The Blue

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

richardb
Forum Moderator

The Blue

Post by richardb »

At risk of showing how out of date I am, is this still published? If so, is it still printed or is it available online?

It used to be a place for the great and good to be praised for sporting and other prowess and chronicled life in the school. It welcomed arrivals and said farewell to the departers.

I remember the odd leaver who didn't get a mention in despatches because they had misbehaved.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Re: The Blue

Post by jtaylor »

CH Publications:-
https://www.christs-hospital.org.uk/inf ... lications/

2017 Blue:- http://issuu.com/aapublishing/docs/ch_f ... 8/54180484

The long and complex journey of “The Blue”, “The Old Blue” and the newsletters as means of comms to Old Blues has been highly controversial as it’s evolved.
When the CH Club closed, the remaining funds were ring-fenced for the continued distribution of “The Blue” - not sure what that’s morphed into in terms of how the funds are spent now.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

So it's full colour and available online. In my day it was black and white and one hard copy per boy.
Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Post by Spoonbill »

And you had to buy it. With actual money. Which was why I only ever owned one copy of it. I was habitually boracic.

After you left the school, you were sent it free for a year, presumably in a bid to keep you onside and make you want to be a governor one day.

I remember it mainly for it for the fact that ordinary kids hardly ever merited a mention in it. Probably there were some pupils who went right through their school careers without once getting namechecked in the House Notes. Now, that's what I call street credibility.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Sporting ability guaranteed regular mentions. Obesity didn't.
Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Post by Spoonbill »

Have you forgotten the Obesity Corner feature in every issue? Naming and shaming, with a picture of Billy Bunter?

O, the humiliation.