Which prison?

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

richardb
Forum Moderator

Which prison?

Post by richardb »

No, not a consumer guide to prisons.

I am rather out of touch with prisons in the South East, the last one I visited rather ironically being a flying visit (literally, via Gatwick) to HMP Lewes to see a supergrass.

So although that they will all be held at Lewes prison until they are dispersed, I have no idea where they go next. Anyone know?

There has been mention on here of HMP Whatton but they are a long way off that and in any case it will not be open to Husband, Karim and Dobbie all the time they remain in denial:

http://www.justice.gov.uk/contacts/pris ... er/whatton

My guess is that Husband will apply to be transferred to Yorkshire, which used to be known as Thorp Arch.

The Eagle eyed amongst you will have noticed from contemporaneous photos that the old lag Webb had a bag with him and trainers on, while Burr was carrying a Slazenger sports bag which might be thought to suggest that Webb told him what he needed to speed him on his way.
Molesworth 2
2nd Former

Re: Which prison?

Post by Molesworth 2 »

HMP Parkhurst is currently holding mostly sex offenders - the prisons on the Island all merged a few years ago. Not sure what ‘stage’ in your sentence you need to have reached to be moved there. Did find it quite amusing to see lots of HMP Parkhurst mugs in the local tourist shops, presumably made when that prison was seen as more of a hard man place rather than being full of sex offenders.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

T'internet (as they say where Husband comes from) is a wonderful thing. It has all answers.

Parkhurst is indeed a noncey boy prison:

http://www.justice.gov.uk/contacts/pris ... e-of-wight

Anyone know where "nonce" comes from?
bakunin
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by bakunin »

Supposedly "nonce" stands for "Not On Normal Community Exercise" (i.e. secluded from the regular crims) - but who knows if that's really true. Dictionaries say it's unknown.
wiki wrote: Several origins have been proposed; possibly derived from dialectal nonce, nonse (“stupid, worthless individual”), or Nance, nance (“effeminate man”), from nancy or nancyboy. Another theory is that it is a shortening or dialectal pronunciation of "no(t) once", a common defense of sexual predators in court of law.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

A senior judge told me it came from the early days of segregation when NONCE stood for Not On Normal Courtyard Exercise when exercise was indeed taken in the courtyard.
Chrissie Boy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Chrissie Boy »

It's also been suggested that it formerly stood for 'Not Of Normal Criminal Element'. Quite how the true meaning has come to be lost track of is hard to imagine.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

My source is a now retired senior judge. The exchange was about 20 years ago so he was a lot longer in the tooth than me.
Scazza
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Scazza »

Molesworth 2 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:19 pm HMP Parkhurst is currently holding mostly sex offenders - the prisons on the Island all merged a few years ago. Not sure what ‘stage’ in your sentence you need to have reached to be moved there. Did find it quite amusing to see lots of HMP Parkhurst mugs in the local tourist shops, presumably made when that prison was seen as more of a hard man place rather than being full of sex offenders.
Thanks, but this is depressing. My wife would have driven past today with our son on their summer holiday trip to her folks - a journey I have made many times too.

The best weather in the uk but I hope it is very hard time for them as IMO that's the best deterrent to them and others from offending again.

Are prisons enough? Even with US sentences and conditions you can't just lock away the problem forever.

Reform? I'm sceptical of reforming any of them. Karim was slimy, so was Dobbie and I vaguely remember Husband as very arrogant too. All incredibly manipulative, selfish, opportunistic - they would say anything to further their cause, all still protesting innocence. Try getting an appeal these days!

As an aside, how must it feel for a Grecian just finishing their exams to carry the CH name? I wonder what they think of the situation when conditions weren't rosy? I'm sure they're a bright, political, vocal bunch like we were!
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

I went past Lewes Prison yesterday and was reminded of the wonderful view it affords of the South Downs.
MrEd
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by MrEd »

It's not very clear is it, but it is clear where they went to teach.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

MrEd wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:02 pm
It's not very clear is it, but it is clear where they went to teach.

PRICELESS !!!!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I suggest Birmingham Prison.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

What about Oscar Wilde's comment that the accusation against him was a "nonsense case"? Or has that theory been debunked?
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.