Over on Facebook

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

LHA
Deputy Grecian

Re: Over on Facebook

Post by LHA »

Fertii wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:04 pm
LHA wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:07 pm
Great Plum wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:40 pm

Or to be fair, he wants an easy life and wasn’t expecting any of this...
And the decades of abuse appear not to bother him a bit.
Yawn.....

Because someone shuts a Facebook page they weren't bothered by what was going on? Seriously?

You also seem to think that the majority were aware of what was going on. We weren't. Simple as. Suspicions were had I am sure, but the majority really didn't know what was going on at all.... I am sure those that were affected didn't want it on the public domain in any shape or form, and to an extent, I am sure that that is why the Facebook page shut - it doesn't need to be speculated on or discussed for the benefit of the victims or indeed those that were related to the sentenced.
"Yawn" What an appropriate way of starting a discussion on this topic! Charming.

I were do I (or anyone) suggest that the 1990 forum guy knew of the abuse. I have no doubt he is as personally horrified by it as any other right thinking person. But your reaction is problematic isn't it. Have you bothered to read the post from two of the victims/survivors of the abusers on this forum - I hope they don't mind saying that they welcome the existence of this forum. It is a matter of record that people came forward because of the publicity. These things are incremental and press coverage plays a key part, once people are charged especially, in creating a means for people to come forward and report what happened to them. Your comment seems to suggest everything, trials included, should be secret. This would enable thousands to escape justice.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Since Webb and Burr pleaded guilty, a further person has come forward which has led to a sixth person being charged.

Publicity about the recent trial has led to further complainants coming forward in relation to Dobbie.
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

richardb wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:09 pm Since Webb and Burr pleaded guilty, a further person has come forward which has led to a sixth person being charged.

Publicity about the recent trial has led to further complainants coming forward in relation to Dobbie.
Exactly. The 'no comments' brigade, either deliberately or inadvertently prevent people coming forward.
bakunin
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by bakunin »

I've been shut down on Facebook for pretty much just repeating stuff that was reported in the newspapers.

It's the right of the moderator to make their own decisions, but excessive caution over potential libel is often ends up being used either unconsciously or consciously as a way to not deal with uncomfortable realities or just to shut down conversation in order to protect the school...

I am sure there are billions of libelous comments in the internet that will never be prosecuted, even when they attack powerful people with good lawyers.

Is being worried about libel equivalent to being worried about being caught pirating software? The number of people successfully sued vs. the number of people doing it must be less than 1:10,000 as far as pirqcy is concerned. Crossing the street without being run over is a substantially riskier business.

The risk of libel seems a little higher, but still not terribly worrying as long as phrasing is careful. If only this forum was hosted in another country, I think it would drop to almost zero. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

I’ll let Richard reply, but from my perspective I’m keen we keep the fair and moral high ground, and avoid the Forum from becoming a morally questionable environment. Also stick to the Ts and Cs, and be aware that the Forum doesn’t take responsibility nor liability for what’s posted on here - but that doesn’t mean we don’t care abiding by the law. The equivalent of doing 60 in a 30 is simply not acceptable just because the police are on coffee break!
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

If we all post sensibly then there shouldn't be a problem. The moderators will weed out anything obviously defamatory and then react to any complaints made.

We all had to exercise caution before the Husband/Dobbie trial because: (i) of the risk of prejudicing the trial (which in truth was not likely as no forum reader should have been on the jury; and (ii) at the stage nothing had been proved and it was all allegation.

Now that they have been convicted, the world at large is entitled to rely upon the convictions as proof that they did what they have been convicted of. Lawyers call this justification, ie the truth. You are also entitled to post opinions which are fair comment.

A lot of forums will delete a post because they are not sure where they stand. Others don't want the hassle.

This forum has become vibrant over the last three and a half weeks and has enabled serious debate about matters which affected us at school. It is no good the Head Master telling us how good things are now as we are not there. We are concerned about the historical abuse because it happened to some of us, could have happened to others of and quite likely happened to people who we regarded as friends at school.

I hope that my legal background helps in regulating the forum. Since Husband and Dobbie were convicted we have been able largely to keep things flowing. In that respect we may be a forum in a small minority.

As an afterthought. If there is anything you aren't sure about then please feel free to ask if it's OK.
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Very disturbing but eloquent witness statement re Peter Ball. CH & others get a mention at paragraph 14.

https://www.iicsa.org.uk/key-documents/ ... 000328.pdf

My sister was confirmed by Peter Ball & for over 20 years our mother had a picture in her front room of my sister with Ball on her confirmation day. It was hastily removed when I told my mother of his conviction.
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
bakunin
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by bakunin »

Even though I disagree with the decisions occasionally I would like to thank the moderators for maintaining a forum where open and honest discussion happens much more often than on Facebook.
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by yamaha »

Post by marty » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:07 pm

Very disturbing but eloquent witness statement re Peter Ball. CH & others get a mention at paragraph 14.

https://www.iicsa.org.uk/key-documents/ ... 000328.pdf

The redacted school is Lancing.
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by yamaha »

Did Ball visit CH?
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

marty wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:07 pm My sister was confirmed by Peter Ball & for over 20 years our mother had a picture in her front room of my sister with Ball on her confirmation day. It was hastily removed when I told my mother of his conviction.
There was a Christian sect I am currently studying where if a cleric (say a bishop for example) did the naughty like accepting anything without physically working for it or having sex or ...... then any previous laying on of hands was automatically deemed worthless.

If this happened a priest for example would have to travel nearly a thousand miles to Albania area to have his ceremony repeated by a good bishop
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

yamaha wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:01 am Did Ball visit CH?
Yes. He performed confirmations - I think he did my confirmation service. I don’t remember him being a regular visitor though. I’m hoping the school/police will be wanting to understand whether there’s more to uncover there, given the convicted Revd Dobbie was CH Chaplain, Ball was the local Bishop, and with the therefore obvious potential for more to be uncovered?
Did they each know each other’s proclivities and collaborate? Something for further investigation I’d hope - seems like could be quite a web and a paedophile ring in the Sussex area, given the Lancing and other school links in the area?
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Ball only got 32 months imprisonment. That is an outrageously lenient sentence.

He must have friends in low places.
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

yamaha wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:01 am Did Ball visit CH?
Yes he did my sister’s confirmation at CH.
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
scrub
Deputy Grecian

Post by scrub »

richardb wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:58 amHe must have had friends in low places.
The Prince of Wales for starters. Nothing like a bit of pressure from the son of the boss to make a lowly Archbishop nervous it seems.
At least they've stopped giving public support, which is something. Not much, and 30 years too late, but it's still a start.
ThB 89-91, PeA 93-96