A WAY AHEAD?

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

richardb
Forum Moderator

Re: A WAY AHEAD?

Post by richardb »

Can't agree the dust is settling.

Every court appearance is another round of bad press.

We have two more sentencings, another trial, perhaps an AG reference and the civil claims to go. And who knows who else may yet come forward.

The civil claims will be the worst press as the school itself will be on trial.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

richardb wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:25 pm
The civil claims will be the worst press as the school itself will be on trial.
Will be or would be? Have any been confirmed?
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Yes. Claims are in hand. Please forgive me if I say no more. I don't know the exact number.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

richardb wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:38 pm Yes. Claims are in hand. Please forgive me if I say no more. I don't know the exact number.
Of course.
coliemore
3rd Former

Post by coliemore »

A sound proposal: how to progress?
Janey Jam-Jar
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Janey Jam-Jar »

peter2095 wrote: “The independent inquiry into child sexual abuse is expected to look at boarding schools later this year.”
Does anyone know whether this has happened yet?

Also a thought has just occurred to me. If CH doesn't want to participate in an inquiry, might there be other options? It can't have functioned completely independently can it, it must have been/be a member of an independent schools association? Likewise might surviving staff and the SMT from the 80s/90s been members of teaching unions? Maybe those organisations can be involved in helping to ask questions at the very least, or applying pressure or instigating an inquiry?
[I've moved this from another thread.]
coliemore
3rd Former

Post by coliemore »

This is a comprehensive and well-thought out proposal, David. Well done. The Anglican Church of Canada has progressed a "Truth & Reconciliation" Commission regarding Residential Schools. The BBC investigative journalist Vanessa Feltz addressed the various court proceedings including via a BBC London Radio programme on July 11 2018 interview with an Old Blue victim - with plans to interview the Headmaster on a further programme. The transcript of this interview should be available via Vanessa Feltz. The BBC is internationally well respected for Panorama style fair, factual, independent investigations. There is related information in the context of the CofE diocese of Chichester on child abuse. The School/Council may now respond with their own wide-ranging Inquiry and Report in addition to the new measures introduced by Simon Reid which would be welcome if suitably structured. There is a developing groundswell on this Forum with a range of views which would benefit from being co-ordinated by 4-5 Old Blues - involving some who are senior & legally-trained - under your Chair or via a London/SE-based Old Blue Chair. The group would need to be accessible and actually meet severally with a clear mission to Petition for an Independent Truth & Reconciliation Inquiry in accord with your recommendations. Might this idea be addressed please by the Forum Co-ordinator/Administrator? All those like myself who love CH and seek for the Foundation to prosper in the context of the sui generis charitable mission/ethos surely applaud your initiative.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Listened to the Vanessa Feltz report, from BBC London, Wed 11 July 2018.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06b5d8c

00:08:15 - interview with Arthur, one of the abuse victims.
"Tried to contact the police and the school, but no one had taken him seriously"
"Complaints came from 22 former students"

1:06:00 - Simon Reid (HM) interview:
"It is staggering what was happening..."
"clearly not an environment which would stop this sort of thing"
"the culture has changed. We have a culture which encourages disclosure and openness"
"what we're looking at is a number of ways in which we can affect that reconciliation."

01:46:50 - Interview with current parent of 3 CH kids, youngest is 15 and currently at CH, very positive about CH.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

jtaylor wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:55 pm Listened to the Vanessa Feltz report, from BBC London, Wed 11 July 2018.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06b5d8c

00:08:15 - interview with Arthur, one of the abuse victims.
"Tried to contact the police and the school, but no one had taken him seriously"
"Complaints came from 22 former students"

1:06:00 - Simon Reid (HM) interview:
"It is staggering what was happening..."
"clearly not an environment which would stop this sort of thing"
"the culture has changed. We have a culture which encourages disclosure and openness"
"what we're looking at is a number of ways in which we can affect that reconciliation."

01:46:50 - Interview with current parent of 3 CH kids, youngest is 15 and currently at CH, very positive about CH.
I'd rather NOT comment, but sales of fire-buckets and sand in Sussex will increase.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Listening to the interview with Arthur, one can only conclude that there were many many others abused beyond the 22 who gave statements to the police.

A great respect for Arthur who was much more of a statesman than the Head Master.
Elvie
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Elvie »

Wasn’t Simon Reid teaching at the school before Dobbie left?

He seems to distance himself from those teachers who were there at the time in the interview