"Petition 2018" to Council for a "Truth & Reconciliation Inquiry"

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: "Petition 2018" to Council for a "Truth & Reconciliation Inquiry"

Post by yamaha »

suitably compensated without protracted legal proceedings and on a no fault basis
Absolutely right. No fault is important. The victim in Husband's case should not be subjected to any further ordeal by a lawyer seeking to reduce compensation.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Scazza wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:02 pm
Well said, sir. I am impatient for answers and want to get them but more time is required by the police. When they confirm enquiries are complete, we can move forward.
Maybe but how much more time will the police require. He who knows suggests a largish number of further victims so more trials may commence next year, 2020 and onwards. Will they actually confirm that their enquiries are finally complete - I wouldn't if I were them because some other action could crop up.

I do think we have to wait a bit but eventually hold an enquiry in respect of those completes criminal actions with the possibility of adding more. However, surely the need is to ensure and to persuade non staff that such behaviour has not only stopped but can never happen again. The headmaster tries to assure us of this but is he too close to the problem or beset by other matters to properly monitor this aspect?
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Scazza
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Scazza »

I'll defer to the legal experts but I'd have thought any inquiry will be more difficult if there are active police investigations, or even ongoing civil litigation, so as not to prejudice the outcome.

On that note, Id be interested in how public civil litigation is if anyone can shed any light? If the plaintiff asked for such large damages that the case would not be settled out of court or be liable to some confidentiality agreement then perhaps this could expose the schools failings in civil court? It would be piecemeal rather than a broader look at the failings over a longer period.

I suggested an interim letter to the school outlining concerns and expectations for a future inquiry but am beginning to think that this will just warn them off, encourage them to get their party line in place and potentially bring pressure on Julian et al to shut down debate.

What would be a useful step right now is to begin a list of old blues who are concerned about the convictions and who want an inquiry of some sort. I don't trust the independence of CHOBA but if others with more involvement do, then perhaps this is one mechanism to garner support. Perhaps someone could point refugees from closed Facebook groups to this forum if Julian is OK with that?
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Any civil litigation would be tried in open court with restrictions on publication of anything likely to identify the victims.

So the school would cop a lot of flak. The policy of moving naughty teachers on would fall for examination.

The bad press would be huge.

I am working on something for the Head Master regarding the move on policy. Unfortunately my day job gets in the way at times.
Scazza
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Scazza »

richardb wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:34 pm....I am working on something for the Head Master regarding the move on policy. Unfortunately my day job gets in the way at times.
I take it you mean a letter to the Head about the moving on of problem teachers by providing good references?

Won't that get the seemingly well worn 'before my time', 'can't comment on someone else's decision', 'everything is good at CH now' response?

It would be good to work with the school and just explain the need for answers. Perhaps a small working group is needed?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Scazza wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:05 pm
richardb wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:34 pm....I am working on something for the Head Master regarding the move on policy. Unfortunately my day job gets in the way at times.
I take it you mean a letter to the Head about the moving on of problem teachers by providing good references?

Won't that get the seemingly well worn 'before my time', 'can't comment on someone else's decision', 'everything is good at CH now' response?

It would be good to work with the school and just explain the need for answers. Perhaps a small working group is needed?

We've been through all this before, Scazza. I sent an e-mail direct to the HM at his personal e-mail address at school. No response, but he may be on jolly hols.

I've spent most of this afternoon going through the various CH School and Official OB's web sites Any mention or inference to the Schools current PR problems is glaringly absent, and will probably remain so until it either all quietens down, OR the press have an absolute field-day as more and more skeletons tumble out of the cupboard.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
RemedyLaw
3rd Former

Post by RemedyLaw »

Scazza wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:24 pm I'll defer to the legal experts but I'd have thought any inquiry will be more difficult if there are active police investigations, or even ongoing civil litigation, so as not to prejudice the outcome.

On that note, Id be interested in how public civil litigation is if anyone can shed any light? If the plaintiff asked for such large damages that the case would not be settled out of court or be liable to some confidentiality agreement then perhaps this could expose the schools failings in civil court? It would be piecemeal rather than a broader look at the failings over a longer period.

I suggested an interim letter to the school outlining concerns and expectations for a future inquiry but am beginning to think that this will just warn them off, encourage them to get their party line in place and potentially bring pressure on Julian et al to shut down debate.

What would be a useful step right now is to begin a list of old blues who are concerned about the convictions and who want an inquiry of some sort. I don't trust the independence of CHOBA but if others with more involvement do, then perhaps this is one mechanism to garner support. Perhaps someone could point refugees from closed Facebook groups to this forum if Julian is OK with that?
An inquiry is only going to have to tread water until the outcome of police investigations and so at this stage it would be unnecesary to begin this process and divert attention and resources away from the key outcome which is to secure convictions against perpetrators found to be guilty.

Any individual abused as a child is entitled to full anonymity throught the litigation process and totrial. The Defendant of course is not extended such privilege and so they will be unable to hide from the exposure of litigation. It is highly probable that any case brought linked to a secured conviction will not find it's way to the steps of the courtroom unless the individual is not given sound advice from their representation along the way and a properly pleaded and particularised case is not put before the Defendant forcing settlement negotiations.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Scazza wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:05 pm
At least in business a reference has become a statement that the person worked for the referer from (date) to (date) and his/her leaving was due to
- no work for him/her
- cutbacks in staff / closure of workplace
- mutual agreement
-the person's choice

ie says nothing. I suspect that one of the last two options would be chosen

That said I am starting to suspect that there is an underground by which one person says to another "come here, the pickings are easy" hence clusters of offences and offendors
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

In Karim's case he was apparently given a positively good reference despite being invited to "jump before he was pushed".

Should not have happened.
bakunin
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by bakunin »

Were teaching job references in the mid-90s the same as now though? I would have thought they still had a bit more detail then. Academic references still contain a lot of detail about the referand...
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

richardb wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:19 am In Karim's case he was apparently given a positively good reference despite being invited to "jump before he was pushed".

Should not have happened.
Who signed it?
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

Evening. I think I saw somewhere on the Forum that one of the letters sent out by CHOBA, at the time of charges but before convictions, referred to a review or inquiry of some sort which was to be undertaken by the school. I've just checked and can find no such reference in the letters I recieved from the school. Can anyone enlighten me please?
Scazza
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Scazza »

I don't recall there being any such comment (but my memory is quite poor!). I think we'd be less concerned if the school had suggested a way forward.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

I think that you will find that the suggestion of a 'Truth & Reconciliation Commission' came from me. I also observed that the CHOBA board has been totally silent on this matter, when it is supposed to lead in Old Blue matters.
My suggestion for a T&RC was really intended to get discussion going on how C.H. can get out of this mess with a modicum of dignity. It would be difficult to organise since it would have no powers to compel people to attend and would probably be expensive. At least C.H. would be seen to be taking the initiative.On the other hand a review set up by the government legal system would take ages to set up and would probably not report in under five years. Perhaps someone brighter than me can come up with a better suggestion??
David :shock:
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

I agree that the school should take the lead.

Whoever leads the review should not be one of the school's patsys.

Sadly the school think the problem is solved.