 247665

administrator@chassociation.org
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

I've already posted this on a different 'The Blue' message board, however, I have a full set of 'The Blue' from Michaelmas Term 1973 until now. Before they go for recycling, should anyone want them then please let me know.

Andrew Loring
LHA / Col A 1973 - 1980
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

In what was the CH Club room at CH, there are bound copies of all the Blues going back to almost the beginning, so if anyone needs to see them, they are available.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)