House structure

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

bakunin
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: House structure

Post by bakunin »

scrub wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:37 am I don't think any of the masters who were masons ever hid the fact (most notably Bob Sillett MBE), a lot of my peers who joined the lodge are equally open, and the school hosts lodge days. Freemasonry is wound into the very foundation of the Horsham site.
Mr Higgins (my chem teacher) was a member. I didn't know that until I looked at some event attendance lists.

Sillett is on record trying to suppress victims of abuse by threatening them with embarrassment in the papers (a lie given victim privacy rules at the time). Since he's the school's most prominent mason it's very relevant who else may have been, and not everyone was so public.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Was that "threat" by Sillett part of some overall attempt by him to cover up or was he specifically protecting Karim, ie was Karim a Mason?
peter2095
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by peter2095 »

Bakunin - Are you sure it was him and not a sibling or something?
If it takes 87 muscles to frown, if i frown throughout the day, can that count towards my daily work out?
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

As I have said on another thread, I think it was more likely to be incompetence and/or bullying to protect the good name of the school.

I would be surprised if Karim was invited into the masons.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

bakunin wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:15 am
scrub wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:37 am I don't think any of the masters who were masons ever hid the fact (most notably Bob Sillett MBE), a lot of my peers who joined the lodge are equally open, and the school hosts lodge days. Freemasonry is wound into the very foundation of the Horsham site.
Mr Higgins (my chem teacher) was a member. I didn't know that until I looked at some event attendance lists.

Sillett is on record trying to suppress victims of abuse by threatening them with embarrassment in the papers (a lie given victim privacy rules at the time). Since he's the school's most prominent mason it's very relevant who else may have been, and not everyone was so public.
Mr PF Higgins was a chemistry teacher and junior housemaster in Middleton A during my time and I believe his Christian name was (is) Peter.

I believe his son is called Andrew (the former Premiership and England Saxon rugby centre or wing) and that is the name showing on the information posted as a link to the actual thread re freemasons.
Last edited by Mid A 15 on Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

richardb wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:32 pm As I have said on another thread, I think it was more likely to be incompetence and/or bullying to protect the good name of the school.

I would be surprised if Karim was invited into the masons.
So would I !!!! :roll:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Wikipedia shows Andrew Higgins as an OB.

But it says he was born in Epping during what would have been termtime.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

richardb wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:35 pm Wikipedia shows Andrew Higgins as an OB.

But it says he was born in Epping during what would have been termtime.
I'd long gone so have no idea but is it possible that Andrew could have been adopted?

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

I cannot find an Andrew Higgins registered in the Epping area at the right time.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
scrub
Deputy Grecian

Post by scrub »

richardb wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:32 pmAs I have said on another thread, I think it was more likely to be incompetence and/or bullying to protect the good name of the school.
I agree, but I feel that some people would prefer a conspiracy to explain gross dereliction of duty because when you accept the alternative you naturally start to question whether the incompetence spread further. Much like probing an odd feeling tooth with your tongue; you want to judge whether a trip to the dentist is needed, but you're worried it'll end up in root canal and would rather blame it on a piece of parsley so you don't have to worry about it further.
richardb wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:32 pmI would be surprised if Karim was invited into the masons.
Don't see why not. Decent pedigree; an OB sponsored by Barnes Wallis, well regarded local mentors, and the right sort of career to be thought of as an upstanding citizen who could add to the order. All with the added bonus of some good PR for being a success story for the school.
ThB 89-91, PeA 93-96
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

Andrew is adopted, not that it has anything to do with Freemasons or the recent court cases.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

DazedandConfused wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:28 pm Andrew is adopted, not that it has anything to do with Freemasons or the recent court cases.
Or with us.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

I am reliably informed that NONE of the convicted criminals are Freemasons, including Karim.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.