A WAY AHEAD?

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

Foureyes
Grecian

A WAY AHEAD?

Post by Foureyes »

Very sadly, it is clear that there is a lot of murkiness in the past five decades at C.H. and all (or, possibly not quite all!) concerned would like to see the facts exposed. It is also clear that few would trust C.H. itself to conduct such an investigation. So, I would like to suggest something on the lines of the South African Truth Commission:
General Principle. The Commission must be seen to be totally independent of C.H.
Composition. Three. A retired judge and a lay person, with impeccable records and NOT Old Blues. The third to be an Old Blue, also of impeccable record, one of who's tasks would be to interpret C.H. customs, etc, to the other two. How these might be selected and by whom would be a matter for further discussion.
Location. The Commission would sit and have an address at somewhere NOT C.H. It would also have demonstrably separate clerical support. Thus, no correspondence, either electronic or written, would pass through C.H.
Finance. This would cost some money, but I suggest that the funds currently set aside for the very elaborate replacement sports centre/swimming pool/running track would be much better spent clearing C.H.'s name in this way.
Legal Issues. Clearly there would be some major legal issues. For example, witnesses could not be compelled to attend, nor would those who did attend be compelled to give evidence on oath. There might also be problems over whether witnesses could have legal support. Legal advice would be required on all these aspects.
Timings. I suggest that this issue is casting such a dark shadow over C.H. and its reputation that firm and timely action is required. So, I suggest that the Commission starts work on 1 October 2018 and reports by 1 August 2019.

This is what my American friends would call "a straw man" - i.e., an outline proposal intended to get discussion going. But I do suggest that it is necessary to seize the initiative before C.H.'s reputation is tarnsihed for ever.
David :shock:
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: A WAY AHEAD?

Post by sejintenej »

Foureyes' detailed suggestion (and subject to those elements yet to be satisfied) which seems to satisfy most if not all requirements. It gets my thumbs up. In the circumstances I would not like the school to be in a position to load its friends in any enquiry.

The remaining questions are a) does the headmaster read these threads, b) is he prepared to recommend them and c) will the Council agree?

As for the judge, does richard know a retired one whose judgement he recommends or are there any others in the legal profession who could nominate one such?

The OB - that is a problem and it might be for an OB to only be an adviser to the enquiry (I suggests that the majority of us now are biased one way or the other). Perhaps the West Foundation (being long term foundation presenters) could recommend / supply one in place of the OB?
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

We'll just have wait and see how things pan out over the coming weeks.

A good idea in principle, but I can see a lot of hurdles to get over.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:19 pm We'll just have wait and see how things pan out over the coming weeks.
and exactly what are you/we waiting for until action? Irons hot strike
Hurdles are there to be smashed through and destroyed - both them and those who create them. . When the ******** put them the wrong way round and refused me permission to get the running track gravel out of my face and hands ..................... I got a round telling off for swearing. I can't remember if I got beaten for that - knowing Kit it is highly likely
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

sejintenej wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:29 pm
J.R. wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:19 pm We'll just have wait and see how things pan out over the coming weeks.
and exactly what are you/we waiting for until action? Irons hot strike
Hurdles are there to be smashed through and destroyed - both them and those who create them. . When the ******** put them the wrong way round and refused me permission to get the running track gravel out of my face and hands ..................... I got a round telling off for swearing. I can't remember if I got beaten for that - knowing Kit it is highly likely
Arr - The good old days. When you were told to jump, you didn't reply "Why", but "How high ?"

As for the first question. We have to wait and see how future cases, sentences pan out. If it was going to be a Government enquiry, I think even a 3 year wait would be too optimistic ! :oops:
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:41 pm If it was going to be a Government enquiry, I think even a 3 year wait would be too optimistic ! :oops:
JR: just two comments:
a) don't swear in public
b) remember the last government enquiry when it was found (AFAIR) that the suicide was not the fault of overenthusiasticand violent use of punishments by CH masters.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

To be totally honest, I've never ever had the greatest confidence in any Government proposed enquiry.

I still think the Grenfell Enquiry will be decorated with a large coating of whitewash, finger pointing and blaming all but the real guilty.

But Hey-Ho, thats allegedly democracy for you when politicians are involved.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Rupert Jackson is a now retired appeal court judge and OB to boot. He would be ideal.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

richardb wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:21 pm Rupert Jackson is a now retired appeal court judge and OB to boot. He would be ideal.
Sounds to be just the man, but wouldn't some people say there was a conflict of interest ?
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Lives in Surrey, Eh ? Not a bad choice.

A touch older than me, so our paths may well have crossed at Horsham, though I don't re-call the name, apart from the fact his surname was also my Mothers maiden name. No connection as far as I am aware. My mothers father was an OB though.
Janey Jam-Jar
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Janey Jam-Jar »

sejintenej wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:47 pm b) remember the last government enquiry when it was found (AFAIR) that the suicide was not the fault of overenthusiasticand violent use of punishments by CH masters.
When was this, sejintenej?
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Actually, I was not suggesting a government enquiry, with all that would entail. I envisage an enquiry set up by the Council of C.H. but thereafter strictly 'hands-off.' I think that could be made to work.
:shock: David
DeletedAccount

Post by DeletedAccount »

As Fouryeyes has just said, I think that what is being called for is a fully Independent Inquiry by the school/Council etc.

This would examine, for example, what happened and why it wasn't stopped, what was really known at that time by management (and others) and afterwards, the school's response at the time, the response in the intervening years (i..e between knowledge and prosecutions), the school's response following the start of investigations, the measures now in place, mechanisms for providing assurances that the mechanisms are working, lessons learned and recommendations (i..e additional mechanisms and measures).

What is key is that principles of independence, openness, transparency and "truth" are followed. Most importantly, this would help that all the mechanisms required to ensure that abuse is never repeated are in place, would help rebuild confidence and could, one imagine, be a vehicle for other innocent victims of abuse to make reports to the police.

So, whilst the truth and truth and reconciliation commissions that were mentioned at the start of this thread, were dealing with very different issues and purposes, I think that the example is a very good one given the focus on openness, getting to the "truth of what really happened", transparency and accountability etc. are key.

I hope that the school/Council gives full consideration to such an option.
Scazza
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Scazza »

Need to ratchet up the pressure on the school significantly before they'll spend any money dragging up negative press. Any inquiry report would have to be public eventually and would undo all the work of their new £19k PR person.

Need to all write to the school demanding answers. Is that the Head, the council of almoners, governors? All of the above?

The dust is already settling nicely as far as the school is concerned.....